PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts of McCargo and a great article...

Tatonka
04-30-2006, 12:55 AM
I will be honest here.. I was VERY happy when we took McCargo.. first off.. i was scared we were going justice, which i really didnt want, but more than that.. he was one of maybe 5 guys that i REALLY wanted from this draft and i will tell you why.

i think it was Wednesday of this past week, i was listening to serious radio, and Derrick Morris, who is the left tackle for NC State..was being interviewed by Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan.. they talked about his game and his past first, then they started asking the kid about Mario Williams and Manny Lawson.. they were asking them about their game.. what he thought, ect.. he went on about them and stated how he thought both were very good (went into some more detail obviously) and then made a point to mention McCargo.. he said that if he had to pick one of them, they thought that McCargo was the best lineman out of the entire group. he spoke about how fast he gets off the ball and how well he gets pressure. we went on about him for some time..

after i heard the interview, and then kirwans comments on how good he though McCargo was.. i just felt like he was the perfect fit for this team and this defense.. and i was just hoping we would get him.. i feel like we are luckey we did, and i dont think he would have been there in the 2nd.

by the way.. great article on McCargo...

http://insider.espn.go.com/NFL/insid...len&id=2382383

He isn't the most heralded defensive line prospect at North Carolina State, but tackle John McCargo, often overshadowed by the Wolfpack's heralded end tandem of Mario Williams and Manny Lawson, isn't quite an unknown, either, to NFL scouts.

McCargo's ascent up draft boards continued this week with a strong performance at the school's pro day workouts, and his audition certainly enhanced the chances that North Carolina State will have three defensive linemen selected in the first round next month. Williams, of course, is a sure bet, an edge player and upfield rusher regarded by many scouts as the premier defensive player in the draft. Lawson is also a pass-rush threat, an outside defender with great explosiveness and closing speed who might best project to linebacker in a 3-4 front.

John McCargo was an early-entry after playing three seasons at NC State.But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.

"My game has always been about quickness," McCargo said shortly after a pro day workout in which he clocked a 4.94 in the 40. "I really didn't start playing football until the ninth grade and didn't get serious about it until around my junior year [in high school]. But I was a good baseball player and a pretty good basketball player, and some of the traits from those sports, like hand-eye coordination, things like that, kind of carried over onto the football field and helped me a lot."

Scouts agree that one of McCargo's strong suits is his effective use of his hands, often an oversight by young defenders. Watch him on tape, though, and McCargo's hand speed, and ability to get into a blocker's body, is nearly as impressive as his first step forward. That said, McCargo, an underclass prospect, still is very quick off the ball and keeps his feet moving nicely, even when engaged with an opponent.

At a shade under 6-foot-2 and 305 pounds, McCargo isn't as bulky as some of the other tackle prospects in the 2006 draft class. But several franchises, particularly those seeking a one-gap tackle, have now moved him ahead of players such as Michigan's Gabe Watson, Miami's Orien Harris and Texas' Rodrique Wright. Two general managers asked this week about McCargo had him graded in the lower third of the first round, and acknowledged his stock is rising.

"He's a little different than most of the other [tackles]," one general manager said. "Different in a good sort of way because, if you want the upfield guy and not just the run stuffer, there aren't many tackles like him in this year's draft."

An Academic All-American, and an avid but late-blooming student of the game who is now trying to make up for lost time, McCargo understands that Williams and Lawson, flashier players who merit attention by putting the quarterback on the ground, are going to garner most of the headlines. But he understands, too, that there is a place in the NFL for a guy like himself, a hard-working tackle who has made himself into a player and who will soon reap the rewards.

"It never bothered me that people talked so much about Mario and Manny because, I mean, those guys are incredible players," McCargo said. "Playing out on the edge, making big plays in space, you're naturally going to be drawn to those guys. But I was doing some good things, too, inside, and I think the scouts who have done their homework understand that."

AndreReed83
04-30-2006, 01:34 AM
Gil Brandt is pretty big on him too.

One thing I like about him in his college career, is he was good enough that they couldn't double team Lawson or Williams, because McCargo would make them pay. Some people might think his teammates made him what he is, but he's going to be playing with Tripplet and Schobel, who are proven players in the NFL.

