PDA

View Full Version : The Official "This Draft is Fine" Thread

Saratoga Slim
04-29-2006, 07:32 PM
I have the following observations, and think that these elements are driving OBD's draft plan:

1. We are drafting for need, not purely BPA. It's obvious OBD is trying to fill our weakest positions (DT, S, LT?), maybe to win sooner. We are leaving guys with great talent at other positions on the board to fill our needs.

2. Character is playing a HUGE role in our selections (and other teams' as well. justice and Jimmy Williams free-fell, and Wroten is still on the board). I'm okay with that. I'm getting really tired of guys like Nate and Willis. I want guys without egos, who want to work hard for the TEAM, and love the game. I think that's going to be the common thread in this draft, as Marv alluded it would be. If we sacrifice a little on the talent side but make it up in attitude, (i.e. McCargo instead of Wroten), fine by me.

3. The Bills have a short list of guys they want at the need positions, and are doing what they need to do to make sure those few don't get away.

a. DT was a huge priority for OBD, but at #8, the Bills didn't see a guy they liked. Perhaps Ngata didnt fit the system, and perhaps Bunkley's character issues scared them off. For whatever reason, OBD didn't view either of those prospects worthy of the #8 pick.

However, they rightfully understood that we needed a top DT talent, and decided that based upon their evaluations, which included character/drive, there was a huge drop off after McCargo (note that no one has taken Wroten or Wright yet). Thus, Marv moved back up into #26 to make sure that the Bills got out of this draft with a DT prospect that they felt comfortable with.

Note that Pitt traded their #32 pick, who knows, maybe they were eyeing McCargo too. Parhaps 26 was a little high for McCargo, but perhaps he would have been gone at #42. I'm not happy about losing the #73 pick, but I'll say it was worthwhile to make sure we got a DT that OBD thinks will get the job done within their system.

b. There was no LT that theyfelt worth the #8. Look where Justice ended up going.

c. With no DT or LT that they liked at #8, Marv focused on Safety. They obviously really liked Whitner, and had him rated very highly, probably close to where he was picked.

Perhaps Denver or Philly did offer a trade. But Marv didn't want to trade down to 14/15 and be stuck with no DT, S, or LT prospect available that they felt was worth the 15th pick. Thus, whatever Philly and Denver was offering wasnt enough to justify that risk. Why accept a, say, 3rd round pick if it screws you out of getting the first-round talent you want at a need position.

There's at least an even chance that Marv was right. Detroit or St. Louis may very well have grabbed Whitner, and Bunkley/Ngata may also have been gone (as indeed they were). So Marv played it safe, and took Whitner a mere 5 slots higher than Mel Kiper had him ranked. A reach, maybe, but a calculated reach.

4. The draft ain't over yet.

I was not a happy camper earlier today, but am starting to warm up to our picks, and at the very least, think I understand the logic behind them. I'm not going to be an apologist for the front office, but I think this might actually be a pretty well-thought out draft. They do have a plan, and they are sticking too it. Let's see how it plays out.

OpIv37
04-29-2006, 07:34 PM
you people are ****ing impossible.

When I was *****ing about marv a few months ago, it was "give him a chance, there's always the draft"

well now he ****ed up the draft and everyone's like "things will be fine"

take off the red-and-blue tinted glasses please.

OpIv37
04-29-2006, 07:37 PM
and if we're drafting for need, where's the OL help?

Saratoga Slim
04-29-2006, 07:40 PM
and if we're drafting for need, where's the OL help?
it went to Houston with the first two picks of the 2nd round. dammit, I really wanted to see Charles Spencer here.

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-29-2006, 07:41 PM
well I guess I am wearing those same glasses because I feel pretty good, not great, about our picks today especially because three players I think we could use (Max Jean Gilles, Gabe Watson, and Rod Wright) have yet to be taken. Whether or not they are there in round four for us is to be seen, but the more I read about Whitner the more I like him, as long as McCargo stays healthy he sounds like a decent player with great quickness which is big for DT's in our system, and Youboty was a steal in the third as far as I am concerned. We needed another corner with or without Nate.

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-29-2006, 07:42 PM
I don't know how many times our nickel or dime corners got burned last year so I feel we did need another CB, maybe not as much as line help, but most of the quality line help is gone so I like th Youboty pick.

hydro
04-29-2006, 07:43 PM
it went to Houston with the first two picks of the 2nd round. dammit, I really wanted to see Charles Spencer here.

You mean 3rd round ;)

OpIv37
04-29-2006, 07:44 PM
I wouldn't cry over losing Nate but I doubt a 3rd rounder will be able to step in for him right away.

