• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Someone please explain this to me...

Marv refused to overpay for FA OL help like Stephen Neal, and the fans found that perfectly acceptable.

Now, Marv made reach draft picks that he will now have to overpay, but the fans also find that perfectly acceptable.

So is overpaying players a good idea or not? Some of you are trying to have it both ways.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Someone please explain this to me...

Originally posted by OpIv37
    Marv refused to overpay for FA OL help like Stephen Neal, and the fans found that perfectly acceptable.

Now, Marv made reach draft picks that he will now have to overpay, but the fans also find that perfectly acceptable.

So is overpaying players a good idea or not? Some of you are trying to have it both ways.
    How will he overpay? Our rookie cap will be about 3 mill. All teams have one. Agents know this. He didn't overpay for OLDER guys. He will pay what is the slotted standard (+10% I believe) for where our guys were drafted and it will be over a long term contract.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
      How will he overpay? Our rookie cap will be about 3 mill. All teams have one. Agents know this. He didn't overpay for OLDER guys. He will pay what is the slotted standard (+10% I believe) for where our guys were drafted and it will be over a long term contract.
      you said it yourself. They're paid by the slot where they're drafted. If someone's a reach, they're picked at a higher slot than they should have been, meaning they will be paid more than if they were taken at the appropriate slot.

That's overpaying. Plus there are signing bonuses and other ways of manipulating the cap. You don't think Whitner's agent can find a way to take advantage of the fact that the Bills thought he was the 8th best player in the draft?
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Cntrygal
        Visually stunning but camera-shy.
        • Jul 2002

In that case, none of them should be taken the first day. They are all overrated and unproven until they actually play with the pros.
        Originally posted by notacon
        The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Cntrygal
          In that case, none of them should be taken the first day. They are all overrated and unproven until they actually play with the pros.
          That's what Marv's mentor, George Allen, thought. He was known to trade away entire drafts for proven veterans.

To some extent I agree with him, however in the salary cap age it's impossible to have a team full of proven vets- you still need a good draft to be competitive.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
          X