After a night of sleep, my comments on day one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

After a night of sleep, my comments on day one!

Some interesting facts:

Donte Whitner was listed as the top pure S by many people. Meaning he wasnt a S who projects to CB like Williams and Huff. Huff went before our pick, Williams dropped into the 2nd but went BEFORE our 2nd rounder with the 37th pick. Jason Allen was at best a late 1st rounder and the Fins took him before our 2nd rounder, and our traded up 1st (26th).

Bottom line: they got what they needed from this pick. Kiper in fact did NOT think it was a reach.

John McCargo was a fast riser on most boards. Some had him as a late 1st round prospect. The Bills stated that they felt there was ahuge drop off after McCargo and they wanted to ensure they got him. Well, as it turns out, only Davorcek went before the 3rd round and he is NOT as good a fit or player as McCargo would be for this team. Wroten went in the 3rd but had a ton of off the field crap. Both Bunkley aned Ngata were NOT sure fire cant miss prospects and Ngata especially wasnta good fit and was listed as lazy. Several teams were talking up taking Bunkley, the Bills probably felt that if they moved down, they could lose out on BOTH Whitner AND Bunkley and wouldnt take that risk. Good move. This draft is too important to take risks that could backfire.

Bottom line: it turned out the Bills were right, no other teams pounced on Wroten, Gabe watson is still out there as is Rod Wright and Orien Harris. They HAD to have another starter at DT out of this draft, McCargo looks to be a great player. Good move. Trading down could have cost us McCargo, and we would have had NO DT at all who could be a quality starter day one.

3rd round. As I expected, we had a run on OT's in the late 2nd early 3rd. If the Bills had moved up we could have taken one. We didnt. Im thinking we have someone in mind in round 4 and wanted to wait for him. Now, many of the guys we thought would go early didnt. That tells me that all 32 teams are not as high as we were on the OT or OG or even C crop for that matter. Davin Joseph went in the 1st, Mangold went in the first. Both were late 1sts and we would have needed to trade up for them and would NOT have our starting DT. Justice went to Philly at 39, BEFORE our 2nd rounder. We werent getting him, period! And with his off the field crap, the Bills probably wouldnt have taken him in the 7th round. Duece Lutui went at 41, BEFORE our 2nd rounder. Then guys like Chester, Colledge, Trueblood, McNeil, Whitworth went BEFORE our 3rd rounders (either of them). Personally, NONE of them are worth a high second rounder. AND that means our we DONT get our cover 2 S or starting DT. I liked Winston and Spencer, they both went BEFORE either of our 3rd rounders and again, neither was worth our 2nd rounder.

Yet we took a 1st round talent in the 3rd round who may just fix the Clements saga. Keep in mind, hes not signed. Many of you would have us not drafting a S OR a CB but rather taking DT, OT, and G/C. OK, and if Clements sits out, who in the hell do we have in our secondary again? McGee and who? Vincent? Bowen? THAT my friend is scarry.

Bottom line: The Bills took best available and managed to get a player that can make up for a possible mess on the horizon with our other starting CB. It would have been nice to land a LT, but there were only 3 true LT's that went day one. D'Brick went way to high for us, Justice had character problems, and Winston went before our 3rd. C/G can be had later and is NOT a must have from our day one.

Overall, we stuck to our board. We considered trades but would not move if it meant a chance to lose out on the guys we like, and we were willing to move to get the guy we liked that fills a MUST have need. After watching TD, play games on draft day and lose out on need positions only to take skill players who may or may not pan out, It was a refreshing change.

The greatest part of this draft so far, is that we are building a team through CHARACTER. The SB teams build just that way, Steelers, Seahawks, even Pats. I LOVE that we arent taking chances on guys with off the field crap.

• Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: After a night of sleep, my comments on day one!

I love the Youbouty pick.

I bet they planned to go OL or LB, but had to take Youbouty when he fell that far.

I'm not unhappy. Whitmer is a gamer who makes things happen. I saw Ohio State a couple of times this year and you always knew he was on the field. Same with Youbouty.

Don't know much about McCargo, but sometimes you look better than you are when you play next to somebody like Williams. I hope McCargo made Williams better, not vice versa.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
      The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
      • Feb 2005

well thought out jp.

I still feel like with all the possibilities at 8 and all the build up was emotionally a big let down to see the picks.

