PDA

View Full Version : Bills take Ko Simpson, S

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Nice value pick.

Tatonka
04-30-2006, 10:31 AM
good value.. i really didnt see that coming.. i was sure we were going OL there.

yeah.. vincent is ****ed.

Dozerdog
04-30-2006, 10:32 AM
The biggest suprise is that he's not a DB from Ohio State .

Good value pick- extreamly fast- but 3 DB's in the first 4 rounds seems a bit excessive.

patmoran2006
Vincent has to be gone, otherwise I dont get this at all..

Vincent, Bowen, Whitner, Baker, Wire and now Simpson.

Bye bye Wire for sure...

sba
Levy is an idiot, he's clearly taking BPA and ignoring needs.

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Wire is too good on ST to let go. In the cover 2 you need alot of versatile defensive backs. That's what the Bills are doing.

Tatonka
rofl..

simpson is listed above whitner in the BZ draft guide.

SquishDaFish
Man what a potentially great secondary for years to come.

Hounds
04-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Do the Bills only want to draft underclassmen

hammerbillsfan
04-30-2006, 10:34 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/simpson_ko

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah we are defintely developing a strong secondary which in the cover 2 is what you need.

Gabe Watson to the Cardinals. Green always takes those problem players it seems.

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Do the Bills only want to draft underclassmen

Yeah but technically Simpson is more of a senior because he's 23.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Wire is too good on ST to let go. In the cover 2 you need alot of versatile defensive backs. That's what the Bills are doing.
Nope.. Thats Bowens role now.. bye bye Wire I can guarentee you that..

OK I am not getting this, I aint jumping to any conclusions.

but why ANOTHER secondary and not a Guard or DT.

Sims, Matui or Gabe Watson (who just went to Arz) would have been more logical picks.

Marv had all night to think about this pick.. I'm just not sure in the sense of Simpson.. I know he slipped and was projected to be taken higher than this.. I understand the value of the pick, not geting the logic of it right now though.

Saratoga Slim
GREAT value pick. Ko Simpson sounds like he has all the upside in the world, just needs some experience.

but I really want to see some OL or DT help with the two rd 5 picks.

SquishDaFish
Yea I believe they said 3rd year soph??

Romes
Is the #32 available?

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 10:37 AM
If the Bills had Simpson as their top player on their board then they take him. It has nothing to do with position at this point unless its a glamour position like QB, RB and maybe even WR.

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Great pick here. What we now have our 3 solid fundamental DB's in McGee, Whitner, and Youboty and our future playmaker/gambler in Simpson. I am of the opinion that DB is the most important part of the Cover 2 scheme. So Im loving these picks. Though I still dont like the McCargo pick, look for us to go OL with atleast 1 if not both of our round 5 picks.

Jersey1031
04-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Not if Wright is still there...

Tatonka
if the bills grab value picks, they are idiots for not drafting need.

if the bills take needs.. they are idiots for reaching and not taking BPA..

:rofl:

fans crack me up.

DraftBoy
Nope.. Thats Bowens role now.. bye bye Wire I can guarentee you that..

OK I am not getting this, I aint jumping to any conclusions.

but why ANOTHER secondary and not a Guard or DT.

Sims, Matui or Gabe Watson (who just went to Arz) would have been more logical picks.

Marv had all night to think about this pick.. I'm just not sure in the sense of Simpson.. I know he slipped and was projected to be taken higher than this.. I understand the value of the pick, not geting the logic of it right now though.

Easy you build the cover 2 defense from the back, we now have a DB we dont have to touch for about 5-6 years, thats incredible for us and their ability to gel together. We could be deadly. Simpson and Whinter are going to be a dangerous combo in the back, and McGee and Youboty will lock down opposing WR's at the line. Im excited about the future of our D.

Look for us to address OL and DL in rd 5.

Tatonka
04-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Great pick here. What we now have our 3 solid fundamental DB's in McGee, Whitner, and Youboty and our future playmaker/gambler in Simpson. I am of the opinion that DB is the most important part of the Cover 2 scheme. So Im loving these picks. Though I still dont like the McCargo pick, look for us to go OL with atleast 1 if not both of our round 5 picks.

i agree w/ the first part.. but why is it you are not a mccargo fan?

SquishDaFish
04-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Right tatonka LMAO. They reached and drafted 2 need in first 2 rounds. Now like it should be the rest of the way is BPA on their board not anyone elses board but the Buffalo War room board.

