PDA

View Full Version : The Sky is falling, the Sky is falling!

muestafa1
04-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Lets get real. The Bills have taken two players that fill need positions. The Bills obviously wanted these two bad enough to "reach" and get them. None of us know if these players would've been available in later rounds because other teams are "reaching" as well. I know this may come as a suprise, but NFL teams don't use Mel Kiper mock drafts to select players. Each team makes their own assesment of who who is the best fit for their organization and if that means going against the draft experts (who are never held accountable for the way their past pics have panned out) and reaching for a player, than so be it.

Don't forget how hit and miss the draft is... Late round picks can become superstars and first rounders can become busts... Until these guys actually play several NFL games nobody really knows how good or bad they are.

What I'm trying to say is this: Don't have a stroke or burst a vein until these guys have at least played a few games. If the guys we pick today are playing like crap, have shown no signs of improvement and it's the last game of the season, well then go ahead and have that stroke... Until then relax, have a beer, and hope to God the Bills were right in their selections.

Pride
04-29-2006, 04:07 PM
its funny... half of these homers around here have been pointing to the draft as a way to redeem our offseason... now that we are here, and we are laying a big fat egg, you guys are still not willing to see how crappy we're doing!

Kerr
04-29-2006, 04:07 PM
That's what i'm saying, muestafa.

ICE74129
04-29-2006, 04:09 PM
its funny... half of these homers around here have been pointing to the draft as a way to redeem our offseason... now that we are here, and we are laying a big fat egg, you guys are still not willing to see how crappy we're doing!

Yeah I love how they suck ass to the bills so hard we could have taken a fuggin punter in round one and they would make excuses for it being a good pick

muestafa1
04-29-2006, 04:22 PM

Review my past posts... I wouldn't say i'm a homer.
To be honest, I was dissapointed with our first pick. It wasn't a big flashy name. The thing that I have to recognize is that i'm not a professional evaluator of talent, in fact I don't watch that much college football. The Bills and other NFL teams employ personel whose sole job is to scout and prepare for this draft. How the hell can I say to them "Umm I'm a Network Administrator who works 8-5 Monday-Friday, and I think that I know more about football and putting together a cohesive team than you do. So don't make the picks you're planning on taking because I may have seen some other players a few times while watching TV and the players have bigger names, so you should draft them instead".

That's not to say that fans shouldn't have opinons about what their team is doing, but it's foolish to try and knock a team when you don't know how the players they picked will pan out.

This is a great place to post opinions and such, but lets face it - Sports fans always think they know whats best for their team and always know how to fix things when they go wrong... We always know what the team should've done, and should do...

The Natrix
04-29-2006, 04:26 PM
we could have taken a fuggin punter in round one and they would make excuses for it being a good pick

Umm no, we wouldn't.

Pride
04-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Again, my issue isnt with the players we have picked... I am happy with the guys we got.. HOWEVER... we took them at the wrong slots! If you are gonna take them, trade down and get more picks! You dont take a 2nd round SS with your number 8 with 2 teams dying to get into your spot!!

muestafa1
04-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Again, my issue isnt with the players we have picked... I am happy with the guys we got.. HOWEVER... we took them at the wrong slots! If you are gonna take them, trade down and get more picks! You dont take a 2nd round SS with your number 8 with 2 teams dying to get into your spot!!

I would've like to have moved down and gotten more picks as well. Also, I would've liked to have taken McCargo in the 2nd round. I guess they felt strongly enough about the two players that they weren't willing to risk another team selecting them. I can't really fault them for that.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-29-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't think there is anything I hate more than some jerkoff saying the sky is falling....

muestafa1
04-29-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't think there is anything I hate more than some jerkoff saying the sky is falling....

Sorry, should've titled the post different ??? Not sure that makes me a jerkoff?

FlyingDutchman
04-29-2006, 05:02 PM
The sky has been falling for the past ten years. Bills fans are fed up and tired. Im sick of peolple going to "the sky is falling" line everytime Bills fans get upset. They have a right to be. Until we can at least make the playoffs.

