PDA

View Full Version : My proposal for Peerless Price

PA Season Ticket Holder
02-09-2003, 08:47 PM
A win/win situation for both us and Peerless. Peerless is only 26 years old. He has a good 5-8 years left in his prime. We don't need Peerless for 4+ years. We have about a 3 year run and then we need to decide on what we are gonna do for our future years.

Sign Price for 3yr-6 million, with a 5 million dollar bonus. He can be on the Bills during our run, and then in 3 years he can make a decision on where the team is heading, and if he wants to stay.

Structure it in this way

1st year- 1.5 million dollar salary- 3.17 million cap figure

2nd year- 1.5 million dollar salary- 3.17 million cap figure

3rd year- 3 million dollar salary- 4.67 million cap figure

After the 2nd year we can see how things are going, and both parties can decide on whether to extend a contract, play out the final year, or release/trade him. The 2 years will give Reed a chance to grow as a WR, and to see where our team is heading. After 2 years we'll have to decide on whether we want to kick in the 2nd part of Drew's contract which is HUGE. He'll have many options then, and it won't keep him stuck on a team that is going downhill. He'll make 6 million this year, and guranteed money of 8 million over 2 years. He'll only be 28-29 when we either extend him or part ways, and he can still get a huge contract to finish out his career.

He won't hamper our future cap if things don't work out. We need him at this point, and we could have him for the 2-3 years that we'll make our biggest run for a ring. He'll be able to sign another big contract, and the possibly of playing for another team while he's still in his prime. He can stay with us where he wants to be right now, and still be rewarded without hurting either of us in the pocket situation.

We can afford Price for 3.17 million for the next 2 years. That won't hurt our cap one bit. We'll still have plenty of money to sign players on defense. We'd have to get another replacement anyway, and that would cost us a good 1.5 million a year. I think Price is worth the extra 1.5 million a year. He's never injured, and he is a great compliment to Moulds. We need him more then some people think we do

justasportsfan
02-09-2003, 08:54 PM
I think he's looking for more $. He's arguably the no. 1 FA WR and other teams need a WR that can stretch the field. In three years time he may not be in demand like he is right now. The only thing that will make him stay is, if he is interested in a ring more than $$$. Besides, Atlanta needs him, they should be contenders next year and they have the cap to get him. He's also from Atlanta.

I'd love to keep him but based on his comments about not making probowl, I think he's gone.

Mr. Miyagi
02-09-2003, 09:00 PM
If he's all about the money, don't let the door hit you on your way out. Miyagi say Sayonara.

Tatonka
02-09-2003, 10:22 PM
no way he accepts a figure that low.. yeah.. i can see that pop up on the espn 2 ticker...

Peerless Price resigns with the Buffalo Bills.. for 6 million dollars over 3 years. rofl.. he would rather die that do that. no way he signs for anything under 20 million.

PA Season Ticket Holder
02-09-2003, 10:34 PM
8 million for 2 years a low figure? He'd only be 28-29 and he could get a huge contract then and end up with more money. It all depends on if he thinks he's good enough to get a huge contract a couple years from now. If he doesn't then he'd take as much money as he can right now.

I would hope nobody pays him more then 4 million a year. They can have him if they want to. He could play here for 8 million over 2 years, or sign for a 5-6 year deal with another team for about a 8-9 million dollar bonus. After them 3 years he wouldn't make much more then 11 million over 3 years.

He'd get a 8-9 million dollar bonus. Probably the lowest salary which is probably around 600-750k. He'd make about 12 or 13 instead of 11 million over a 3 year span, and then he'd be cut or his deal would be re-done before the high salaries kicked in.

8 million dollars of guranteed money over 2 years doesn't sound too shabby to me. Then he could get another deal from sombody else and probably end up making more over the long haul. It all depends if 1-2 million is more important then staying with us for a few years.

PA Season Ticket Holder
02-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Moulds will make about 15 million over the first 3 years of his contract. He's worth more then Price is. 4 million a year is in the Top 10 WR range.

Does 3yr-6 million sound too low for you? Fine, we'll give him a 20 million dollar inflated contract so the numbers sound better. We'll give him 6 yr-18million dollars, and a 9 million dollar bonus. And that's being generous.

Lets say we plan on keeping him for 4 years. He'd get 1.5 million a year in bonus money.

He'd see about 7 of that 18 million of salary over the first 4 years, and about 11 the last 2. That's the way they always fall out. If we cut him after 4 years he'd see about 15-16 million dollars of that money. Give him 11-13 over 3 years in this plan and it works out to about 2 million he'd lose over 3-4 years. If you have to, give him a few incentives where he can average that same amount.

No matter which way you slice it, he's not gonna get much more money the other way around. It depends on if 2 million dollars is worth him leaving or not.

He could make more money in the long run signing a short term deal with us, and then getting another contract when he's 28-29 years old.

SoCalBillsFan
02-09-2003, 10:59 PM
From a player's standpoint, 8 millionover 2 years is not that much when you could sign a contract for at least 20 Mil of guarunteed money. If Atl will pay him 5 mil a year for 5 years and a bonus, he would be in much better financial shape.

Tatonka
02-09-2003, 11:22 PM
unfortunately, there are DEFINATELY teams that will pay him 5 mill or more per season!.. i know it doesnt seem like he is worth it.. but imagine if we didnt have moulds.. or better yet.. to some teams.. they look at peerless like we see moulds.. so there are definately teams out there that want him that bad.. and he would scoff at that offer.. no doubt in my mind.

Shiny Chicken
02-10-2003, 12:13 AM
why did this thread disappear momentarily to an un-accessible location... that was weird?

