PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Read this?

Devin
04-29-2006, 05:12 PM
McCargo: I feel a lot better that McCargo's foot is 100 percent. He had a stress fracture that forced him to miss five or six games last year. He said he's in shape. He's so excited about being drafted he was pretty speechless on the conference call. As I said the Bills had to get this guy. Aside from problem child Claude Wroten from LSU this was the last day one quality DT on the board in my opinion. If he was gone when the Bills picked 42nd they would have been screwed.
This guy will be on the field right away even though he's still on the come. He's talented, but he's also young. I think he's a year or two away from being the best player he can be. I know that doesn't help the Bills the most right now, which is why I preferred Ngata, but he will be on the field early.
McCargo also is not a true nose tackle. He's more of a three technique, though he has experience at the two and the one. But he'll have to play some nose here. They don't have many other options for nose with Tim Anderson, Jason Jefferson and LaWaylon Brown.
I worry about Larry Tripplett wearing down as the season wears on. He can't play 60 plays a game and I fully expect Dick Jauron and Perry Fewell to have a heavy rotation going. But without a true nose pulling attention away from Tripplett he's going to be getting a lot of attention all year long as the most talented interior lineman.

Via ESPN.com

http://insider.espn.go.com/NFL/insider/col..._len&id=2382383 (http://insider.espn.go.com/NFL/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2382383)

He isn't the most heralded defensive line prospect at North Carolina State, but tackle John McCargo, often overshadowed by the Wolfpack's heralded end tandem of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, isn't quite an unknown, either, to NFL scouts.

McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month. Williams, of course, is a sure bet, an edge player and upfield rusher regarded by many scouts as the premier defensive player in the draft. Lawson is also a pass-rush threat, an outside defender with great explosiveness and closing speed who might best project to linebacker in a 3-4 front.

John McCargo was an early-entry after playing three seasons at NC State.But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Oregon</st1:State> and <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Florida</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">State</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>'s Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.

"My game has always been about quickness," McCargo said shortly after a pro day workout in which he clocked a 4.94 in the 40. "I really didn't start playing football until the ninth grade and didn't get serious about it until around my junior year [in high school]. But I was a good baseball player and a pretty good basketball player, and some of the traits from those sports, like hand-eye coordination, things like that, kind of carried over onto the football field and helped me a lot."

Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent.

At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as <st1:State w:st="on">Michigan</st1:State>'s Gabe Watson, <st1:City w:st="on">Miami</st1:City>'s Orien Harris and <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Texas</st1:place></st1:State>' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

"He's a little different than most of the other [tackles]," one general manager said. "Different in a good sort of way because, if you want the upfield guy and not just the run stuffer, there aren't many tackles like him in this year's draft."

An Academic All-American, and an avid but late-blooming student of the game who is now trying to make up for lost time, McCargo understands that Williams and Lawson, flashier players who merit attention by putting the quarterback on the ground, are going to garner most of the headlines. But he understands, too, that there is a place in the NFL for a guy like himself, a hard-working tackle who has made himself into a player and who will soon reap the rewards.

"It never bothered me that people talked so much about Mario and Manny because, I mean, those guys are incredible players," McCargo said. "Playing out on the edge, making big plays in space, you're naturally going to be drawn to those guys. But I was doing some good things, too, inside, and I think the scouts who have done their homework understand that."

:bf1:

Kerr
04-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I like the pick.

Slim
04-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Good read.

Pride
04-29-2006, 05:17 PM
Again, I like the pick, but I question why we didnt trade down to take him!

SquishDaFish
04-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Awesome find Devin AWESOME. Lets get spencer or whitworth and ill be happier today about the draft then I was earlier LOL. The more I hear about Whitner and McCargo the more I like.

Jersey1031
04-29-2006, 05:23 PM
I like the pick, who wrote up the first article...

jmb1099
04-29-2006, 05:23 PM
This is very encouraging.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2006, 05:24 PM
It could be because the NY Giants were supposedly targeting a DT early in their draft after signing Arrington. That may be why they traded out of their spot after Carpenter was taken, thinking that they could grab McCargo at the end of Round 1 with Pittsburgh's pick.

J TES
04-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Its not about the players being picked, its where the players are being picked. Whitner is an excellent safety prospect but #8 was too early to take him. If the trade with Philly is/was true, you could have traded down, got an extra pick, and still got Whitner. Mccargo is an alright prospect but trading back inot the first to take him was just plain dumb. He would have been there at 42, and if he wasnt then take Winston,or Gabe Watson etc. This team has way to many holes to be trading away picks, and then draft players higher than necessary. Disagree with me all you want, but this has been a horrible day for Marv and the Bills.

SquishDaFish
04-29-2006, 05:35 PM
Yea J Tes go yell at those other teams why they didnt trade with the Bills. Dammit Denver you should of traded and made J Tes happy why didnt you give the bills what they wanted WHY!!!

BillsFever21
04-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Yea J Tes go yell at those other teams why they didnt trade with the Bills. Dammit Denver you should of traded and made J Tes happy why didnt you give the bills what they wanted WHY!!!

Anything would've been fine when we would still get our player. Levy even said he didn't trade because he thought he would've been gone. None of them other teams up to Denver's pick had intentions of drafting a safety. Marv missed the boat on this.

Had we did that trade and got that extra second then moving up for McCargo would've been fine. We still would've had another 2nd round pick to take an OL.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Anything would've been fine when we would still get our player. Levy even said he didn't trade because he thought he would've been gone. None of them other teams up to Denver's pick had intentions of drafting a safety. Marv missed the boat on this.

Had we did that trade and got that extra second then moving up for McCargo would've been fine. We still would've had another 2nd round pick to take an OL.

Detroit was projected to take Huff in a LOT of mock drafts. If Whitner had not been taken at # 8, they very well may have taken Whitner instead of the LB Sims--LB being somewhat less of a need for them than safety. Also, Miami was reported to have been very interested in taking Whitner and may have traded up to get him if the Bills were only one pick ahead of them with Denver's pick. They ended up taking Allen, who is similar to Whitner but more of a question-mark as a safety. Also, there was some mention that Cleveland might have been interested in him earlier today--I don't know how accurate that was. But, it would have been a risk for the Bills to move down to Philly's # 14 pick or Denver's # 15 if they really were intent on getting Whitner.

The issue with McCargo was that the NY Giants were reported to be interested in him in the NYC area media. They really wanted Carpenter, but when the Pats took him, they very well may have been poised to take McCargo before the Bills jumped up ahead of them. Interestingly, they have a huge hole at DT with K.Clancy leaving that they have not addressed to this point, despite trading down out of the first round for more picks.