PDA

View Full Version : PFW article on Bills drafting Whitner

Kerr
04-30-2006, 02:11 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Day/2006/holbrook2.htm

Iehoshua
04-30-2006, 02:19 PM
The writer must be a Bills homer since he suggested the pick wasn't a disaster...

/sarcasm

Night Train
04-30-2006, 02:22 PM
He obviously didn't clear his opinion with St. Mort.

JJamezz
04-30-2006, 02:27 PM
Its almost hard to believe how VISIBLY angry Mort would get, every time talk turned to the Bills... I swear, Mort is more upset at TD's getting s**t-canned, than TD is. Its really bizarre...

LifetimeBillsFan
04-30-2006, 02:30 PM
"The Bills were reportedly attempting to trade down, in an attempt to acquire more draft picks and still get their man in Whitner. But word came in late that Whitner might go earlier than expected, and they decided to take the OSU standout after using up all 15 minutes of the time allotted to make their pick....

....The fact that several other teams were clamoring for Whitner illustrates that the Bills were on the right path in taking him."

I hope this puts to rest the "we could have traded down and still gotten Whitner because nobody else was going to take him" talk. Apparently they heard that there were teams that might take him before they could get him if they traded down and they were not willing to go with what they figured the alternative would be if they missed out on him.

I've been saying that their decision came down to Bunkley/Bullucks-J.Williams or Whitner/McCargo and they decided that they liked Whitner/McCargo a lot better. Given how Bullucks compared to his brother in most scouting reports that I saw and how his brother played for New Orleans this past season, I can understand their reluctance to go in that direction if they think safety is a key to their defense.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Its almost hard to believe how VISIBLY angry Mort would get, every time talk turned to the Bills... I swear, Mort is more upset at TD's getting s**t-canned, than TD is. Its really bizarre...

It does seem that way, doesn't it.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 02:34 PM
I would have never guessed before this draft we could have had Bunkley in round one and JIMMY williams in round two..

Great talent, **** character. I'll take Whitner and McCargo .

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Nevermind that's inaccurate.. Williams went before pick 42 in round two. Coulda had Bullocks but not Williams.

!Papacrunk!
04-30-2006, 02:49 PM
"The Bills were reportedly attempting to trade down, in an attempt to acquire more draft picks and still get their man in Whitner. But word came in late that Whitner might go earlier than expected, and they decided to take the OSU standout after using up all 15 minutes of the time allotted to make their pick....

Well we had gotten word that a lot of peeps wanted Vernon Carey, so we went the opposite direction, we bit, so we gave MN a 4th rounder to move up one spot--Mike Tice admitted that they were bluffing when they were talking up Carey. So never believe what you hear sometimes.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 03:00 PM

....The fact that several other teams were clamoring for Whitner illustrates that the Bills were on the right path in taking him."

I hope this puts to rest the "we could have traded down and still gotten Whitner because nobody else was going to take him" talk. Apparently they heard that there were teams that might take him before they could get him if they traded down and they were not willing to go with what they figured the alternative would be if they missed out on him.

I've been saying that their decision came down to Bunkley/Bullucks-J.Williams or Whitner/McCargo and they decided that they liked Whitner/McCargo a lot better. Given how Bullucks compared to his brother in most scouting reports that I saw and how his brother played for New Orleans this past season, I can understand their reluctance to go in that direction if they think safety is a key to their defense.

They didn't have to 'attempt' to trade down teams were calling them. I am saying right now it is pure CRAP to say we couldn't have moved down to 11 and still got Whitner. We could have.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 03:04 PM
They didn't have to 'attempt' to trade down teams were calling them. I am saying right now it is pure CRAP to say we couldn't have moved down to 11 and still got Whitner. We could have.

Detroit said they were taking Holmes (Ernie).. Of course, they are going to say that after the fact. They were DEFINITELY taking Huff if he's on the board.. So there is a chance they got Whitner if he's on the board.. Not likely, we'll never know for sure unless Millen admits it, but def possible.

As far as McCargo, its now coming out that if we didnt take him at 26 he was gone to the Giants at 32 .

