PDA

View Full Version : Whitner pick has me thinking Vincent is gone next year

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Which shouldn't be a suprise. Whitner is a tad small to play SS but is the perfect FS. Now in the cover 2 they are interchangeable but how long do we keep vincent around?

This next offseason Vincent and his contract can go, Whitner can be FS with Bowen or another FA at SS. Right now we are loaded at Safety and CB.

Jersey1031
04-30-2006, 09:45 AM
I hope not, he's a very smart player, and I think he's important to teach to the younger DB's...

OpIv37
04-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Make him a coach. Vincent's probably one of the smarter players in the NFL- maybe the smartest non-QB- but he's old and has definitely lost a step. We need him in 06 but I wouldn't mind seeing him with a clipboard instead of a helmet in 07.

Dozerdog
04-30-2006, 09:47 AM
$2.5 million isn't that bad of a deal to have a veteran presence back there- especially when the long-term contract for Clements is in doubt.

Vincent gives you versatility- if we get a couple of injuries back there he can play CB or S.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 09:53 AM
$2.5 million isn't that bad of a deal to have a veteran presence back there- especially when the long-term contract for Clements is in doubt.

Vincent gives you versatility- if we get a couple of injuries back there he can play CB or S.

But how old is he now? We saw clear cut signs last year of his play slipping. I don't see him getting better this year or next. Age is a factor along with him whiffing greatly on wide open tackles last year. he lost a step so he got moved to safety. Now apperantly he has lost another step.

Whitner IMHO was drafted to replace him sooner than later. I would think this next offseason possibly. We can grab another SS if need be with all of our upcoming cap room to fill that spot if Bowen isn't the answer.

Where Whitner plays this year is anyones guess.

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Vincent is ideal for the cover 2. He'll be back next year imo unless he has a serious dropoff.

acehole
04-30-2006, 10:51 AM
Which shouldn't be a suprise. Whitner is a tad small to play SS but is the perfect FS. Now in the cover 2 they are interchangeable but how long do we keep vincent around?

This next offseason Vincent and his contract can go, Whitner can be FS with Bowen or another FA at SS. Right now we are loaded at Safety and CB.

acehole
04-30-2006, 10:52 AM
let him go now.......what is the use of having him there? For our superbowl run?

LifetimeBillsFan
04-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Vincent may be gone this year with the Simpson pick.

Shortly after Dick Jauron was hired, I saw a couple of articles that mentioned that the Bills had offered Vincent, who is still president of the NFLPA, a job in their front office, but that he had turned them down in order to keep playing. This was kind of lost because it came out just about the same time that the Bills were hiring their coaches and getting rid of Adams, Milloy, etc.

I interpreted that offer to Vincent as an effort on the Bills' part to "kick him upstairs" either because of his involvement with the lockerroom revolt last season or because they felt he was too old to fit into their new defense. Because Vincent is very popular with the other players, has very important connections around the league, and very intelligent and business saavy, I think that the Bills were concerned about the possible negative implications of cutting Vincent, so they were trying to finesse their way around that by offering Vincent a FO job.

I don't know if they will push Vincent out of the door this year, but I think that they have now sent him a clear signal that they do not want him around next season. At this point, I would not be surprised if they were to let him go during training camp perhaps.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 11:41 AM

Ko Simpson is a FS.. Whitner was drafted as and will play SS.. He HOPEFULY will be our version of Troy Polamalu.

!Papacrunk!
04-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey, we'll take him, have him retire where he started.

G. Host
04-30-2006, 12:12 PM
I do not think he can play CB well anymore. His play has slipped a lot.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Ko Simpson is a FS.. Whitner was drafted as and will play SS.. He HOPEFULY will be our version of Troy Polamalu.

Then Whitner better add about 12-15lbs. That said how many more safetys do we need?