SquishDaFish
04-30-2006, 10:42 AM
McCargo is my fav pick personally.

acehole
04-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Was supose to be a very high second rounder

http://www.nfldraftforecast.com/Profiles/kosimpson.shtml

So lets recap

3 potential first rounders and a potential high second rounder.

I really like it.

Would like a pass rusher if possible to make this all click better for the future.

I think its great.

venis2k1
04-30-2006, 10:49 AM
He will sit most of this year, the crack on simpson is that he is raw, he can be great if he learns from nate/Vincent.

Saratoga Slim
04-30-2006, 10:51 AM
nfldraftalmanac.com sure likes Simpson:

http://www.nfldraftalmanac.com/index.php?c=42&a=480

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 10:52 AM
He will sit most of this year, the crack on simpson is that he is raw, he can be great if he learns from nate/Vincent.

No he won't. He is ready to step in right now. He just keeps improving every year. The knock on him was he wasn't as fast as they thought he needed to be. Don't fool yourself this kid will step in right away and compete.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 10:57 AM
Easy you build the cover 2 defense from the back, we now have a DB we dont have to touch for about 5-6 years, thats incredible for us and their ability to gel together. We could be deadly. Simpson and Whinter are going to be a dangerous combo in the back, and McGee and Youboty will lock down opposing WR's at the line. Im excited about the future of our D.

Look for us to address OL and DL in rd 5.

IF you are correct here. You didnt even mention Nate Clements.

IF this is our plan, why in the WORLD did we franchise him and have to pay him Over SEVEN MILLION Dollars?

They should have let him walk if they are doing this in draft, IMO and put his $7 million to a Left Tackle and DT

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 11:01 AM

IF this is our plan, why in the WORLD did we franchise him and have to pay him Over SEVEN MILLION Dollars?

They should have let him walk if they are doing this in draft, IMO and put his $7 million to a Left Tackle and DT

So you want the Bills to have Terrence McGee and Ashton Youboty as our starting corners???

Tatonka
04-30-2006, 11:08 AM
i dont know if anyone noticed how big ko simpson and youboty are.. both 6'1".. kinda rare for dbs..

all of our dbs (mcgee, nate, whitner, simpson, youboty) run a 4.4 or better as well.. and all of them can hit.

ddaryl
04-30-2006, 11:08 AM
We need Clements to get us through this year. We can franchise him again next year and trade him for a 2nd. If he has a career year this year we can get a 1st.

The DB's we've drafted will have an impact but they'll need a year or 3

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 11:12 AM

Youboty and Simpson will not be ready to go this year as it is Nate and Troy's last season here in Buffalo, look for them both to be looked to be traded (more likely Nate) or cut.

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 11:13 AM
i agree w/ the first part.. but why is it you are not a mccargo fan?

Inconsistency, and product of good lineman around him, Im hoping we pickup a Montavious Stanley type.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Youboty and Simpson will not be ready to go this year as it is Nate and Troy's last season here in Buffalo, look for them both to be looked to be traded (more likely Nate) or cut.

Alright, I was wondering because you didnt mention Nate..

Tatonka
well... according to the NC state Olineman and mario williams himself, mccargo was the reason the two ends were so good.

LifetimeBillsFan
I had exactly the same questions that you raised, Pat, when I first saw this pick because I must admit that I am not as familiar with the intricacies of the Cover 2 as some are. I know it was a very good "value" pick, but had questions about it. Having heard what some of the guys here have been saying, some of my concerns about that have been alleviated.

As for the linemen, I guess that they figure that, with the way they have been falling, at least a couple of them will still be there early in Round 5. I'm shocked at how far some of them have dropped.

I totally agree with you about Wire. Unless he puts on a lot of weight and can play LB--not likely!--I think they have already decided to say "goodbye" to him.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-30-2006, 11:19 AM
The Bills can trade Clements after the draft or remove the franchise tag from him and just let him go now. I still think that they will keep him for this year, but this also gives them a lot of leverage if they keep the tag on him and he tries to hold out.

Spiderweb
04-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Well, the Bills are now well positioned for a complete overhaul of the secondary. Nate may well not play for the Bills this year afterall. I guess the "brass' isn't overly enamored with the lineman this year. We do seem to take an inordinate number of DB's over the years in rounds 1-3.

