PDA

View Full Version : What could have been

FlyingDutchman
04-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I know everyone is sick of the negative crap here, and this will be the last of my whining. Ive just been thinking to myself what could have been. Its easy to look at a situation in retrospect but we could have had a hell of a draft. For starters, lets say we didnt do any trading of any picks. Now, had Marv gotten that 4th rounder from the Texans, look at the draft we could have had.

1 Bunkley
2 Justice or Mcneil (Mcneil did allow a sack in 40 games)
3 Youboty
3 Gilles
4 Bing
4 Simpson

Bunkley, Justice/Mcneil, Youboty, and Gilles are, or were considered 1st round picks at one time. Alright im done crying, just had to get that out.

Sportsuser101
04-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Yawn

LABillsFan
04-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Wht could have been with TD

RB
WR
RB
LB
LB

FlyingDutchman
04-30-2006, 11:51 AM
sorry to bore you, i forgot the actual bills draft is so thrilling.

Dozerdog
04-30-2006, 11:53 AM
I know everyone is sick of the negative crap here, and this will be the last of my whining. Ive just been thinking to myself what could have been. Its easy to look at a situation in retrospect but we could have had a hell of a draft. For starters, lets say we didnt do any trading of any picks. Now, had Marv gotten that 4th rounder from the Texans, look at the draft we could have had.

1 Bunkley
3 Youboty
3 Gilles
4 Bing
4 Simpson

Bunkley, Justice/Mcneil, Youboty, and Gilles are, or were considered 1st round picks at one time. Alright im done crying, just had to get that out.
Who plays DT? Sape? Anderson?

STAMPY
04-30-2006, 11:56 AM

:bf1:

G. Host
04-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Anderson - drafted by Donahoe

FlyingDutchman
04-30-2006, 11:57 AM

ummm...yes...what are you getting at? all im saying with this thread is we had a shot at the #1 DT in the draft, the #2 Olineman and one of the better guards in the draft (Gilles). Then, Youboty and Bing who are both considered top 5 at their position in the draft. I thought we needed to fill holes. This would have been a nice way to do it.

FlyingDutchman
05-01-2006, 08:08 AM

who plays tackle mcCargo? who needs the next corey simon, when you can have jon mcCargo. who needs the second best olineman in the draft (Justice or McNeil) when you can have Brad Butler from Virginia. Who needs the one of the top guards in the draft (gilles), when you can have Aaron Merz from freakin New Mexico (tough competition out there). Yeah, what am i thinking, we sure fixed our line problems...

kgun12
05-01-2006, 08:23 AM

1 Bunkley
3 Youboty
3 Gilles
4 Bing
4 Simpson

I have come to except the guys we drafted. I think they will for the most part pan out. HOWEVER I would have been MUCH happier with your draft!

I like Bunkley over McCargo
Juctice over all of our OL picks
Youboty push
Giles over all of our OL picks
Bing same a Whinter
Simpson push

Again our draft was our draft, but I would hope that most of us could agree that WillisMcNasty21 was every bit as good and in my opinion better than what we did! I also think his draft address more of our immediate needs! I guess time will tell?

JJamezz
05-01-2006, 09:01 AM

1 Bunkley
3 Youboty
3 Gilles
4 Bing
4 Simpson

I understand your point, but I don't know what you expect from the guys doing the drafting... Ms. Cleo is not on the payroll last I checked..

Outside of Bunkley, the argument can be made that EVERY other player you mention WASN'T even supposed to BE there where you say you'd have picked them... according to the 'experts' of course.

With the draft over, you could easily go through the other 30 teams (not counting the Pats of course... they can do no wrong...), and come up with picks that look better on paper.

Hindsight. 20-20.

kgun12
05-01-2006, 09:06 AM
I understand your point, but I don't know what you expect from the guys doing the drafting... Ms. Cleo is not on the payroll last I checked..

Outside of Bunkley, the argument can be made that EVERY other player you mention WASN'T even supposed to BE there where you say you'd have picked them... according to the 'experts' of course.

With the draft over, you could easily go through the other 30 teams (not counting the Pats of course... they can do no wrong...), and come up with picks that look better on paper.

Hindsight. 20-20.

You are correct JJ, but some of coaches and GM's around the league (the Giants and D. Green have a philosophy and that is let the draft come to you, not the other way around! Probably would have workout better!

carybillsfan
05-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Plain and simple, we were never going to take Bunkley. I saw him and McCargo play and I don't see a big difference between them, I think it's a wash, noe of the DT' in this draft really impressed me. I liked Marv's strategy though going after a safety first, a guy like Reed, Polamalu, and Roy Williams change the defense dynamic. Having some fat ass up front that doesn't even play every down is just a body to plug a hole and free up LB's. I'll take a ball hawking safety before any DT in the game. I would much rather take the guy I wanted even if it was a reach at 8, than trade down end up with someone else's garbage and second guess yourself later.

