PDA

View Full Version : I have to Admit this is pretty impressive.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Nobody will ever accuse me of being a homer here (thats for sure) but for the most part I think I am very happy with the way this draft went for the Bills.

* I love the Whitner pick, would have been nice to trade down and still get him and pick up another guy, but regardless, I'll think he'll be the same type of player for our defense that Doss and Sanders have become in Indy. Gutsy move, and in time you'll see, it's a good pick.

* I like McCargo, but thought it was too much a reach.. until I found out and actually from people in the know that the Giants were looking to trade down to end of first, pick up an extra pick and draft McCargo at the bottom of round one. IF he's as good as we think he'll be.. marv didn't "reach." he "stole" them from the Giants. If you dont think he was the third best DT on the board of most teams know that the next DT went 32 picks after him.

* I absolutely LOVE to death the pick of Youboty, a lot had him in the last-first to SEattle and almost everyone else had him in the second. He can come in as a rookie with no pressure and learn the NFL IF he develops to the point he can be a starter which many including myself think he can be, then we can say goodbye to nate the "not so great" and his $7-8 million per year contract in 2007 and use that money to buy a dominant LT, who trumps a franchise CB any day of the week.

* the ONLY pick I dont like is Ko Simpson, and not because I dont think he'll be a good player. I just think with Whitner we had enough capable safeties and this pick could have been used at a better position. Surprisingly, it's not the OL either. I wish we would have drafted Victor Adeyanju, the DE from Indiana who went to the Rams 8 picks later... Fewel's Bears defense thrived with plenty of depth and rotation among the front four. Four DE's got a lot of playing time in his CHicago defense. AT the least I think Vic would have been an upgrade over Denney (who after four years has proved he's a mediocre rotational player) and best case he could deveop into a starter to replace or compete with Kelsay in 2007.

However, Simpson has a lot of talent and if he does pan out, Simpson and Whitner can be a very good future safety tandem. So even though I dont like the pick, I like the talent they got with the pick.

The other picks are late round picks that shouldn't expect to amount too very much. I definitely like the Kyle Wililams pick in round five, he should be the 4th DT in the rotation ahead of Sape or Jefferson or whomever else.

So all in all I actually thought this was a pretty damn good draft for the Bills. I"m pleasantly surprised at the Balls of Levy to make a couple of these picks. He went defense, defense and more defense and drafted guys many considered a "reach."

justasportsfan
04-30-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't care if they are reaches as long as these reaches result in a cohessive unit that can win games and not blow 4th qtr. 21 pt leads.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 02:29 PM
IF they get better at stopping the run (that means TKO needs to be back and playing well again) this defense will get a hell of a lot better.

Michael82
04-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Wow! I can't believe i'm saying this....but Good post, pat! :bf1:

I started out hating this draft yesterday, but the more and more I look at it and hear about other teams loving the guys we took, I really think that we may have missed out if we traded down.

Kerr
04-30-2006, 04:26 PM
It's bittersweet for me in the 4th. I wish they could have drafted Adenyeju, but I love the simpson pick. It was pretty much two consecutive steals in a row.

Bert102176
04-30-2006, 05:08 PM
I liked who we drafted on day 1 just not where they were takin, day 2 just stunk in rounds 5 through 7

Saratoga Slim
04-30-2006, 05:17 PM
good post pat. I agree that the Ko Simpson pick was a surprise, and I definately would have liked to have seen an OL in the 4th. But nfldraftalmanac.com's description of Simpson has been ringing through my head all day: "Heat-seeking missile." And they said he reminds them of Ed Reed. In the 4th round, he was too good to pass up.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 05:18 PM
good post pat. I agree that the Ko Simpson pick was a surprise, and I definately would have liked to have seen an OL in the 4th. But nfldraftalmanac.com's description of Simpson has been ringing through my head all day: "Heat-seeking missile." And they said he reminds them of Ed Reed. In the 4th round, he was too good to pass up.

I had Simpson going in the second, I seen several MOCKS that had him going in the early part of the second.. And a lot of people said that if he would have returned to school next year he would have been a mid-first rounder.

G. Host
04-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I had Simpson going in the second, I seen several MOCKS that had him going in the early part of the second.. And a lot of people said that if he would have returned to school next year he would have been a mid-first rounder.

So you are sayinf he is 'not intellegent' since he passed those draft gurus predictions who KNEW what draft would be next year? All that money he passed up getting out early! Hopefully he will make it up by getting to free agency earlier! :D

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 05:53 PM
No.

I am saying that Marv was thinking why not take this guy in the 4th who has slipped through the cracks of this year draft.

Because if he had come out next year he'd probably be a first-rounder so in essence Marv feels like he drafted a first round talent next year in the fourth round, this year

G. Host
04-30-2006, 06:03 PM
I know that Pat. That is what the :D was for.