When can the Bills pull the Franchise Tag? What's the time frame? After the year he had last year, I'm not overally concerned if he does leave.

!Papacrunk!
04-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Well it does make sense to gear up the secondary since the AFCEAST still has Tom Brady in it. I know a lot of people think 'Pepper will be a scrub, but I imagine it would still be safe to have some protection, just in case he's able to regain his past downfield ability. The Jets may not have anyone that is scary on paper at QB at this point, but at maybe their line will help the dull QBs shine. So I guess it would be wise to bolster one's secondary.

Tatonka
04-30-2006, 11:29 AM
who says the bills dont like the OL in this years draft... maybe they just like guys they feel they can get later.. lets see how they finish the day.

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Well, the Bills are now well positioned for a complete overhaul of the secondary. Nate may well not play for the Bills this year afterall. I guess the "brass' isn't overly enamored with the lineman this year. We do seem to take an inordinate number of DB's over the years in rounds 1-3.

When can the Bills pull the Franchise Tag? What's the time frame? After the year he had last year, I'm not overally concerned if he does leave.

Nate didn't have a good year last year but that was partly due to the terrible run defense. Nate had to come up to the line so much to watch the run that it got him off balanced quite a bit last year. Often he was beat on the 1st step or 2 because of watching for the run. Nate is perfect for the cover 2 because of his physicalness. You need physical corners for the cover 2.

Romes
04-30-2006, 11:32 AM
i dont know if anyone noticed how big ko simpson and youboty are.. both 6'1".. kinda rare for dbs..

all of our dbs (mcgee, nate, whitner, simpson, youboty) run a 4.4 or better as well.. and all of them can hit.

This is awesome. Tall, fast DB's all over the field...not too many teams can boast to have those.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 11:33 AM
This is awesome. Tall, fast DB's all over the field...not too many teams can boast to have those.

Very true, but doesnt mean much unless you can stop the run and make teams try to throw on you.

Lets hope between the end of this draft and possibly free agency after or June 1, that we can find at least 1-2 more DL good enough to be in a regular rotation.

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Very true, but doesnt mean much unless you can stop the run and make teams try to throw on you.

Lets hope between the end of this draft and possibly free agency after or June 1, that we can find at least 1-2 more DL good enough to be in a regular rotation.

Whitner and Simpson are strong against the run.

Romes
04-30-2006, 11:43 AM

agreed.

we will struggle this year if we can't figure out how to stop the run. that is still our major weakness at this point. I'm not confident we can find anyone at this point, though. I'm hoping that the rotation of tripplet, mccargo and anderson suprises us a little :worry:

G. Host
04-30-2006, 11:43 AM

The draft is a crap shoot, mock drafts, etc mean nothing other than leting someone have fun. It is like Madden on paper. You do not know if other GMS are going to go on a run of DBs or DL or OL.
With drafted players you never know what you are getting until after first year. Some players in college never do adject to the pro game. Add that to trouble signing players, etc.
Until Clements signs he doesn't get paid ANYTHING.
Bills will probably play chicken with Clements. Maybe a team will lose a CB and trade future pick with Bills (like Henry trade), maybe he will do a Galloway and try to hold out (not getting all of that money) until week 10. etc.

Bert102176
04-30-2006, 11:48 AM
reminds me of the TD era he never really worked on the OL either

joekurtz
04-30-2006, 12:01 PM
All right, call me an idiot if you like, but I don't watch any college ball & I did all of my following the draft on the 'net.
So, question:
Is it Ko Simpson as in oh, row & tow?
Or is it K O Simpson as in Knock Out?
Must say, I like the latter...

joekurtz
04-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Anyone?

The Natrix
04-30-2006, 12:51 PM
Can Ko Simpson slash and cut like OJ Simpson?

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Whitner and Simpson are strong against the run.
SImpson yes. Whitner.. not so much.

Kerr
04-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Another draft steal. Sporting News has him compared to Ed Reed, if it means anything.

Mr. Cynical
04-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Levy is an idiot, he's clearly taking BPA and ignoring needs.

I wouldn't say idiot but definitely in over his head. Very disappointing draft.

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 04:11 PM
SImpson yes. Whitner.. not so much.

"Whitner is a great tackler." NFLDraftCountdown.com

"Whitner is a great tackler who not only makes the tackle but can also hit really hard." NFLDraftForecast.com