Slim
04-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Sorry, should've titled the post different ??? Not sure that makes me a jerkoff?

jerkoff

muestafa1
04-29-2006, 05:10 PM
The sky has been falling for the past ten years. Bills fans are fed up and tired. Im sick of peolple going to "the sky is falling" line everytime Bills fans get upset. They have a right to be. Until we can at least make the playoffs.

I agree the fans have a right to be upset about not making the playoffs. I'm upset that we haven't made the playoffs. That has nothing to do with those who come to the forums and are prematurely whining about what the Bills have done in the draft. In reality NOBODY knows how any of this will pan out until the season progresses...

OpIv37
04-29-2006, 05:13 PM

:bf1:

This has gotten ridiculous.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah I love how they suck ass to the bills so hard we could have taken a fuggin punter in round one and they would make excuses for it being a good pick

How upset will you be if the Bills come out of this draft with Whitner, McCargo and Winston/Scott/Colledge/Whitworth/Spencer? Forget what round or pick they were taken with--just make your judgement on the players and how they fit the team's needs.

Gunzlingr
04-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Funny how some of these doom and gloomers would have been happy had we reached for a player they liked, but when they pick somebody else then it is the worst draft ever. Too many ****ing idiots both homers and the crybabies. Bunch of armchair experts :shakeno:

OpIv37
04-29-2006, 05:24 PM
How upset will you be if the Bills come out of this draft with Whitner, McCargo and Winston/Scott/Colledge/Whitworth/Spencer? Forget what round or pick they were taken with--just make your judgement on the players and how they fit the team's needs.

wtf? When I *****ed about how this team did nothing the line in FA everyone said "well we'd have to overpay for OL help- it's not worth it".

But now we're overpaying for draft picks (because they're reaches they're being paid more than they're worth) and no one cares. This makes no ****ing sense.

The truth is some people just can't accept it when their team makes bad decisions.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2006, 05:48 PM
wtf? When I *****ed about how this team did nothing the line in FA everyone said "well we'd have to overpay for OL help- it's not worth it".

But now we're overpaying for draft picks (because they're reaches they're being paid more than they're worth) and no one cares. This makes no ****ing sense.

The truth is some people just can't accept it when their team makes bad decisions.

If the Bills get guys who turn out to be good players to fill their needs in this draft, I don't particularly care where they were drafted or how much they have to pay for them. I would rather they do that instead of taking higher-rated guys who may not fit their system or that they are concerned may not play up to their capabilities.

We won't know just how good or bad these guys will be until we see them play. So, we won't know just how much of a reach these guys were until we do. And, if we did reach with our first two picks we may end up getting an offensive lineman that eveyone thought would be a good pick in the late first or early second round with our third round pick.

All I'm saying is that IMHO it is too early to judge the picks in this draft after two picks. I have some concerns about the moves the team has made so far, but I'm not going to start hysterically screaming about them--because just like Marv and Co. could be wrong about what they have done, I recognize and accept that I could just as easily be wrong as well. So, at least I am going to take a little time and see how things work out during the rest of the draft and perhaps wait to see how these players play a little before I start criticizing the moves that the Bills have made thus far in this draft.

OpIv37
04-29-2006, 05:52 PM
If the Bills get guys who turn out to be good players to fill their needs in this draft, I don't particularly care where they were drafted or how much they have to pay for them. I would rather they do that instead of taking higher-rated guys who may not fit their system or that they are concerned may not play up to their capabilities.

We won't know just how good or bad these guys will be until we see them play. So, we won't know just how much of a reach these guys were until we do. And, if we did reach with our first two picks we may end up getting an offensive lineman that eveyone thought would be a good pick in the late first or early second round with our third round pick.

All I'm saying is that IMHO it is too early to judge the picks in this draft after two picks. I have some concerns about the moves the team has made so far, but I'm not going to start hysterically screaming about them--because just like Marv and Co. could be wrong about what they have done, I recognize and accept that I could just as easily be wrong as well. So, at least I am going to take a little time and see how things work out during the rest of the draft and perhaps wait to see how these players play a little before I start criticizing the moves that the Bills have made thus far in this draft.

