• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Calling out the homers

A lot of you got on my case, along with several others, for *****ing up a storm when this team did not improve the OL in free agency... your main retort: "It will get addressed in the draft".

Well, day 1 is over and the Buffalo Bills did not draft 1 offensive lineman.

They did, however, sign a fat slob who got cut from his previous job becuase he sucked and was too lazy (Gibson). They signed a guy who's done nothing with his entire career (Reyes). They are hoping that an undrafted TE can be converted to OT (Peters). And the OL leadership will be provided by 2 aging fossils who couldn't block my 180lb ass on a bullrush (Gandy, Villarial). Not to worry, these guys will all be carried by the Buffalo Bills version of Clark Kent (Fowler)

Where are you guys? Sign in. Discuss. Give us something. Share your wisdom.

On the contrary... the New York ****ing Jets, a team with a worse line than ours, go out on Day 1 of the draft and improve their line more in 3 hours than the Bills have in 5 seasons.

JFREEMAN'S OFFENSIVE LINE INEPTITUDE COUNTER:
    6 Years and counting...
  • hydro
    • Oct 2005

Re: Calling out the homers

I guess the players we have picked up for defense better be good at causing turnovers and taking them for touchdowns. Because our "playmakers" wont have time to with this line.
    BERNIAC!

Comment

• Bill Brasky
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by hydrosmak
      I guess the players we have picked up for defense better be good at causing turnovers and taking them for touchdowns. Because our "playmakers" wont have time to with this line.
      No, that will be up to one of the 8 WR's and 5 TE's on the depth chart.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
        Zero for Zero!
        • Mar 2003

Reyes was a good pick up.

What LT would have you drafted at 8? In the 3rd (Youboty was a GREAT pick in the 3rd.)

I wish they had drafted somebody to pressure Gandy, but as I have said this is NOT a one year rebuilding process.

The middle of the line is now decent (Reyes-Fowler-Villarrial/Preston) Peters played pretty damn well last season and somebody who knows a little more than either of us (McNally) thinks his potential is great.
        Originally posted by mysticsoto
        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
          A lot of you got on my case, along with several others, for *****ing up a storm when this team did not improve the OL in free agency... your main retort: "It will get addressed in the draft".

Well, day 1 is over and the Buffalo Bills did not draft 1 offensive lineman.

They did, however, sign a fat slob who got cut from his previous job becuase he sucked and was too lazy (Gibson). They signed a guy who's done nothing with his entire career (Reyes). They are hoping that an undrafted TE can be converted to OT (Peters). And the OL leadership will be provided by 2 aging fossils who couldn't block my 180lb ass on a bullrush (Gandy, Villarial). Not to worry, these guys will all be carried by the Buffalo Bills version of Clark Kent (Fowler)

Where are you guys? Sign in. Discuss. Give us something. Share your wisdom.

On the contrary... the New York ****ing Jets, a team with a worse line than ours, go out on Day 1 of the draft and improve their line more in 3 hours than the Bills have in 5 seasons.

JFREEMAN'S OFFENSIVE LINE INEPTITUDE COUNTER:
          6 Years and counting...
          dude I was just thinking the same exact thing.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BillsFever21
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter

What LT would have you drafted at 8? In the 3rd (Youboty was a GREAT pick in the 3rd.)

I wish they had drafted somebody to pressure Gandy, but as I have said this is NOT a one year rebuilding process.

The middle of the line is now decent (Reyes-Fowler-Villarrial/Preston) Peters played pretty damn well last season and somebody who knows a little more than either of us (McNally) thinks his potential is great.
            The middle of our line is decent?

A team who prides themselves on their OL like Carolina didn't want Reyes. He has never made a big impact. Fowler was a 3rd round pick who wasn't wanted by his original team and was traded by Cleveland to Minnesota. And then he was with the Vikings and only played when there was an injury and then they didn't want him. Villarrial is old as dirt and can't stay healthy and Preston has some potential but isn't anything special at the moment.

This is our "decent" middle of the line? God help us.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
              • Feb 2005

You take the best player on your board. You don't "reach" for a lineman just because its a need.
              Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                All-Pro Zoner
                • Aug 2004

And, there are still a few very interesting offensive linemen remaining on the board--including a couple projected to go much higher--who could get picked in the 4th round.

