PDA

View Full Version : Someone please explain this to me...

OpIv37
04-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Marv refused to overpay for FA OL help like Stephen Neal, and the fans found that perfectly acceptable.

Now, Marv made reach draft picks that he will now have to overpay, but the fans also find that perfectly acceptable.

So is overpaying players a good idea or not? Some of you are trying to have it both ways.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Marv refused to overpay for FA OL help like Stephen Neal, and the fans found that perfectly acceptable.

Now, Marv made reach draft picks that he will now have to overpay, but the fans also find that perfectly acceptable.

So is overpaying players a good idea or not? Some of you are trying to have it both ways.

How will he overpay? Our rookie cap will be about 3 mill. All teams have one. Agents know this. He didn't overpay for OLDER guys. He will pay what is the slotted standard (+10% I believe) for where our guys were drafted and it will be over a long term contract.

OpIv37
04-30-2006, 09:58 AM
How will he overpay? Our rookie cap will be about 3 mill. All teams have one. Agents know this. He didn't overpay for OLDER guys. He will pay what is the slotted standard (+10% I believe) for where our guys were drafted and it will be over a long term contract.

you said it yourself. They're paid by the slot where they're drafted. If someone's a reach, they're picked at a higher slot than they should have been, meaning they will be paid more than if they were taken at the appropriate slot.

That's overpaying. Plus there are signing bonuses and other ways of manipulating the cap. You don't think Whitner's agent can find a way to take advantage of the fact that the Bills thought he was the 8th best player in the draft?

Cntrygal
04-30-2006, 10:12 AM
In that case, none of them should be taken the first day. They are all overrated and unproven until they actually play with the pros.

OpIv37
04-30-2006, 10:23 AM
In that case, none of them should be taken the first day. They are all overrated and unproven until they actually play with the pros.

That's what Marv's mentor, George Allen, thought. He was known to trade away entire drafts for proven veterans.

To some extent I agree with him, however in the salary cap age it's impossible to have a team full of proven vets- you still need a good draft to be competitive.