Um, I'm not basing my criticism solely on personal opinion. No other team or draft expert had these guys rated so highly. I just have a hard time believing that Marv knows better than EVERYONE else in pro football or the sports media.

See my thread about marv either being a genius or a moron. So far, he has made 5 HUGE reaches- the 2 draft picks, Price, Reed and Denney. One or two reaches and I might be able to say "ok, he's a pro- I'm not- I'll give him the benefit of the doubt". But FIVE? It's absurd.

Saratoga Slim
04-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Um, I'm not basing my criticism solely on personal opinion. No other team or draft expert had these guys rated so highly. I just have a hard time believing that Marv knows better than EVERYONE else in pro football or the sports media.

how do you know where other teams had Whitner and McCargo rated? Who says Detroit wouldn't have taken Whitner at #9?

The media may rank players based on general criteria, but their rankings don't necessarily translate to each individual team's estimation of which players have the highest value for that team's particular system and circumstances.

that said, if these guys step in and perform in the new system, this is a successful draft. until then, its real hard to say.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2006, 06:14 PM
how do you know where other teams had Whitner and McCargo rated? Who says Detroit wouldn't have taken Whitner at #9?

The media may rank players based on general criteria, but their rankings don't necessarily translate to each individual team's estimation of which players have the highest value for that team's particular system and circumstances.

that said, if these guys step in and perform in the new system, this is a successful draft. until then, its real hard to say.

That's pretty much what I have been saying.

With McCargo, I know that his name has come up in the NY area press as a guy that the Giants were very interested in after they signed Arrington. The guy that they were supposedly most interested in was Carpenter, but the Pats jumped up ahead of them to take him, so it is very possible that they made the deal with Pittsburgh to take McCargo with that pick not figuring that the Bills would jump ahead of them and take McCargo first. I can't say that for certain, but no one else knows for certain that that was not the case, either.

Dozerdog
04-29-2006, 06:28 PM
We filled 2 positions of need.

If we drafted the same two positions - Huff and Bunkley- everyone would be creaming their pants.

We didn't draft a punter- we drafted Milloy's and Adams' replacements.

Did you want us to draft an OT that the entire league has passed over twice so far?

OpIv37
04-29-2006, 06:38 PM
We filled 2 positions of need.

If we drafted the same two positions - Huff and Bunkley- everyone would be creaming their pants.

We didn't draft a punter- we drafted Milloy's and Adams' replacements.

Did you want us to draft an OT that the entire league has passed over twice so far?

how about trading down and drafting players appropriate for your position in the draft?

IF these guys pan out, then yes, we filled two positions of need and that's definitely a good thing. In the meantime, we have to overpay them and deal with Marv's smug assumption that he's smarter than the rest of the pro football world because no one else thought these guys should be that high.

Tasker
04-29-2006, 06:41 PM
What alot of people here dont understand is the concept of value.

A Honda Acord is a great car, but if you pay 100K for it your a moron, even if it lasts for 18 years and 300,000 miles.
You're still a moron for overpaying.

The point being we have passed the players with value. And that value can be dealt out a number of ways.

Right behind us Denver traded up and gave op a pick to get a QB,
We could have got the EXACT SAME PLAYERS and that pick.
Its not about how the players do, its about wasting DRAFT ORDER VALUE.

Anyone mentioning that maybe theyll be good, then well know if it was smart has missed the entire concept of draft order and the value of that.

The EXACT same players could have been acquired with a much lower price per player in draft value.

The Eagles had the DRAFT WE SHOULD HAVER HAD, and they picked 7 spots behind us.

They got more for less. That is smart no matter what the future holds.
Bunkley and Justice, and we got bunk.

We just bought the $100,000 honda, and thats stupid business sense when we could have had the same for much much less.

This is the most anticipated draft in years for me 11 picks and a #8 pick with nobody in front of us that will change our decision, and we have laid one of the biggest eggs in a decade.

Drive 4 Five
04-29-2006, 06:42 PM
Good posts muestafa1...

Tasker
04-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Even if this stiff turns out to be Jesus in nike's, we still could have got him at 16-20, so it doesnt matter, the pot has been ****.