The rebuilding of this team is going to be a process that is going to take two years. I think that anyone who expects this team to get turned around any sooner than that is either wearing rose-colored glasses or expecting the impossible (it would pretty much take a miracle for this team to go 8-8 this season). And, as I see it, this draft, which isn't even over yet, is still a very early on in that process. I want the Bills to finally be a winning team again and I know that a lot of Bills fans even more frustrated than I am by their recent failures, but I can't blame M.Levy and Co. for the failures of T.Donahoe and Co., so I am prepared to give him time to show me--on the field, which is the only place that counts--whether this process is going to be successful or not.
                Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter

Youboty was the only draft pick today that made sense for where he was taken.

I'm not hating on Whitner or McCargo because they fill obvious needs, but honestly, the OL needs to be addressed RIGHT ****ING NOW and should be the #1 priority on this team. It's been 6 damn years now guys.

We have to live through another season with a patchwork OL comprised of other teams' outcasts protecting 3 unproven and unstable QB's and I'm growing really damn tired of it. Common logic dictates if you have a playmaker at QB you might be able to slide by with a less than stellar line... if you have a stellar line and less than avg QB you might be able to get by... but having piss poor talent at both positions is just asking for absolute disaster!

I was livid during the offseason because of the lack of true talent this organization tried to put on the OL, but I was willing to give the FO the benefit of the doubt and hold out hope that they maybe address at least the OT spot on day 1. I wasn't hoping for an entire draft of lineman, but least 1 guy who could maybe contribute a little this year and be a solid building block a year or two down the road.

What happens? We piss away 2 ****ing picks to move up 12 spots and take a guy that we could have gotten in the 2nd. We draft a Safety that we could have traded down for, gotten and extra pick out of, and used that extra pick to a lineman.

This team had other teams throwing picks at them to move up, yet we sit pat and overdraft a guy at #8.

Modrak is willing to move up 12 spots to take McCargo but he wouldn't move up 4 ****ing spots for a chance at Brick? Christ, what kind of logic is that? If they're going to give up draft picks at least try to get someone who has proven his dominance and will more than likely be a sure thing instead of a guy with character who has a 50/50 chance of making the roster, let alone starting.

Comment

• Marvelous
                    • Feb 2004

Need a tissue Freeman? I dunno why i even asked. Seems all your post are negative. The only thing different about them is the topic..

We needed a Safety...We needed a NT...We got amazing value with Youboty.
                    Fans like you are always unhappy..
                    GO BILLS!!! NE
                    Magical Trevor

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                      You take the best player on your board. You don't "reach" for a lineman just because its a need.
                      and Donte Whitner was the best guy on the board according to who? JUST MARV. No one else in any way connected to football thought he was #8.

of course, I still think it's a better pick for us than Young or Cutler. But marv has made some really questionable moves and there is no way they will all pan out.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Marv
                        Need a tissue Freeman? I dunno why i even asked. Seems all your post are negative. The only thing different about them is the topic..

We needed a Safety...We needed a NT...We got amazing value with Youboty.
                        Fans like you are always unhappy..
                        yeah 6 years of a bad OL and 8 years without playoffs and a 5-11 record should make us really happy.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

What happens? We piss away 2 ****ing picks to move up 12 spots and take a guy that we could have gotten in the 2nd. We draft a Safety that we could have traded down for, gotten and extra pick out of, and used that extra pick to a lineman.

Whitner might have been taken by the Lions. And McCargo had been moving and would have gone late 1st.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                            yeah 6 years of a bad OL and 8 years without playoffs and a 5-11 record should make us really happy.
                            Unfortanetly Marv inherited a team that needs massive rebuilding.

Nobody is happy, but some people want to give Marv a chance instead of *****ing before the damn season has even started.

What is Marv's record as GM?

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                              Dude wtf are you saying? You are saying that Whitner was the absolute best player remaning in the entire draft at #8... and that there was NOBODY better than McCargo at #26.

If you would take Whitner over a guy like Leinart I'd seriously question your sanity... if you take McCargo in a fantasy draft over DeAngelo Williams I'd like to meet your crack dealer.

If the Bills were taking the "best player available" approach none of these guys would be in Blue and Red uni's today becuase they reached on the first 2 picks of the day.

Comment

Working...
                              X