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Detroit said they were taking Holmes (Ernie).. Of course, they are going to say that after the fact. They were DEFINITELY taking Huff if he's on the board.. So there is a chance they got Whitner if he's on the board.. Not likely, we'll never know for sure unless Millen admits it, but def possible.

As far as McCargo, its now coming out that if we didnt take him at 26 he was gone to the Giants at 32 .

Link on that fact please.

TigerJ
04-30-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm generally of the opinion that teams should let the draft come to them, and not target players to the point where they feel the need to reach. I think Buffalo gave into the temptation to reach. That said, I'm not going to do any complaining now. I'll see how it plays out. McCargo and Whitner may turn out to be terrific players. If so, megakudos to Levy and the Bills scouting staff. If not, Levy will likely pay with his job in a couple years when the team fails to get turned around.

G. Host
04-30-2006, 03:20 PM

They didn't have to 'attempt' to trade down teams were calling them. I am saying right now it is pure CRAP to say we couldn't have moved down to 11 and still got Whitner. We could have
Link to FACT (and only fact which will be proof will be draft boards of all teams) that no one was going to either take Whiner or move up to take Whitner if Bills swapped positions AND that the swap was a definitely ON THE TABLE when Bills had to pick.

You can't. It is pure specrapulation! Didn't you have an operation to get rid of that problem? I'd sue for malpractice.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 03:23 PM

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=444713

a few highlights
>> On whether he was concerned that someone was going to leapfrog ahead of them to take Sims
MM: "No, because we were still okay with what was on the board. If somebody had taken Sims, we would have been okay there also."

>> On whether it was a question of team not offering enough to trade out of the ninth pick
MM: "No, it was a question of: we got the guy we want. Teams had been calling, so you listen to everything. Then, at one point you just say: ‘you know what, this is the right player.’ So that’s what we did."

>> On the unexpected nature of the NFL Draft
RM: Maybe Whitner. You know, we liked him. We think he is a very, very good football player. He’s a heck of a player, heck of a performer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

You wanna RE-READ that last Millen quote again about Whitner?? Sure as hell sounds to me like he was VERY high on Whitner.. Nobody brought up Whitner's name durin the Press Conference, HE BROUGHT IT UP.. Leads me to think he may have taken him at nine, no?

Is that good enough, Ice?

G. Host
04-30-2006, 03:30 PM
If Bills traded with someone who took Sims they might have.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 03:33 PM
The bottom line is that Millen was VERY much interested in Whitner and there as a chance they would have taken him at nine.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 04:15 PM
I am just BAFFLED at how someone coudnt want a player for the cover two that reminds many of Mike Doss or Sanders.

On top of that , we have PROVEN success drafting OSU secondary players..

I'm baffled.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Link to FACT (and only fact which will be proof will be draft boards of all teams) that no one was going to either take Whiner or move up to take Whitner if Bills swapped positions AND that the swap was a definitely ON THE TABLE when Bills had to pick.

You can't. It is pure specrapulation! Didn't you have an operation to get rid of that problem? I'd sue for malpractice.

Its been published that teams tried to move up. Look it up

G. Host
04-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Its been published that teams tried to move up. Look it up
Tried to move up is not the same thing.
Post a link showing a team tried to move up when the Bills had the pick AND ability to conatct the source. That is what you are saying.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 04:24 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=444713

a few highlights
>> On whether he was concerned that someone was going to leapfrog ahead of them to take Sims
MM: "No, because we were still okay with what was on the board. If somebody had taken Sims, we would have been okay there also."

>> On whether it was a question of team not offering enough to trade out of the ninth pick
MM: "No, it was a question of: we got the guy we want. Teams had been calling, so you listen to everything. Then, at one point you just say: ‘you know what, this is the right player.’ So that’s what we did."

>> On the unexpected nature of the NFL Draft
RM: Maybe Whitner. You know, we liked him. We think he is a very, very good football player. He’s a heck of a player, heck of a performer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

You wanna RE-READ that last Millen quote again about Whitner?? Sure as hell sounds to me like he was VERY high on Whitner.. Nobody brought up Whitner's name durin the Press Conference, HE BROUGHT IT UP.. Leads me to think he may have taken him at nine, no?

Is that good enough, Ice?

He sounds interested I didn't read anywhere that they were definately taking Whitner.