• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

The bottom line is...

... if a player pans out, nobody will give a rats ass whether they were a bit of a 'reach' or not.

I'd have liked to see us grab an extra pick or two, and still get the players the Bills obviously coveted - but there are never any guarantees. Even if it WAS doable, and Marv didn't get it done - be it his inexperience, or whatever - I'd much rather get the player(s) they view as 1) a sure thing (or as close as possible to one...) and 2) the right fit for what we're trying to do here. I don't know about you, but I've had enough of trying to fit square pegs in a round hole, while the whole time hearing how players are being used to their strengths...

And screw the media - they have just as many 'reaches' of their own, year in, year out... but instead of a misjudgement, they are referred to as 'value picks'.
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Re: The bottom line is...

This is around my thinking as well but apparently anyone with this thought is a "homer".

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

Whats up bro?

And yeah, I think you're right...

Either that or my posts are on a lot of peoples' ignore lists...

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JJamezz
        ... if a player pans out, nobody will give a rats ass whether they were a bit of a 'reach' or not.

I'd have liked to see us grab an extra pick or two, and still get the players the Bills obviously coveted - but there are never any guarantees. Even if it WAS doable, and Marv didn't get it done - be it his inexperience, or whatever - I'd much rather get the player(s) they view as 1) a sure thing (or as close as possible to one...) and 2) the right fit for what we're trying to do here. I don't know about you, but I've had enough of trying to fit square pegs in a round hole, while the whole time hearing how players are being used to their strengths...

And screw the media - they have just as many 'reaches' of their own, year in, year out... but instead of a misjudgement, they are referred to as 'value picks'.
        This was marvs first draft and he acted like it.

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

i am happy with the players we got.. that is all i know..

and hopefully we will help out our oline tomorrow.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka

You were happy taking the 3rd rated safety at #8? The 4th rated DT after we traded back into the first round when we could have stayed put and got him in the 2nd?

Marv flat failed today

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

You see we do think a like sometimes!

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                short bus extraordinaire
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JJamezz

it worked with cincinatti and l.jones,though i thought it was a good pick.i felt they could have traded down for him but it was team need.i just hope we can say the same down the road.
                Originally posted by yordad
                Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• kgun12
                  • Jul 2002

The bottom line is that these 3 players will probably pan out, but we could have gotten them with trade downs, and gotten more picks, didn't need to take Whitner at 8 could have gotten him at 14 from Philadelphia, 15. Denver, or maybe 17. Minnesota. Didn't have to over pay for him at 8. Moving up and giving up another pick to take McCargo at 26 is well to be kind just wrong. Hopefully we can have a better day 2!
                  Retired Air Traffic Controller
                  USAF VETERAN
                  DAV

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                    You were happy taking the 3rd rated safety at #8? The 4th rated DT after we traded back into the first round when we could have stayed put and got him in the 2nd?

Marv flat failed today

um.. 3rd rated safety on whose board?? the guys who dont work for the nfl? the guys that just comment and critique if teams dont do what they think is best?

come on man.

whitner was probably their 2nd rated safety behind huff.. and obviously they love mcargo. i would have rated mccargo behind bunkley only.. so i love the pick.

and youboty in the 3rd round?? that is awesome..

tomorrow we can grab a guy like giles or wright, or watson... so i am very happy right now. the draft is half over and we got three good players that fit buffalo's scheme perfectly..

how can you be unhappy with that?
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• kgun12
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                      um.. 3rd rated safety on whose board?? the guys who dont work for the nfl? the guys that just comment and critique if teams dont do what they think is best?

come on man.

whitner was probably their 2nd rated safety behind huff.. and obviously they love mcargo. i would have rated mccargo behind bunkley only.. so i love the pick.

and youboty in the 3rd round?? that is awesome..

tomorrow we can grab a guy like giles or wright, or watson... so i am very happy right now. the draft is half over and we got three good players that fit buffalo's scheme perfectly..

how can you be unhappy with that?
                      Like I said in the other thread if Whinten was the guy they wanted why waste FA money on Bowen?

I agree the can save this draft with Gilles, Wright and or Watson!
                      Retired Air Traffic Controller
                      USAF VETERAN
                      DAV

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by The Spaz
                        This is around my thinking as well but apparently anyone with this thought is a "homer".
                        I feel the same way, too. Thanks for saying it JJamezz.

Originally posted by kgun12
                        Like I said in the other thread if Whinten was the guy they wanted why waste FA money on Bowen?

I agree the can save this draft with Gilles, Wright and or Watson!
                        As I replied in that other thread: because Vincent is 34 or 35 years old and will be gone next year. They can break Whitner in behind Bowen and Vincent until he's ready to start and he will be ready to take over from Vincent from Day One next season.

Also, there are some other offensive line prospects other than "Big Max" who would be good pick-ups, too. And a DT who may be an even better fit for the Bills than either Wright or Watson as well. Still a lot of talent on the board at the Bills' positions of need.
                        Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

Working...
                        X