PDA

View Full Version : Ty Warren - DT, thumbs up or down?

Tatonka
02-09-2003, 02:30 PM
the only game i saw him play was against Virginia Tech. do not know alot about him, but he is one of the guys that may be there when we pick in the second. he was supposed to be much better than he ended up being, and unfortunately, i keep reading terms like underachieving and inconsistent next to his name. seems to have the perfect size and speed, but just didnt always get the job done. i would pass, unless someone could convince me otherwise.

Ty Warren-Texas A&M

(6-4, 308, estimated 5.03 40 time)

2002 Season Stats: 10 games, 52 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 4.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble

2001 Season Stats: 10 games, 41 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 1 pass broken up

Positives: Very good size and athletic ability. Is versatile, can play anywhere along the defensive line. Is a player who plays at his best in his team’s biggest games.

Negatives: Occasionally will have difficulty locating the ball. Has a reputation for being sloppy and taking plays off. Is the type of player that always seems to be battling nagging injuries.

Overall analysis: A three-year starter at Texas A&M, Warren almost entered the 2001 NFL draft as an underclassman. Unfortunately for Warren, injuries kept him from having a truly great senior season, but that is nothing new for this player. He looked like an all-world player at the beginning of 2002, but an ankle injury really slowed him down for most of the year. From a physical standpoint Warren has all of the tools to be a very good NFL defensive lineman. He has size, strength and very good quickness for a player of his size. He played nose guard as a junior, but as a senior he played end in Texas A&M’s 3-4 defense. Warren has the size and skills that he could probably play any spot along the defensive line in either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. On the negative, Warren has the reputation for playing with his pad level too high and taking too many plays off. And even though he hasn’t had any serious injuries, he does have a long history of nagging injuries. As a junior he was slowed by a heel injury and as a senior he was slowed by an ankle injury. Right now Warren is grading out in the round two area, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see this player’s stock drop the closer it gets to draft day.