anyone think this is an endorsement for the OL we have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

anyone think this is an endorsement for the OL we have?

Just wondering if the lack of oline picks is an endorsement for Reyes, Gibson, Giesinger, Preston, and McFarland?

maybe they feel like they have some good young players, so they didnt feel the need to force the picks?
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: anyone think this is an endorsement for the OL we have?

I dont think its an endorsement for the OL as much as I think that the defense was ranked 29th in the NFL last year, 31st versus the run and dead last in stopping teams in the Red Zone.

You can only work on so much during one draft.. Marv decided he can live with Gandy and Villarial for another year and made defense priority 1 (and 2, 3 and 4 so far)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Jersey1031
      • Feb 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      Marv decided he can live with Gandy and Villarial for another year and made defense priority 1 (and 2, 3 and 4 so far)
      And maybe pick 5 if Wright is still there...
      "I'm cold, yeah I get my BUFFALO BILL on!" Lil' Wayne

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Reyes and Fowler will improve the OL somewhat.

Gibson is a shot in the dark. I could see him being a complete bust, I could also see him being a contributor (maybe only for depth). I just don't know with him.

Geisinger has done nothing and Preston looked below average last year, so I don't know what the staff sees in them to make them so confident.

I think the line looks a little better than last year, but it still scares me because our line was supposed to be fine last year too and it was anything but.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Aug 2004

I dont think its an endorsement for the OL as much as I think that the defense was ranked 29th in the NFL last year, 31st versus the run and dead last in stopping teams in the Red Zone.

You can only work on so much during one draft.. Marv decided he can live with Gandy and Villarial for another year and made defense priority 1 (and 2, 3 and 4 so far)
          Once again, I think you are right on this Pat. I also think that, being "Old School", Marv chose to go with defense because of the old adage that "defense wins championships". Marv knows that a good defense will keep a bad offense in games, a bad defense can lose games for a good offense.

With the way that some of the offensive linemen have been falling in this draft, there are still some offensive linemen that we would have been happy to see the Bills draft much higher a couple of days ago that we still might be able to draft in the remaining rounds.

OP, the thing about Gibson is that he has always been considered a "boom-or-bust" guy depending on his conditioning. If he is in shape--and that has always been a HUGE IF--he's a first round talent with experience and, supposedly, he is in the best shape of his life. If that is true and he can maintain that conditioning, the Bills have an average or better starting RT with OG experience as a back-up in Gibson. No question it is an "iffy" proposition, but, if the coaches like his conditioning, they may feel that they don't need another expendable guy to push him because they have that in McFarland.

I agree with you about Geissinger having done nothing so far, but, like McFarland, he was considered a "project" when he was drafted--it was going to take those two guys 2-3 years to give the team anything to begin with--and he has changed position from tackle in college to guard and now center. Even though he hasn't done anything, they may feel that he has shown enough progress that they think he may finally be ready to contribute. I think both Geissinger and McFarland are both "on the hot seat" and will have to show that they can play this year, but they weren't expected to do anything in the first place until this year. I think it is interesting, in Geissinger's case, that Preston was drafted as a center, but has been thrown into the LG mix and Geissinger is now the # 2 guy at center. There are two ways that you can interpret that and one of them is that Geissinger is looking like a better center prospect than Preston at this point.
          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
            • May 2003

An endorsement or a theory of which unit was in worst shape? This team is o.k. at most of the offensive skill position, and while the offensive line is of great importance, obviously this regime felt as if the defense was in more critical need and based on the number of changes there, it is hard to disagree with the decision to get defensive so to speak.

Comment

• realdealryan
              realdealrex
              • Nov 2005

Yeah, the OL is just the lesser of two evils.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                • May 2003

I am guilty of not reading all the posts before posting. I agree with this 100%, expecially the thinking that that one can only do so much during one draft. Besides, we will have a slew of undrafted players to pick from and there will be more veterans cut in the enar future.

Our defense may be shaping out pretty nicely and we may actaully be preparing for more departure amongst this unit with the uncertainty of Clement's future and the aging Vincent who may be soon departed.

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Marv decided he can live with Gandy and Villarial for another year and made defense priority 1 (and 2, 3 and 4 so far)
                  And it will bite us hard this year. When Willis can't run, and JP or Nall or Butthead have no time to pass...

But hey, Marv knows what he's doing right...

Comment

• LABillsFan
                    • Aug 2002

Personally, I have never been a fan of starting or relying on a rookie OL man. Sure there is always 1 or 2 in each draft that are gems, but going against seasoned DL lineman with inexperience makes a long day for your offense. Even if a team drafts that special player there are 4 other players on the line that you can rely on. The Oline players on the Bills have a year under their belts. While not a dominant line they should be improved.

The D was sucking wind all year and could never get off the field. That side needed young fast players and now they have them.
                    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
                      And it will bite us hard this year. When Willis can't run, and JP or Nall or Butthead have no time to pass...

That may be true, but if we dont improve on a putrid defense, JP wont have to worry about throwing or willis about running.. Because they'll barely ever be in the field.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

That may be true, but if we dont improve on a putrid defense, JP wont have to worry about throwing or willis about running.. Because they'll barely ever be in the field.
                        Well since we are going 100% Defense then there should be no excuses right? We kept those that fit the system, drafted those that fit the system. We should be a top 5 Defense this year.

In the mean time they will set JP's development back further by not addressing LT when they had a chance. So we go LT next year...and lose a full year of development. I figure at this rate the new owner and his new staff will be reaping the fruits of this offseason.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by realdealryan
                          Yeah, the OL is just the lesser of two evils.
                          Which means we are in for a long season huh? At least our defense should be solid again and I don't know about the rest of you but I absolutley love good defense.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129

Ok and if he addressed the line with the GREAT Winston Justice and others as YOU had hoped, then when our defense is getting creamed all season you and others like you would then be complianing about how they didn't give enough attention to the defense.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Drive 4 Five
                              I don't know about the rest of you but I absolutley love good defense.
                              So do I.
                              Originally posted by notacon
                              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X