I feel like I do when the bills loose a game.

I hope we have a good day 2 and we will all feel a bit better
      In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

1) BULL SH@# on your entire worthless post.

2) We could have accepted the trade offer form STL and still got Whitner and gained another 3rd. Marv was affraid and didn't have the guts to pull the trigger. 3 more spots? Whitner would have been there.

3) we could have moved up in the 2nd round possibly with houston or New orleans etc and surrendered much less and still got McCargo. Again marv said he was affraid he wouldn't have been there, but if you look at how the draft went down, odds are he would have been. Most certainly in the high 2nd round.

4) the third round pick was outstanding. Youbouty will be our new nickle back immediately.

5) the OT's worth a SH@! are gone. Had marv not wet his depends we would have had possibly three 3rd rounders or still our old two of them to get an OT that could step in by mid season and take over for the next few years.

Nothing yesterday has given me much faith in Marv and company at all. We jumped the gun to reach for guys we could have had a few spots lower or still in the same round. What makes you think we can find a starting LT in rounds 4-7 which is still our clear cut need.

I pray someone in that room pleads for Dusty D the DT from OU in the 5th. That will give us damn good depth for our DT rotation.

Comment

• X-Era
          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by keithtr
          well thought out jp.

I still feel like with all the possibilities at 8 and all the build up was emotionally a big let down to see the picks.

I feel like I do when the bills loose a game.

I hope we have a good day 2 and we will all feel a bit better
          Imust admit there wasnt alot of excited WOW out of day one. But this team had a few MUST HAVES and just couldnt afford to take chances. Furthermore, it just didnt fall such that we could really make some WOW picks.

I know what you mean though. McGahee, Losman, those were WOW picks that made us excited on draft day. But ya know, a few years later neither is still a WOW.

Then you look at the 2 SB teams, who were their exciting picks the past few years? Roth? ok, ill give ya that. But hwo on the Seahawks?

I think the Pats make the point even better. They take value at every pick. Now, they were lucky enough to have good quality starters before the drafts, but we werent in that spot.

I think McCargo and Tripplett will suprise us. You have Fletcher, McCargo, Tripplett, even TKO who can FLY to the ball. I bet we are very happy to watch our team speed on D next year. Whitners fast as hell, even Youboty is fast. Even on O, specifically our WR's we have a ton of speed.

We just might be happily suprised at our team next year when we are flying all over the field and making plays with hard nosed football players who have a never die attitude!

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

They could have afforded chances, Marv didn't have the balls to do so.

Comment

• X-Era
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129

2) We could have accepted the trade offer form STL and still got Whitner and gained another 3rd. Marv was affraid and didn't have the guts to pull the trigger. 3 more spots? Whitner would have been there.

3) we could have moved up in the 2nd round possibly with houston or New orleans etc and surrendered much less and still got McCargo. Again marv said he was affraid he wouldn't have been there, but if you look at how the draft went down, odds are he would have been. Most certainly in the high 2nd round.

4) the third round pick was outstanding. Youbouty will be our new nickle back immediately.

5) the OT's worth a SH@! are gone. Had marv not wet his depends we would have had possibly three 3rd rounders or still our old two of them to get an OT that could step in by mid season and take over for the next few years.

Nothing yesterday has given me much faith in Marv and company at all. We jumped the gun to reach for guys we could have had a few spots lower or still in the same round. What makes you think we can find a starting LT in rounds 4-7 which is still our clear cut need.

I pray someone in that room pleads for Dusty D the DT from OU in the 5th. That will give us damn good depth for our DT rotation.
              Dustin Davorcek is gone a-hole and your useless *****ing is just an annoyance to quality Bills fans.

Go route for another team, take a Geritol, fix your walker, or just plain bite me.

Im sick of your garbage posts that show off your blazing ignorrance.

ignore/ON

Comment

• YardRat
                Well, lookie here...
                • Dec 2004

We got a safety, a DT, and a corner with our first three picks...Whitner and McCargo definite starters, Youboty at worst a nickel back, at best replacing Clements.

Not the players I expected, but positions filled where we needed talent, so I'm not going to ***** too much. The offensive line was addressed mostly through free agency, so I'm glad we're concentrating on defense during the draft.

