PDA

View Full Version : My TRUE Day-One Thoughts.. (shorter version)

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 09:16 AM
This is the short version, call it my "cliff notes".. Working on a longer article that will be done Monday morning (not like the majority of you care)

and keep in mind that here ANYONE who knows my history here can NEVER EVER accuse me of being a "Homer"..

I am one of the few who upon digesting this draft, absolutely LOVES 80% of what the Buffalo Bills did, ESPECIALLY trading up to get McCargo.

* Donte Whitner thoughts: Forget the spot for now.. Lets talk about the player. Dick Jauron and Perry Fewel have now PROVEN to me at least, that they are COMMITTED to a cover two defense. Though overall Huff was a better safety and will probably have a more high profile career, WHitner is the best COVER safety in this draft. In the "tampa two", your safety has to be able to cover the entire half of the field, Whitner can do that better than anybody except maybe Huff (who was gone and we couldnt control that). He's also physical. The only thing I dont like about him is he is a bit small and might get run over now and then.

* I do think Marv made a mistake by not trading down. Reports said Detroit was taking Ernie Sims if Huff was gone. He certainly wasnt going after 9 (det) until probably Miami at 16 (who took Allen). I think he could have traded down and got another third, which would have been EXTREMELY valuable knowing they were going to trade up for McCargo and lose a third. This team needs player so in that regards I think not trading down was a mistake. Still, Whitner is PRIME for a cover two and is more valuable to us than teams not playing a cover two.

* I absolutely LOVE the McCargo pick and I think he was worth losing a third rounder for. We entered the draft with DT being the BIGGEST spot to find a new starter, and we did that. Again, it shows we are COMMITTED to a cover two and we wanted athletic DT's.. He fits that bill to a tee. Potentially from everything I have read, he can be one of the steals of this draft.

BTW- I would have taken McCargo before Ngata for this defense. I liked Wroten better but thats it, and he had too many character issues for Marv's liking I guess. I think in Wroten, the Rams got one of the top 10 players in this draft, but oh well.

* I'm shocked they went up in the first round to get him, but ya know what, in 2 years if this guy plays like they think he can, nobody will care.

* The Youboty pick was an AWESOME pick. I dont think he was picked for this year to play much, they like Greer and King.. But those guys are backups, this guy has the ability to be a starter. This is the 2007 insurance pick if Nate isnt back.. I dont argue it for a second.

BILLS SUMMARY:
I'm in the BIG TIME MINORITY here, but I have NO PROBLEM with them not taking an OL on day one of this draft. People should remember the WEAKNESS of this OL last year was the INTERIOR.. Teams blasted us right through the middle.. WEll Marv did his part this FA period by signing Fowler and Reyes (who I think was the most valuable FA of anyone we signed).. Preston is a year more experienced and will eventually take over for that bum Villarrial.

Sure it would have been nice to find more good linemen (I think we should have "overpaid" for a new left tackle in FA still). But with this draft, Marv totally addressed two important parts of a lousy DEFENSE on day one.

Though most lists have us as one of the Biggest losers on draft day, I give this draft a pretty solid "B" right now.

"My Problem with Marv": The only problem with Marv as a GM to this point is I dont think he has a Plan B when putting something together. They "could" have traded down with Whitner IMO< but didnt have a plan B "if" he would have been surprisingly gone.. Thats why I think he didnt trade down. He didnt have a plan "b" for McCargo either, which is why he traded up.. I think trading down would have given us more depth at DE, and we could have drafted a guard in round three, the only offensive pick I wish we had made.. I've noticed that about Marv, he didnt have a plan B after not signign Idonije either.. His comeback was Ryan Denney. Maybe thats lack of experience or old age.. He needs to start learning to hav a better Plan B.

OTHER QUICK THOUGHTS AROUND THE DRAFT:

wow did my mock draft suck.. In my defense, I seen FEW if any mocks that had a lot of these guys rising and falling like they did.

* I cant F'n belive the Patriots got Chad Jackson, IN THE SECOND ROUND! That's insane. He's one of the luckiest guys in this draft. He's going to be HUGE for NE.. God-dammit that sucks for the Bills.

* The Jets IMO had the best draft just for the first round alone.. Mangold and BRICK.. Thats 40% of your OL that has future PRo Bowls written all over it. This team isnt going to be sucking for much longer. To me, to have two monster STUDS on your OL from one draft is as good as it gets.

* LoL at Winston Justice.. That's what he gets for running his mouth saying he's better than Brick. Philly did get Bunkley AND Justice.. That's going to help them.

* Leinart hates life right now, but in 2 years he should be thrilled.. Perfect situation in Arz.. Not rushed into starting lineup, and has best WR tandem in league to work with and a RB in Edge.. Great fit for him, just not on draft day.

* Day one best draft (outside the Jets) IMO is Houston, which isnt far fetched seeing they had the first pick overall.. First four picks saw them go DE (Williams) LB (Ryan), G (Spencer) and tackle (Winston).. They worked on BOTH sides of the line and though Bush could be the Michael Jordan of the NFL someday, this team just got SO MUCH better in the trenches.

Lastly..
I think you all seen the official "heel" turn of Ice on this board, and the past 24 hours have proven what I been saying for MONTHS NOW; this guy doesnt even know his OWN opinion.

For months, I been battling with him, even got myself suspended for being STUPID enough to get goaded into personal attacks on him, because he FRUSTRATES me so much with his "thoughts" and how they change every week..

