PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Garay - DE, Thumbs up or down?

Tatonka
02-09-2003, 02:36 PM
i am not sure about this guy. tons of talent. all the sites that i read about him say that if it wasnt for injuries, he would be a surefire first rounder. can play DE or DT. i like that versatility. has produced when on the field, but hurt his knee as a sophmore, neck as a junior, and broke his ankle this past year. all three were season ending injuries. that is the reason he is considered a late day one pick instead of a early one.

i think this guy, if still around in the 3rd, could offer some interesting potential. none of the injuries are to the same spot (good thing) but is it dumb luck or is he just a wimp? well someone will gamble on him, and may reap huge rewards or waste a pick.

i would like to hear more about this guy from those of you who know more. thanks.

Antonio Garay-Boston College

(6-4, 290, estimated 4.83 40 time)

2002 Season Stats: 6 games, 34 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, 2 passes broken up

2001 Season Stats: 8 games, 57 tackles, 9 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, 1 interception, 1 pass broken up, 1 fumble recovery

Positives: Has very good defensive end size. Will play low and can hold the point of attack. Has exceptional athletic ability for a player of his size. Probably can play both inside and outside at the next level.

Negatives: Lacks great pass-rush upside as a defensive end. Has an extensive list of past injuries.

Overall analysis: Garay is a solid defensive end prospect who could probably play in the interior of the defensive line as well. Garay is a big man who was also an All-American in wrestling for Boston College. Considering the wrestling background, it should be apparent that this is a man who understands the concepts behind leverage. But Garay simply isn’t a big man who can take up space; he is also an accomplished football player who has shown the knack for having his best games against his team’s biggest opponents. Garay has great size and exceptional athletic ability for his size. He routinely displays explosive ability, and is always productive when on the football field. However, there is no question that Garay’s medical background has to be of some concern. In the opening game of the 2000 season, Garay suffered a serious knee injury (ACL) and missed the rest of the year. Garay played in 8 games in 2001, but a neck injury that required surgery ended his junior year. As a senior Garay broke his ankle in game number six, bringing his season to an end. There is no question that if this player was more durable he would be a very high pick in the 2003 NFL draft, probably a first rounder. But all of the injuries are almost certain to cost Garay on draft day. Garay carries an early day two grade, and could be a later round gem if he stays healthy once reaching the NFL.

BambinoSux
02-09-2003, 05:43 PM
You pretty much summed it up there. He was a force when he was in there but he was hardly in there it seemed. Always thought he'd make a good pro if it wasn't for the injuries. I still hope to see him succeed, especially in Buffalo, but the injuries make him a big risk factor. I think I heard he was lucky to even be drafted so it might be worth using a 6th or 7th on him. He was also a hell of a wrestler. He was an All-American. Maybe he can go to the WWF if his football career doesn't pan out like The Rock did.

Tatonka
02-09-2003, 05:48 PM
well.. from everything i read, he will definately be a midround pick. there is no way he lasts until the 6-7th round. someone will take a chance.. i wouldnt be mad if buffalo used a 4th or 5th on him.

Jeff 311
02-09-2003, 07:57 PM
I like Anthony Adams in the middle from penn state im sure we can grab him w/ a 4th rd pick.

Tatonka
02-09-2003, 08:02 PM
dont know anything about him..

TigerJ
02-09-2003, 08:14 PM
Adams is a productive DT who is probably a little under 6' tall. He's Jimmy Kennedy's Penn State teammate. I think Garay will go in the mid rounds where the injury risk vs. his obvious talent balances out better than it does on the first day of the draft.