McGee got toasted his first year at corner.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2006, 07:54 PM
I didn't have CB rated as that high of a need, either, but this puts a lot of pressure on Clements and provides the Bills with a replacement for him if the Bills decide that he is too expensive to keep or he gives them any problems with signing his tender. (He may yet be traded for a player or a pick in next year's draft--although I would rather see Youboty get a year of seasoning at the nickle spot). What Youboty adds, that the Bills did not have outside of Clements and Vincent (who also is likely to be gone next year) is he adds a little more size--McGee is small, so is Greer and King is even smaller, without Clements and Vincent, the Bills had no one who can cover a big WR.

I, too, am a little concerned that they have not addressed the offensive line yet, but the guys that I most wanted went very quickly at the end of the second round and with Houston's pick. There are still a couple of surprising and interesting possibilities remaining on the board, but I'm not saying anything about who I might want the Bills to take until it happens. I think McQuistan and, perhaps, Winston were the last two two guys that they would have gone for over Youboty with their third round pick if they were still there.

ParanoidAndroid
04-29-2006, 07:54 PM
you people are ****ing impossible.

When I was *****ing about marv a few months ago, it was "give him a chance, there's always the draft"

well now he ****ed up the draft and everyone's like "things will be fine"

take off the red-and-blue tinted glasses please.

Op....I like you and everything but please let me know in a PM when you're done complaining so I can take you off ignore. ;)

cablesabres68
04-29-2006, 07:56 PM
we don't need help for the OL we have a good line in
Peters-Reyes-Fowler-Vilarial-Gibson which is the way i think it will play out. we have good depth in preston jerman mcfarland etc we could use more depth. i know when we had kelly with levy it seemed like we were about offense but it was all about defense first. that is what i think he is trying to imply now we went from 2nd to 29th in one year because of key losses such as pat williams, TKO to injury, Jennings, etc... but u guys aren't letting the bills front office do there job. day 2 is were superbowls are won anyways and we have 6 picks i think on day 2 so lets just say the 2 most hated words in bills history TOM BRADY 199 selection joe montana, and the bills best reciever in history Andre Reed from kutztown, PA so just shut up and let them do there job

Philagape
04-29-2006, 07:58 PM
As was said elsewhere, the ONLY way this draft is a success is if Whitner is the next Ed Reed.
And McCargo MUST be a stud impact player.

Anything short of that, and this draft sucks.

OpIv37
04-29-2006, 07:59 PM
we don't need help for the OL we have a good line in
Peters-Reyes-Fowler-Vilarial-Gibson which is the way i think it will play out. we have good depth in preston jerman mcfarland etc we could use more depth. i know when we had kelly with levy it seemed like we were about offense but it was all about defense first. that is what i think he is trying to imply now we went from 2nd to 29th in one year because of key losses such as pat williams, TKO to injury, Jennings, etc... but u guys aren't letting the bills front office do there job. day 2 is were superbowls are won anyways and we have 6 picks i think on day 2 so lets just say the 2 most hated words in bills history TOM BRADY 199 selection joe montana, and the bills best reciever in history Andre Reed from kutztown, PA so just shut up and let them do there job

Peters isn't ready for LT and Gibson may not even make the team. Right now it's

Gandy-Reyes-Fowler- Villarial-Peters.

Gandy is mediocre and Villiarial sucks. Reyes or Fowler go down to injury and we're actually WORSE than last year (or at least equally bad.

We've endured 10 years of losing. I'm not willing to shut up and let anyone do their job anymore. Marv has made too many questionable moves. You can accept mediocrity- I wont.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2006, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't cry over losing Nate but I doubt a 3rd rounder will be able to step in for him right away.

McGee got toasted his first year at corner.

Most corners take a year to make the transition from college to the NFL, so it would be unreasonable to expect Youboty (or almost any of the DBs in this draft) to step in and be a consistently good starter as a rookie this year. With all of the CBs who went early in the draft last year, only a handful played even reasonably well. Miller and Webster, who went to the Jets and Giants and Routt, who went to Oakland, were awful when they were asked to start, but the first two did start to come on at the end of the season and are likely to be starters this season.

cablesabres68
04-29-2006, 08:05 PM
what r u gonna do keep whining until they fire marv like everyone ran out donahue yes best move to get rid of him but ur not gonna change levy and staffs mind because u say so i think the got the players they wanted and filled the holes they thought they needed to fill so shutup cuz u don't have any right to be a bills fan if ur gonna ***** at every move they make and threaten not to be a bills fan oooh the bills don't need u to be a bills fan then

John Doe
04-29-2006, 08:12 PM
We filled the three most glaring needs on defense with quickness, speed, and toughness.

I can't complain about that.

Kenny
04-29-2006, 08:34 PM
As was said elsewhere, the ONLY way this draft is a success is if Whitner is the next Ed Reed.
And McCargo MUST be a stud impact player.

Anything short of that, and this draft sucks.

While I dont necessarily agree that McCargo MUST be a stud player, he better be better than Bunkley & Ngata... In fact, he better be the BEST GOD DAMNED DT in the draft. Anything short of this and Marv & Co. have royally *****ed up.