OpIv37
05-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Wht could have been with TD

RB
WR
RB
LB
LB

close-but one of the LB's would be a "motor" DE in a TD draft

FlyingDutchman
05-01-2006, 09:26 AM

Hindsight. 20-20.

agreed, thats why i said its easy to look at a situation after the fact. I agree with kgun, you let the draft come to you. I think Marv freaked out and didnt understand the value of our picks. Not that I dont like our picks, I just believe would could have gone about getting our needs entirely different.

jmb1099
05-01-2006, 09:35 AM
You are correct JJ, but some of coaches and GM's around the league (the Giants and D. Green have a philosophy and that is let the draft come to you, not the other way around! Probably would have workout better!
You used the appropriate word...probably, as in no way to know for sure. I was so excited when we drafted Mike Williams and what a bust. If we were to look at the entire draft as a whole and pick out all of those who were supposed to be great that turned into busts or just serviceable we'd be here a while. Its a crap shoot and its almost impossible not to buy into the hype with all the mocks and the video footage, but it really is nothing more than a glorified poker game. There will be some solid players who have been picked early and there will be those who just plain suck, and the reverse is true.

HHURRICANE
05-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Take Bunkley at #8, and the rest of the board falls into place. We fell in love with Whitner and we paid the price. Marv is basically saying that Whitner is a better player than Bunkley. I hope he's right because that was a big gamble for a first year GM. I'm okay with not taking OL's early (Justice) because they rarely pan out immediately but McCargo was a stretch even if the Giants were taking him.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-01-2006, 09:46 AM
I have come to except the guys we drafted. I think they will for the most part pan out. HOWEVER I would have been MUCH happier with your draft!

I like Bunkley over McCargo
Juctice over all of our OL picks
Youboty push
Giles over all of our OL picks
Bing same a Whinter
Simpson push

Again our draft was our draft, but I would hope that most of us could agree that WillisMcNasty21 was every bit as good and in my opinion better than what we did! I also think his draft address more of our immediate needs! I guess time will tell?

Bing is NOT the same as Whitner. Whitner ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day and is much more suited to the Cover 2 than Bing.

The Bills decided to address their defense in this draft and they decided going Whitner/McCargo was better for the team they are building and the system they are using than going Bunkley/Bullocks. Bullocks, not Bing, was the next best Cover 2 safety in this draft. Daniel Bullocks is not as good as his brother who played for New Orleans this past year--check out how he did as a rookie and decide for yourself if you would have prefered to have him and Bunkley or Whitner and McCargo. You may like Bunkley over McCargo, but McCargo was not going to be on the board if the Bills did not trade up to get him--the Giants were forced to settle for Barry Cofield as their replacement for K.Clancy after the Bills took McCargo, so don't think for a second that they weren't planning on taking him, when it was in the NYC papers and on radio and TV there that they were interested in him if they didn't take Carpenter (Anyone really think they were looking to take Kiwi in the first round when they have two really good pass-rushing DEs?).

Once the Bills decided to go with Whitner, they had to get McCargo. Otherwise they would have gotten stuck at DT. That meant no Justice or who ever else they may have taken with the third round pick they gave up.

Williams was as good as the Bills could do for a second DT--at least he played and played hard and well in a similar defensive front at LSU--and the Bills had to come out of this draft with two DTs.

I will give you that Jean-Gilles may be better than any of the offensive linemen that the Bills drafted--I would have been happy to see them take him, too. But, that's the only pick on your list that realistically could have been different.

Michael82
05-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Bing is NOT the same as Whitner. Whitner ran a 4.38 40 at his pro day and is much more suited to the Cover 2 than Bing.

The Bills decided to address their defense in this draft and they decided going Whitner/McCargo was better for the team they are building and the system they are using than going Bunkley/Bullocks. Bullocks, not Bing, was the next best Cover 2 safety in this draft. Daniel Bullocks is not as good as his brother who played for New Orleans this past year--check out how he did as a rookie and decide for yourself if you would have prefered to have him and Bunkley or Whitner and McCargo. You may like Bunkley over McCargo, but McCargo was not going to be on the board if the Bills did not trade up to get him--the Giants were forced to settle for Barry Cofield as their replacement for K.Clancy after the Bills took McCargo, so don't think for a second that they weren't planning on taking him, when it was in the NYC papers and on radio and TV there that they were interested in him if they didn't take Carpenter (Anyone really think they were looking to take Kiwi in the first round when they have two really good pass-rushing DEs?).

Once the Bills decided to go with Whitner, they had to get McCargo. Otherwise they would have gotten stuck at DT. That meant no Justice or who ever else they may have taken with the third round pick they gave up.

Williams was as good as the Bills could do for a second DT--at least he played and played hard and well in a similar defensive front at LSU--and the Bills had to come out of this draft with two DTs.

I will give you that Jean-Gilles may be better than any of the offensive linemen that the Bills drafted--I would have been happy to see them take him, too. But, that's the only pick on your list that realistically could have been different.
Another good post, man! It's refreshing to read your posts. It may take a little time, but it's worth it. :clap:

:posrep: