• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Media Columns From Around the League

The Homer Juice will be flowing, and every writer in America is a moron.. I know I know the routine.

Here are what some national writers are saying about the Bills right now. Read if you choose. Personally, I like the players we've taken, I just dont like the management way we went about getting them. I think that's the consensus pretty much everywhere.

Anyway.. Damn we're getting dissed.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...ic.php?t=87788
    From Sporting News Writer Paul Attner
    Marv Levy's off to a bad start as a personnel guru
    April 29, 2006
    Marv Levy's return to the NFL, this time as the Bills' personnel guru, got off to a very bad start today. Levy wound up with two first-round choices and neither one was very distinguished. Other NFL teams can only wonder, how could he?
    First, he selected Donte Whitner, the Ohio State safety, with the eighth pick in the draft. One team had him ranked in the third round; he certainly was not considered a top-10 player, nor a first-rounder.
    Then, the Bills gave up two choices to take John McCargo, a defensive tackle from N.C. State who was rated no better than a third-rounder at best.
    The Bills filled needs with both players. But it is a classic example of what leads to a bad draft, stretching for players whose talent doesn't merit where they are chosen.
    (check out the Fan comments on this article, pretty derogatory towards Marv)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5555304
    Worst picks in Round 1
    Buffalo: I'll save the best stuff for tomorrow, but the Bills are simply lost. Donte Whitner at No. 8? I almost fainted on the air. And I'm not anti-Whitner; it is the simple fact that the Bills could've selected him later in the draft. There wasn't another team that had him in the top 10, let alone the top eight. I asked Marv Levy about this on the air. He said I could be right, but he didn't want to make a trade with the Eagles, fearing he could lose Whitner at 14. There's no way he would've been off the board. The Bills are lost.
    And I like John McCargo, but why trade up to get the N.C. State defensive tackle. He could've been there at 42.
    The horrific off-season rolls along for the Bills.

Fox Spots Michael Smith on the Bills.
    Get NFL news, scores, stats, standings & more for your favorite teams and players -- plus watch highlights and live games! All on FoxSports.com.

WORST PICK
    Buffalo Bills:
    Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State. Whitner got away with mediocre run support in college because he played behind two first-round Buckeye linebackers, A.J. Hawk and Bobby Carpenter. The Bills can't afford to have stopping the run be part of Whitner's on-the-job training. And if Bills general manager Marv Levy liked Whitner so much, he probably could have traded down with some team that wanted to move up to draft Leinart and still landed Whitner later in the first round.

SI's Don Banks
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....losers/1.html
    BUFFALO

Ohio State safety Donte Whitner at No. 8? They could have traded down 10 spots and still landed him. N.C. State defensive tackle John McCargo at No. 26? The vast majority of drafniks didn't even have him higher than the middle of the second round.
    And maybe it was a year too early to give up on 2004 first-round quarterback J.P. Losman, but if the Bills do exactly that next year at this time, won't they look back and wish they had taken Leinart at No. 8 when they had the chance?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • BambinoSux
    Don't Throw It My Way
    • Aug 2002

Re: Media Columns From Around the League

I have a hard time reading these guys who even consider us passing on Leinart a mistake. It goes to show that they clearly don't know a thing about this team. We have Losman, Holcomb, and Nall all under contract and a team full of holes. QB is the last thing we should have taken in the 1st round.
    I don't believe in no damn curses.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

I dont disagree, but only the last columnist suggested we wil regret not taking Leinart.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

The worse is yet to come unless wys already slit his wrist.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          The worse is yet to come unless wys already slit his wrist.
          LOL isnt he the one who writes for that afceastreport.com?

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
            LOL isnt he the one who writes for that afceastreport.com?
            Wys is a friend of mine but I can NEVER read his articles. He loses me at hello.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Cntrygal
              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BambinoSux
              I have a hard time reading these guys who even consider us passing on Leinart a mistake. It goes to show that they clearly don't know a thing about this team. We have Losman, Holcomb, and Nall all under contract and a team full of holes. QB is the last thing we should have taken in the 1st round.

Agreed.
              Originally posted by notacon
              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Cntrygal
                • Jul 2002

Wys is a friend of mine but I can NEVER read his articles. He loses me at hello.
                He says hello?
                The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Dec 2005

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5555304
                  Worst picks in Round 1
                  Buffalo: I'll save the best stuff for tomorrow, but the Bills are simply lost. Donte Whitner at No. 8? I almost fainted on the air. And I'm not anti-Whitner; it is the simple fact that the Bills could've selected him later in the draft. There wasn't another team that had him in the top 10, let alone the top eight. I asked Marv Levy about this on the air. He said I could be right, but he didn't want to make a trade with the Eagles, fearing he could lose Whitner at 14. There's no way he would've been off the board. The Bills are lost.
                  And I like John McCargo, but why trade up to get the N.C. State defensive tackle. He could've been there at 42.
                  The horrific off-season rolls along for the Bills.
                  That one pretty much sums it up for me.

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Aug 2004

He's no friend of mine, but I can't read his stuff either.

Like some other people here, he strikes me as being angry that he is not the GM of the Bills, but isn't willing to try to apply for the job....
                    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Sportsuser101
                      • Feb 2005

Not sure about any of you but I don't pay attention to the media when it comes to this type of stuff. They've been wrong on way too many players for me to trust their judgements.
                      Dareus - 1st Round Pick

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by bwbrenton
                        That one pretty much sums it up for me.
                        I dont think this off-season has been "horrific" but its definitely been strange.

Either Marv really is a genius with all these young FA signings and "reach" draft picks, which very well could be.

Or he's absolutely clueless on how to run a football team, which also very well could be.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
                          Not sure about any of you but I don't pay attention to the media when it comes to this type of stuff. They've been wrong on way too many players for me to trust their judgements.
                          Yep! I don't watch too many of the shows anymore (I don't even care for the pregame shows). It's all about entertainment and popularity. It drives me insane.

Comment

• TedMock
                            • Jul 2002

For what it's worth, the media is wrong more than it's right. I watched a special a few years ago, and they interviewed several sports writers about game predictions, draft predictions, championships, etc. Every single one of them had a real bad losing record. They all laughed, and admitted that they don't know anymore than the mailman does, but they have to give their picks and opinions. So, let's see in a few years where this draft rates. Don't panic just yet. I'd rather us draft football players than big-names anyday. A guy who is both would be ideal. However, this draft seems to lack overall talent compared to others, and a lot of the "names" seem to have work ethic, and/or character issues going on. Maybe hard-nosed, football players, who don't get in trouble, and aren't lazy, are the way to go. If they pan out, the fans in Buffalo will love them much more than some unreached potential, trouble maker.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                              • May 2003

I dont think this off-season has been "horrific" but its definitely been strange.

Either Marv really is a genius with all these young FA signings and "reach" draft picks, which very well could be.

Or he's absolutely clueless on how to run a football team, which also very well could be.
                              If I had to bet money I would bet that he knows much more about what it takes to be successful in this league than any of the writers who critique him. I will not go as far as to declare that this team will finally win a championship becuase Levy is here but I do beleive that he will help bring this program back to respectability. Whether or not "Sports Nation" is on board means absolutley nothing to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X