I agree 100% with the Whitner comment. This was such a huge reach, that they better know something that everyone else doesnt.

So we didnt pick the best player available @8, -but then we're supposed to pick the biggest need right? (or at least trade down... yeah, yeah, yeah, -we need to find a 'dance' partner... But hell, another 2nd day pick is better than nothing!)

So Safety is a bigger need than DT? riiiiiiiiiigggggght :hitself:

Marvelous
04-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Good post Saratoga.. The same crybaby fans would be upset if we drafted o-line and not safety & NT...

/gives the baby his binky. ahh, much better...

ShadowHawk7
04-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Eric Winston going at 68 pissed me off, but Youboty was a solid pick. Add Giles and another DT (How about that Orien guy from Miami) and I'll be happy.

The one question remains: Who will be better in the NFL Huff or Whitner?

Fox
04-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Detroit wanted whitner !!!!!!!!
(that's the pick after us, kids.)
ok ? now it's out. all the scouts knew how good he was, just not all the kipers and other idiots that never played.

and several teams were interested in mccargo. he would have gone in the first round.

just becuase the idiot draftnicks don't put a player in the silly mock drafts, you think that's gonna amount to anything in reality ?

Kerr
04-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Detroit wanted whitner !!!!!!!!
(that's the pick after us, kids.)
ok ? now it's out. all the scouts knew how good he was, just not all the kipers and other idiots that never played.

and several teams were interested in mccargo. he would have gone in the first round.

just becuase the idiot draftnicks don't put a player in the silly mock drafts, you think that's gonna amount to anything in reality ?

That's interesting. Where did you hear Detroit wanted Whitner and other teams wanted McCargo? All I heard was that the giants were interested in McCargo, but settled for Mathias.

FlyingDutchman
04-29-2006, 09:19 PM
what r u gonna do keep whining until they fire marv like everyone ran out donahue yes best move to get rid of him but ur not gonna change levy and staffs mind because u say so i think the got the players they wanted and filled the holes they thought they needed to fill so shutup cuz u don't have any right to be a bills fan if ur gonna ***** at every move they make and threaten not to be a bills fan oooh the bills don't need u to be a bills fan then

i know ill ***** when we have 2 picks in the top 26 and come out with the second best safety and the 3rd best defensive tackle (in which we traded to get like a bunch of idiots). I really dont get you people who think we did alright today. The Yobouty pick up is about the only thing keeping my dog from having broken ribs...

acehole
04-29-2006, 09:36 PM
I agree but Viterelli weak link

Tasker
04-29-2006, 10:03 PM
I think this is a remedial thread?

Does anyone at all have any concept of how a draft works, and how to get the most for your picks.

When there is a better pick taken after us in every round, and when teams with a lower slot than us all have better overall drafts, then you made a mistake.

People dont get the concept of the value of order here?

I dont think Ngata or Bunkley was worth an #8 either, so what would any 12 year old ******ed kid do?, Change your slot not the player.

If you take a guy higher than you need to, or earlier than anyone else would or plans to, then you wasted the value of your pick.

If you pay too much for something you could buy 20 minutes later for less, then you planned poorly and wasted one of the most valuable assets to any football team, a high choice in a draft.

How often is a safety taken in the top 10? sometimes maybe, but not the most highly sought position, so how many times is the "not even the best in college" safety taken top 10? Only by the bills.

If you can get him at 11 12 or 15 or even 18, then you just threw away your number 8 pick.

Marv doesnt seem t understand a poker philosophy, perhaps you have a 20-25% of losing a guy if you wait and trade down, but at least you know you will get extra draft picks and wont overpay "just to be sure".

If you buy a $20,000 car for $80,000 you are a moron and dont understand value,....Now if the car lasts for 300,000 miles? do you think that makes yo usmart again? nope, cause you still wasted a ****load of value when you didnat have too.

Then to compound the matter,....we draft a CB in round 3 and let Leonard Pope slip away. That guy was a solid 2nd rounder and listed at 6'8" 250 and a solid blocker, and we f#@@ it up again and let him slide to get a CORNER?

If they dont trade up in the late first round we could have got POPE and that O-STATE corner, another muffed attempt to be sure, which let another great prospect slip away.

Anyone thinking this is a good draft, is busy looking at what we got like a begger with a nickle.....happy they got something.

The fact that anyone with half an IQ point could have capitalized more on our great pick slots is very clear.

We had the option of taking....
The best DT in the country.......Choice of many
The highest rated QB in the country......for value to others.
All but one RB......
All But One offensive lineman........
All But One LB............

And the bills decide to go for the 2nd or 3rd best safety? Who was not going to be picked before 15 anyway? Or perhaps 20th.....

This is one of the bills all time lows, right along side that miami game last year, thurman forgetting his helmet, and signing bledsoe to a 9M deal.