Ð
02-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Price Shmice. Let someone else sign him & get this crap over with.

Halbert
02-10-2003, 05:56 AM
:hammeru:

ublinkwescore
02-10-2003, 07:24 AM
I'd say bye bye Riemersma (hello 3.5 million more in cap room), glad to still have you aboard for 2-3 more years mr. Price, and hello new defensive personell that will not require our offense to play the perfect game all the time in order for us to win.

Voltron
02-10-2003, 09:36 AM
As a football player you can't plan for 3 years down the road. That career ending injury could be right around the corner. You always have to take more. Not because you are greedy but because you have a small window to play in. If you get hurt you best have a backup plan. The more money you have the better the backup plan.

kgun12
02-10-2003, 12:12 PM
PA In a Bills perfect world your idea sounds great. In a Price perfect world that is a major slap in the face. His agent has said that PP will get #1 WR money and PP has said he wants to be paid what "I'm worth" money. Add those 2 comments together you have about 4-5 million.

THATHURMANATOR
02-10-2003, 02:33 PM
That would be great PA but there is no way he would ever sign for such a small contract. Right now he is wanting 4+ mil a year and I think he will have some offers in that range from teams like ATL that need receiver help.

PA Season Ticket Holder
02-10-2003, 09:03 PM
He would be averaging 4 million dollars a year for basically a 2 year contract. It's not like the offer is for a million a year.

It would be a short term contract. We don't need Price for 4+ years. We need him for 2-3 years. The contract sounds small because it's a short contract, and it's not inflated with backloaded salaries that the player won't even see anyway.

If Price went out and signed a 5yr-17 million dollar deal, with an 8 million dollar bonus, he would see 3-4 years of that contract, and I gurantee you he wouldn't be averaging more than 4.5 million dollars a year from it. The last 2 years will be about 9-11 million of his salary that he won't ever see.

A 5 year contract in football is basically a 3-4 year contract anymore. If we gave him 11-13 million over 3 years, it would basically be about the same amount he's gonna see from a long term contract that he'll never see. I don't understand how everyone calls this deal small at 4 million a year, but then come out and say he's gonna want 4-5 million a year. If we had to let him loose he wouldn't leave us with a huge cap figure since it's a shorter contract.

Long term contracts that pay players more then what they're worth later on down the road is a huge factor in salary cap jail. This wouldn't strap our cap for future years, and Price would be making the same amount he's gonna end up seeing from a 5 year contract.

We need Price more now then we will a few years from now, but we'll also be doing something with Moulds a few years from now. He's 30 years old, and has 4 years left on his contract with huge salary cap figures the last 2 years. He'll never see that money in the last 2 years of his contract. We'll be cutting him or extending his contract within 3 years. If he's not the same player then or things don't work out, we would still have Price at a young 29 years old. Not everyone is Jerry Rice. Most WR's hold up till the ages of 32-34 before they signifacantly lose some of their skills. Moulds will be cut or extended within 3 years at the most.

If Price feels he's not ready to leave Buffalo, but don't want to be strapped there for the long term in case things don't work out, then this is the perfect deal. He has the leverage 3 years from now instead of the team having the leverage in his contract situation. He's a free man after 3 years with no strings attached. He will average between 4 and 4.5 million. That is right in his value range.

If I was a player in his shoes at 26 and wasn't sure if I wanted to leave Buffalo at the time, then a 3 year deal making as much as you're gonna anyway from a long term contract would be in my best interest. Even give him an escape clause by production after the 2nd year.

So you say "What if he gets hurt, he won't take that chance" If he had a major injury after 2 or 3 years the team will cut him anyway, thus leaving him without any of his salary. He'll keep his 8 or 9 million dollar bonus, but he'll only see 3 or 4 million of his salary money anyway. He'd still be making the same amount.

No matter which way you slice it he's gonna see the same amount of money, and then he can determine what happens with him in 2-3 years instead of the team deciding on what they want to do with him. He could even make more money by getting a better contract 2 years from now. If he still wasn't at that level after 3 years, then his team would cut him anyway. He'd still be making about 12 million dollars over 3 years. And this won't hurt out cap if it doesn't work out. We could have the flexibility of deciding between Moulds, Price, and Reed 2-3 years from now when they're contracts will be coming up.

kgun12
02-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Moulds Reed and ______ add another name here. Name which team had better recievers the year they won the Super Bpowl
A. Tampa Bay
B. New England.
C. Baltimore
D. None of the above.

Answer D. is correct. We need to BUY defensive help. Good solid defensive help. DT, LB's 2 of them, DE, and another CB. That's where we spend our money. I'm I saying I wouldn't want PP. back NO. We would all like to see him back next year, but not at PP asking price or anywhere near it! Hell we don't even know if last year was a one year wonder year, or he was playing for the big contract. He has a questionable attitude, who's to say he gets the BIG money and turns into a problem child. Who's to say he won't. The point is, we have too many other needs to put 1/12th of the cap into 2 WR's (EM & PP). Build the Defennse like the none we have seen before and lets win a SUPER BOWL!

chubluv
02-10-2003, 11:24 PM
I agree with kgun what good did all the offensive fire power oakland and st louis do them the last two years in the super bowl. we should spend our money on defense and a lower tier WR and see wher that takes us....

hopefuly to the big game once again

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!

SoCalBillsFan
02-11-2003, 03:11 AM
PA, if a player signs a contract for guarunteed money he still receives it even if he gets cut right?

The_Philster
02-11-2003, 04:51 AM
The only part of an NFL contract that is guaranteed is the signing bonus.

Captain gameboy
02-11-2003, 05:33 AM
Price will never be worth more than he is right now, and he knows it. He's gone.