X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • historypete
    • Feb 2005

Draft Frustration

Its been a long while since I've posted anything, but today's drafting has me ready to write.

First off, I don't mind the pick of Whitner because we do need safety help. My problem is picking the kid at 8, when he clearly wasn't a top ten pick. Our fearless leaders should have traded down, even if the deal wasn't what they were thinking was great. The more picks we get the more needs we can fill, and as everyone knows we have a number of needs. Even if Denver or Philly were offering a 3rd and 4th or 5th we should have taken it, in my opinion. Whitner still would have been there at 14 or 15. But no, we leave two bookend defensive tackles on the board and select a saftey most still had as a second round projection. When the pick came I was absolutely livid.

Then we trade up with Chicago as speculated. When I saw that I figured they were going to jump on Winston Justice because he had fallen so far. But again we take a guy, who played only five games last year, and more than likely would have been available with our 2nd rounder. In the process we give up one of our thirds, which isn't too bad, but still could have helped fill a need. At the very least this pick wouldn't have been so bad had we dropped down earlier and used the ammunition from that trade to move up to 26.

I just think Marv and the guys played this all wrong. I think Clayton, in his ESPN article was correct when he said they played this too conservatively. I didn't think Marv would wheel and deal like Donahoe, but I also didn't think he would do as poorly managing these picks as he did. Even if Whitner turns out to be great, and I hope he does, we still could have gotten him later and helped ourselves in the process.

Since Marv and everyone at OBD have been going through free agency, I've kept quiet. I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and I didn't think they were doing too poorly in Free Agency, but today's horrible draft management infuriated me. Hopefully we can get some good offensive linemen in here tomorrow.
  • THATHURMANATOR
    • Jul 2002

Re: Draft Frustration

How do you know there were teams that wanted to trade up for sure AND Guarentee No one else would pick whitner?

Comment

• historypete
      • Feb 2005

Re: Draft Frustration

Fair question. As to the other teams moving up, during the coverage and earlier in the day I heard a number of times that Philly and Minnesota were looking for our pick, and that increased with Denver when Lienart fell.

As for the other question, that is impossible to answer because you can't guarantee anything. Detroit may have picked a saftey, but that is doubful once Huff was gone since they also had Linebacker concerns that were just as pressing. Plus, can you guarantee that Whitner wouldn't have been there at 14 or 15? Look the draft is a crapshoot. I just think Marv misjudged the situation and blew a great chance to get the guy they wanted and more picks at the same time.

Comment

Working...
      X