ZacGriffi~82
04-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Both the Bears D-lineman are 300 Lbs.

jmb1099
04-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Good article....feel a "little better"....but not much. He is still barely 305 so our Dline is quick but not big. When we play smashmouth, grind it out, big run type teams we may still see alot of yards against us.
Could be a concern, but if Mc Cargo gets into a backfield as quickly as these articles are saying it might be disruptive enough to be effective.

evol4276
04-30-2006, 02:07 AM
good post tho.. i havent looked into McCargo yet, and reading that, I like him a little better. i htink there could be a nice compliment between himself and Triplett in the near future

ParanoidAndroid
04-30-2006, 02:13 AM
Our inside pass rush is going to be nasty.

SquishDaFish
04-30-2006, 07:06 AM
MArio had an interview on sirius also which made me love this pick. He said when asked about McCargo. That "dont overlook him. He is the main reason that Lawson and I myself were so free all the time" And basically that He is real quick and is a force. Something to those lines. And now this thread makes me feel even better.

NC-BILLS44
04-30-2006, 08:45 AM
I knew we would get McCargo. I will try and find my post.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1447318#post1447318

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-30-2006, 08:54 AM
I heard the same interview with Mario Williams on Sirius and when watching the draft highlights yesterday of mario and manny I looked for McCargo and he gets off the ball real quick and he was taking up two and three blockers because of quickly he got in the backfield so I don't think the issue is whether he is good it's just where we took him may have been a little high, I think it was perfect because the Giants were after him from what I hear.

Michael82
04-30-2006, 08:56 AM
Check out what Pro Football Weekly had to say about the pick.... :up:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 border=0 x:str="true"><TBODY><TR height=26><TD class=xl25 bgColor=silver height=26 x:str="26. ">26. Buffalo (from Chicago) — DT John McCargo, North Carolina State</TD></TR><TR height=26><TD class=xl24 bgColor=white height=26>The Bills had a pressing need to fill at defensive tackle and were able to land a very underrated talent at this spot. McCargo is a great fit for new defensive coordinator Perry Fewell's defense and has drawn comparisons to Warren Sapp. With Justin Bannan, Ron Edwards and Sam Adams all having departed, the Bills desperately needed to move up to make sure they could land the three-technique so pivotal to improving their 31st-ranked run defense.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

EDS
04-30-2006, 09:59 AM
My only question about McCargo is that he sounds like a very similar player to Triplett - slightly undersized, good quickness and good at penetration.

I guess I am stiill stuck on preferring bigger defensive tackles - I was so used to it with Pat Williams, Ted Washington and Sam Adams.

Dozerdog
04-30-2006, 10:04 AM
I think we are all stuck in the same mold- the absolute need for a 325 pound fat slob gobbling up the middle.

This defense isn't looking for guys like that. It's looking for guys to run around fat slobs like Mike Williams, not out muscle them.

Tatonka
if you look at the bears D, and the tampa bay DTs.. you have guys like mcfarland.. hovan.. harris, ect..

they are all 300ish pound guys who can fly to the qb.. they are doing the same thing here.. i guess the premis is that if you get to the ball faster, you dont have to be as big.. or if you can get off your block, then tackling is alot easier.. as opposed to big pat, who would stand up, hold his position, wait till the rb tries to run by, and peal off the block at the last second and grab the rb to the ground..

:up:

Meathead
ohm

Tatonka
04-30-2006, 10:06 AM
there is also no reason that we cant sign or draft a bigger DT that you would maybe throw in there for a goalline type situation... like a vet like grady, or another DT like watson in the draft.

EDS
04-30-2006, 10:10 AM
We do probably still need another DT for rotation purposes. Right now the only viable players are Triplett, McCargo and Anderson.

Saratoga Slim
04-30-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm definately on board with this pick. Yes, I would have liked to see us grab him in the 2nd, but as other posters have said (and as I said yesterday) there is no guarantee he would have gotten past the Giants/Steelers pick. If we hadn't traded up, we'd therefore be stuck without a DT prospect we wanted.