"marv and modrak and co." this and that.. Marv was a genius and so was Modrak. According to him now, Marv needs his "depends" and this whole team is a joke and the "stands are going to be empty" and "bags on the head" and this and that.. ALL IN ONE DAY.. All you have to do is go thread hunting to see exactly what im saying.

you sit there and preach and "pat yourself on the back" about how much you know about football, how you coach and how you know so much more than the majority of us, and then you sit there and BASH the living hell out of not one but TWO players who are 100% perfect fits for our new defense.. Why? Whitner and McCargo might not be ideal for most teams, but for a cover two Ferrel probably has a hard-on right now.

What happened to your "Two year process" theory that you used as your only base for defense until now? Is that theory out the window too now?

you confuse me.

anyways, these are my thoughts.. so much for the cliff note version huh.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 09:21 AM
No one ever said you were a homer, we just disagree on how to revamp this team and who to plug in. So what? It happens.

That said...

Read my post on what do we do in rounds 4-7 I would like your impute.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 09:43 AM
There's nothing wrong with disagreeing. I disagree with almost everyone here, some more than others.

But when its YOU someone disagrees with you go on a tirade about how smart you are, "this is a two year plan", how a "third grader knows more about football than me"

Your bashing of the picks we took yesterday is symbolic that maybe its YOU who knows nothing about football.

You called Whitner a second-round talent.. That's a joke in itself right there. He was a mid-round first pick on most projections and Miami would have taken him in a SECOND if he was on the board at 16. along with Cromartie, he rose up the draft boards in the past month faster than anybody.

And McCargo might be useless to some DL's that require size and beef but for the Bills he's a PERFECT fit.

You want to run a real cover two or a half-assed cover two? If your answer is the former, then you NEED the tools to do it effectively.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 09:50 AM
There's nothing wrong with disagreeing. I disagree with almost everyone here, some more than others.

But when its YOU someone disagrees with you go on a tirade about how smart you are, "this is a two year plan", how a "third grader knows more about football than me"

Your bashing of the picks we took yesterday is symbolic that maybe its YOU who knows nothing about football.

You called Whitner a second-round talent.. That's a joke in itself right there. He was a mid-round first pick on most projections and Miami would have taken him in a SECOND if he was on the board at 16. along with Cromartie, he rose up the draft boards in the past month faster than anybody.

And McCargo might be useless to some DL's that require size and beef but for the Bills he's a PERFECT fit.

You want to run a real cover two or a half-assed cover two? If your answer is the former, then you NEED the tools to do it effectively.

McCargo if you check everywhere is rated as a 2nd rounder. Even DraftBoy and I had a discussion about him being there in the 3rd. We dont' know miami would have taken him in the first either.

Look you and I disagree and that is fine but you know for FACT you wouldn't have had him as a first rounder had we talked about this days ago. We can look back now and say 'ok...maybe he was a first rounder after all' but not leading up to the draft. I can admit that and you need to also.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 09:54 AM
No, I DO admit I didnt have him a first rounder.

I also admit I didnt understand/respect/expect how COMMITTED the Bills brass is COMMITTED to running a PROPER cover two defense with the RIGHT components.. they took guys who are generally perceived as lower rated, but who fit their defense PERFECTLY.

Its the SAME thing with FA.. You bashed me for being pissed off we didnt sign guys like Runyan, Stephen Neal, Pickett, whatever 'big names' I *****ed and moaned about.

And now you are bashing the Bills for not drafting the "big names" like Bunkley, Winston Justice, Eric Winston or Darnell Bing in favor of lesser known players who should be good contributors.

WTF is the difference?

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 10:01 AM
No, I DO admit I didnt have him a first rounder.

I also admit I didnt understand/respect/expect how COMMITTED the Bills brass is COMMITTED to running a PROPER cover two defense with the RIGHT components.. they took guys who are generally perceived as lower rated, but who fit their defense PERFECTLY.

Its the SAME thing with FA.. You bashed me for being pissed off we didnt sign guys like Runyan, Stephen Neal, Pickett, whatever 'big names' I *****ed and moaned about.

And now you are bashing the Bills for not drafting the "big names" like Bunkley, Winston Justice, Eric Winston or Darnell Bing in favor of lesser known players who should be good contributors.

WTF is the difference?

The only difference is this, Marv used the word 'affraid' when talking about trading down. You and I both know we could have accepted the trade from STL to move down 3 spots and still get whitner. He didn't have the guts to do so. When as a GM you are so locked into a guy you aren't willing to weigh any other options...that is a problem and you know that pat.

We should have STILL had two 3rds after the mccargo trade. We saw tackles go off of the board that could have helped us. McCargo to me cost us another talented player we could of had.

The other thing is this, Bunkley just as easilly could have been our other DT and IMO is going to end up being better than McCargo. Hell I might be wrong, but if you got a guy right there that is the freak that he is and DOES fit your system....you take him. But again that is my opinion.

Lastly I was ripping you in FA because there was no one worth overpaying for. The great FA's already knew where they wanted to go. Pickett wasn't worth the money and GB will find that out. They just signed woodson to an incredibly stupid contract so do you think that same staff is any wiser by overpaying Pickett? It was obvious That some FA's saw us as option 2,3 or 4 on their list and did the interviews just in case their top choices didn't pan out. I don't want those types of players here.

Meathead
04-30-2006, 10:14 AM
i would agree that almost everybody posting in this thread is a putz