• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sportsuser101
    • Feb 2005

Bills draftees scouting reports

Donte Whitner | #9
    Safety - Ohio State Height: 5'11" Weight: 200

Donte Whitner's draft stock has been sky-rocketing up the charts due to his incredible play this season. He is a great tackler who not only makes the tackle, but can also hit really hard. His speed, quickness, and initial reaction to the ball is very good, and he has great range on the field. Ohio State doesn't hesitate to send him on a blitz either, and with his explosive speed, he can get to the quarterback very quickly. His physical game is hard to match, and it is blended in with a great athleticism, too. Whitner always brings his 'A' game to the field with great intensity and energy. He makes plays with the ball in the air either picking off the pass or knocking it down to the ground. It is hard to find something to critique in his game, but his man to man coverage could use a little more work, even though his zone coverage ability is fine.

Strengths:
    • Is a physical playmaker
    • Great tackler
    • Exceptional speed and athleticism
    • Very good range
    Weaknesses:
    • Could use a little more work in man to man coverage
    • May be a tweener between S/CB

John McCargo | #90
    Defensive Tackle - N.C. State Height: 6'2" Weight: 295

McCargo is a very impressive pass rusher from the DT spot. When you watch him he gains penetration even against constant double teams. He has very good size for a DT and great quickness. He has a great spin move to his arsenal that really allows him to split double teams. McCargo is always moving on the field and rarely gets stuck on a block. With his ability to penetrate the backfield look for McCargo to be a potential 1st round draft pick whenever he comes out, he has that kind of potential. He has the ability to be the 1st DT selected and that is saying something considering the other players at that position. However, his success might be partially due to the fact that he is surrounded by two great DE’s in Lawson and Williams, yet one must take into consideration McCargo is the one out of those three that is consistently double teamed.

Strengths:
    • Ability to slit the double team
    • Is a great pass rusher from DT position
    • Stays low and gets a solid push on the OL consistently
    Weaknesses:
    • Is not in ideal physical condition
    • Needs to gain more toughness at the point of attack

Ashton Youboty | #26
    Cornerback - Ohio State Height: 6'1" Weight: 188

Youboty is truly one of the most outstanding CB prospects in the nation in this up coming year. He has worlds of potential as a NFL cover man. He has great height and is physically big as a CB. He has excellent hips and very good quickness and ball skills. He is very good at reacting to the football in the air and making plays. When he has to tackle he is a good tackler as well, he is not a superb tackler but he can get the job done when needed. I really like Youboty as a prospect and I expect really big things out of him this season.

Strengths:
    • He has good overall quickness and change of direction skills
    • Has very good height and size as a CB
    • Plays the ball very well in the air and is a fine pass defender
    Weaknesses:
    • Is not a very strong tackler for the most part
    • Does not take away one side of the field, even though he has the potential to be that good
    • Does not have ideal open field speed

I just don't see how you cannot like this draft. Grant it we didn't get an offensive lineman but would you rather have the best player or "reach" for an offensive lineman?
    Dareus - 1st Round Pick
  • Kenny
    • Aug 2004

Re: Bills draftees scouting reports

So you're saying that the 2 players taken in the first are the best players? And they arent 'reaches'?
    The website you took those profiles from ranked McCargo @ #5 best DT.

I still think Bunkley would of been the best player @ 8 and then with the players currently available, take your chances with OL or S later on.
    And even if Whitner wouldnt of been available in the mid-late first round (no one knows), we could of still gotten a decent safety later on.

By going this route, Marv is telling us that he values safety more than DL right now.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Kenny
      So you're saying that the 2 players taken in the first are the best players? And they arent 'reaches'?
      The website you took those profiles from ranked McCargo @ #5 best DT.

I still think Bunkley would of been the best player @ 8 and then with the players currently available, take your chances with OL or S later on.
      And even if Whitner wouldnt of been available in the mid-late first round (no one knows), we could of still gotten a decent safety later on.

By going this route, Marv is telling us that he values safety more than DL right now.
      If the Bills thought that on their value chart that they matched their picks then no they're not reaches. And obviously since the Bills traded up they didn't think McCargo was a reach.

I could care less what the website ranked McCargo as. I was using the site as scouting reports.

I think Bunkley would have been a terrible pick at #8 and I said it before the draft. I just don't think Bunkley is good. I wouldn't take him if he were still there with our 2nd pick either. Just not a fan of his at all.

That is the point you guys are not getting. The Bills obviously thought Whitner was their top true safety. So why would you risk losing him just to trade down and get picks that aren't true value?

How does he value safety more then defensive line? He values Whitner more then Bunkley and Ngata.
      Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• BillsFever21
        • Aug 2004

So drafting Mangold would've been a reach but Whitner and McCargo wasn't?

Funny he is talking about "reaches" at other positions and the draft site he takes this from has McCargo rated #5 and we traded up to take him in the 1st round when all the other DT's were taken in the 3rd round after that.

If he that much better then them guys to give up a draft pick for? There were some great players on the board in the 2nd round where we would've drafted. We may have even gotten him there.

Comment

Working...
        X