PDA

View Full Version : Levi Jones anyone?

Kerr
04-29-2006, 01:18 PM
Everyone thought it was the same old bengals again with another bad pick when they reached for Levy Jones at 10. Jones has been nothing but a solid LT for them. So the moral of the story is to let the guy get on the field before you judge the pick. A reach is may be, but it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get Marv's justification for making the pick and why before you rip on him like he was TD's brother.

Crisis
04-29-2006, 01:19 PM
I was thinking of the exact same thing earlier.

We have a good track record with drafting Buckeye DBs so I won't pass any judgment till I see him on the field.

BillsFever21
04-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Keep telling yourself that. More times then not when a player is reached for like that he ends up being a bust instead of a Levi Jones or Dwight Freeney.

A good player? Maybe, but not worth the position he was drafted.

The Natrix
04-29-2006, 01:23 PM
Everyone thought it was the same old bengals again with another bad pick when they reached for Levy Jones at 10. Jones has been nothing but a solid LT for them. So the moral of the story is to let the guy get on the field before you judge the pick. A reach is may be, but it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get Marv's justification for making the pick and why.

:bf1:

Thank you.

I'm sure an effort was made to trade down but there was no one willing.

a pass defending safety was a huge need because of the switch to the cover 2.

I can see the want for a DT but come on, it's not like Marv went QB, WR or RB or something crazy stupid like that.

Whitner should be solid, just give it some time and RELAX.

Kerr
04-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Keep telling yourself that. More times then not when a player is reached for like that he ends up being a bust instead of a Levi Jones or Dwight Freeney.

A good player? Maybe, but not worth the position he was drafted.

So let me get this straight. You're *****ing because of the spot he was picked in, yet you say he could be a bust?

You can't have it both ways. If he's a bust, he would have a bust either at 8 or 14. I'm willing to give Marv the benefit of the doubt and let the kid step on the field before I cast him off at a total bust.

Saratoga Slim
04-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Crisis and Kerr, good posts. I am very happy to have Whitner on the roster, I think he's going to be a fantastic safety and Buckeye DBs certainly have a good track record.

I just can't understand why we didn't trade down a few spots and get another pick, even if it was in the later rounds. I am praying (for my and everyone elses' estimation of Marv), that there was no trading partner available.

I'm annoyed at the moment, but if the rest of the draft plays out well I'll be OK with this.

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 01:25 PM
LOL I knew this post was coming.. and trust me, someone else on this board who's name starts with a "I" will be on board with this pick within 48 hours.. He'll create a million million anti-Whitner posts before that though.

BillsFever21
04-29-2006, 01:26 PM
One other thing about that reach. At least it was for a LT and not a safety. LT is far more important to a team and much harder to find. There were plenty of quality safeties out there and not many teams looking for one. A NO teams at all who drafted shortly after us.

Kerr
04-29-2006, 01:27 PM
:bf1:

Thank you.

I'm sure an effort was made to trade down but there was no one willing.

a pass defending safety was a huge need because of the switch to the cover 2.

I can see the want for a DT but come on, it's not like Marv went QB, WR or RB or something crazy stupid like that.

Whitner should be solid, just give it some time and RELAX.

Yeah, and seeing as how many teams in the league use the pass to set up the run, you need to have good coverage out there. When an offense can't pass, they become one dimensional. When they try to run, they're predictable.

BillsFever21
04-29-2006, 01:27 PM
So let me get this straight. You're *****ing because of the spot he was picked in, yet you say he could be a bust?

You can't have it both ways. If he's a bust, he would have a bust either at 8 or 14. I'm willing to give Marv the benefit of the doubt and let the kid step on the field before I cast him off at a total bust.

I'd rather have a bust at #14 money while picking up an extra draft pick rather then being a bust at #8 money and no other draft picks.

Some people will just agree with anything their team does. We could've drafted anybody and there would still be people happy about it just because it's the Bills.

Kerr
04-29-2006, 01:30 PM
One other thing about that reach. At least it was for a LT and not a safety. LT is far more important to a team and much harder to find. There were plenty of quality safeties out there and not many teams looking for one. A NO teams at all who drafted shortly after us.

Go back in the bills draft history when polian was here with butler and marv the coach, and tell me how many LT's we've drafted with the 1st pick compared to safeties? They must have done something right if he got them to four straight superbowls and the playoffs before that.

Was Henry Jones a reach?

Statman
04-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Everyone thought it was the same old bengals again with another bad pick when they reached for Levy Jones at 10. Jones has been nothing but a solid LT for them. So the moral of the story is to let the guy get on the field before you judge the pick. A reach is may be, but it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get Marv's justification for making the pick and why before you rip on him like he was TD's brother.
Yeah, you're right!

Whitner may turn out to be a fine LT.

BillsFever21
04-29-2006, 01:32 PM
He might be a good player but unless he's a heavy impact player that scares people he won't be worth it and would be a bust for a #8 pick.

Had it been the same type of production at #15 or so then the player could be worth it. There's a big difference between the money paid and expectations from a guy drafted 8th or 15th.

That would be like reaching for a guy at #5. Even if he was a good player is he an impact player to be worth that high in the draft? Had he been drafted lower his value would've been worth it.

Kerr
04-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I'd rather have a bust at #14 money while picking up an extra draft pick rather then being a bust at #8 money and no other draft picks.

Some people will just agree with anything their team does. We could've drafted anybody and there would still be people happy about it just because it's the Bills.

What are you talking about? I've been critical of Marv signing Craig Nall and still don't see it as a good move, but the difference is nall has had a few years in the league and has done practically nothing impressive. Whereas whinter hasn't played a down yet and peaple are already whining about the pick. Let the pick play before you are critical.

Kerr
04-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Yeah, you're right!

Whitner may turn out to be a fine LT.

Yeah ok wise ass.

patmoran2006
04-29-2006, 01:35 PM
I think its a matter of NOT trading down more so than taking Whitner.

It was common knowledge we were likely to take Ngata or Bunkley or trade down.. We did neither and drafted Whitner.

This does PROVE obviously Huff would have been the pick at 8 if the Raiders didnt take him.

Kerr
04-29-2006, 01:36 PM
He might be a good player but unless he's a heavy impact player that scares people he won't be worth it and would be a bust for a #8 pick.

Had it been the same type of production at #15 or so then the player could be worth it. There's a big difference between the money paid and expectations from a guy drafted 8th or 15th.

That would be like reaching for a guy at #5. Even if he was a good player is he an impact player to be worth that high in the draft? Had he been drafted lower his value would've been worth it.

I know there is a difference in money, but wtf are you gonna do there wasn't a trading partner? For all you know he could turn out to be an impact player for us.