The proof will come on the field...if all three become quality starters for this team, Marv will look like a genius.
                YardRat Wall of Fame
                #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
                  Dustin Davorcek is gone a-hole and your useless *****ing is just an annoyance to quality Bills fans.

Go route for another team, take a Geritol, fix your walker, or just plain bite me.

Im sick of your garbage posts that show off your blazing ignorrance.

ignore/ON
                  I am one of the few quality bills fans around. You homers are the biggest part of the problem outside of Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Wow.. IF this board was professional wrestling, Ice just officially had his "heel" turn.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ICE74129
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                      Wow.. IF this board was professional wrestling, Ice just officially had his "heel" turn.
                      Yeah please grace us with how you feel this worked out. Had anyone suggested we pick who we did, where we did you would be long gone by now with your tirades. So cut the BS

Comment

• jmb1099
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by patmoran2006

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                          • Feb 2005

Great post JP. At first I was pissed we didn't trade down at all, but realize now that it could've meant losing the player we wanted. I would rather get the player that is coveted.

Comment

• acehole
                            • Jan 2006

Ice calm down...I understand how you feel becuase I fellt it just yesterday. The guy we picked are all young and good and only will improve. They are all starting caliper except for yaboty who can start at nickle and move to nates spot next year. I was looking at draft value charts at the spots that these players were going and the spots they went. If you add those up we are on a net gain. In other words Yabooty was said to be a first round pick as was Mcargo (Giants32) so in essence we got 3 #1 picks. I feel your pain on the line situation...but maybe they think Aaron Gibson can start at RT we got our center...we just signed our LG If we move peters to LT......I think we just need a RG mauler type. If we suck so what we aint going to the bowl. We address the Offense in next years draft. There are no starting LT's in this draft aside of furgeson. So what did you want?

Originally posted by ICE74129

Hated by the stupid..
                            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Excellent thread, jp-era!!

It's amazing how much one night does to a draft like this. I was flipping out yesterday and now after reading Pro Football Weekly and some other draft magazines and sites, I feel a lot better. Yes, Whitner MAY have been a reach, but the truth is, he was the best available safety and was skyrocking up draft boards. if the Bills traded down, the Lions may have taken him, or the Browns might have. We don't know. Check out what Pro Football Weekly said about the pick....

8. Buffalo — S Donte Whitner, Ohio State
                              Some outsiders might consider this pick a bit of a reach. The reality is that a lot of teams were lining up to secure Whitner, and he was graded as a consensus first-round talent around the league and would not have lasted much longer. He is very, very smart and instinctive and should replace Coy Wire in the starting lineup immediately. With intelligence and character being highly valued by new head coach Dick Jauron, a former NFL safety himself, Whitner was a natural fit.
                              Then there's McCargo, it's very interesting to see that most of the other top DTs that people were talking about were not taken. They are all still out there.... Gabe Watson, Rodrique Wright, Orien Harris. I really think that the Bills may have been right, if they didn't take him there, someone else would have taken him before their 2nd rounder.

Oh and to make you all feel better, check out what Pro Football Weekly said about the McCargo pick.....

26. Buffalo (from Chicago) — DT John McCargo, North Carolina State
                              The Bills had a pressing need to fill at defensive tackle and were able to land a very underrated talent at this spot. McCargo is a great fit for new defensive coordinator Perry Fewell's defense and has drawn comparisons to Warren Sapp. With Justin Bannan, Ron Edwards and Sam Adams all having departed, the Bills desperately needed to move up to make sure they could land the three-technique so pivotal to improving their 31st-ranked run defense.
                              And then you can read the grades from Pete Prisco...not too shabby....

8. Buffalo selects: Donte Whitner, SS, Ohio StateGrade
                              They wanted a defensive playmaker and Whitner is a good one. But this is a little high for him. They must think J.P. Losman is the real deal.B-

26. Buffalo (from Chicago) selects: John McCargo, DT, North Carolina StateGrade
                              They traded up to get McCargo, so they must really like him. He's a guy whose stock has jumped up the past month. He's a penetrating lineman who fits what the Bills want to do. He's an active player who can play the run and the pass.B
                              Face it, none of us knows what would have happened if the Bills didn't move fast. Both of these guys could have been gone if we tried to wait them out. And now the Bills got two solid players that they really like and are both young and could be future stars.

Comment

Working...
                              X