PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on other teams in AFCE's draft?

Bling
04-30-2006, 04:17 PM
I thought the Patriots, yet again, had one of the best drafts. I think Miami picked up a couple of great players for only 5 draft picks (Hagans, Allen, Wright). The Jets soldified their team with picks like Feurgeson, Washington, Mangold.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Jets had one of the best drafts period and NE just restocked talent to stay tough.

Bling
04-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Agreed.

patmoran2006
04-30-2006, 04:26 PM
I think all four teams in the AFC East, at least on paper had an excellent draft.

NEW ENGLAND: They got a future replacement for Corey Dillion in Laurence Maroney, and in the process probably took him out from under the Colts feet.. Dillon looks to be slowing down big-time so this is a great pick, though I'm shocked they didnt take DeAngelo Williams. They also got a RIDICULOUS gift that fell into their laps when Chad Jackson fell to them in round two. NOt sure about the TE's they took and what sense that made, but landing Ryan O'Callaghan in round five was a total steal.

Miami: Got a lot of players with great upside and potential, but also with question marks. Jason Allen is said to be as physically talented as any safety in this entire draft, but he also is coming off a dislocated hip. Derek Hagan is a great physical receiever but needs to learn how to catch the ball. JOe Toledo was a great pickup in round four, and Rodrique Wright was a first-day talent who for some reason fell to the 7th.

Jets: Their first two picks alone made this a great draft for them. They built a potential Seattle-like line with Brick and Mangold. IF both guys play up to their hype that's a pair of Pro Bowlers for YEARS to come.. they also got Leon Washington under the radar in round four, could be a good steal for them. Obviously they liked QB Kellen Clemens to draft him in the second round, BEFORE Brodie Croyle.

BIlls: I've already analyzed this a million times.. But the most important thing is they switched to a cover two and with McCargo and Whitner (and maybe Youboty sooner than later) they got some good components to run it the right way. They'll still have a lot of question marks about the front four, but the secondary undisputably just got a hell of a lot better. If he turns out to be good, Ko Simpson and Whitner could be a Colts/STeelers style tandem for a long time.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 04:39 PM
BIlls: I've already analyzed this a million times.. But the most important thing is they switched to a cover two and with McCargo and Whitner (and maybe Youboty sooner than later) they got some good components to run it the right way. They'll still have a lot of question marks about the front four, but the secondary undisputably just got a hell of a lot better. If he turns out to be good, Ko Simpson and Whitner could be a Colts/STeelers style tandem for a long time.

That is HUGE speculation. We reached for players because marv was scared they wouldn't be there. The Lions wern't taking Whitner even though Millen said he liked him. Sorry, no.

No one can prove FACTUALLY that NYG were going to take McCargo, so we can stop that speculation as well. And even if they did, there were other DT's to be had that could come in and play cover 2 D. Bunkley was the guy that came to mind at oh...#8.

We failed to upgrade and solidify LT which was a clear cut need, instead marv is going to hope the below average Gandy can handle the job. Again, make sure Royal is over there, Gandy will need the help. I think Reyes is an upgrade over Anderson but that is like saying Mike Williams is an upgrade over a local High school kid. That isn't hard to upgrade over Anderson if you get my drift.

What gets me is we could have taken Bunkley, Justice and Still got the DB's etc in rounds 3-7 that we got and STILL it would be an upgraded secondary.

I feel we might have had an ok draft IF the first two guys pan out. That is a BIG if so far. Not much film on McCargo for various reasons. Whitner has knocks on him as well. I have no issue saying we are running this Defense or offense and putting players in it that fit the system. I just feel a guy like Bunkley fit the system and wouldn't have cost us another 3rd rounder that could have helped this team.

I feel our DT's are still undersized considering the talent level. There isn't a tommie harris or A McFarland on this team, and I don't see McCargo being the skill of either at this time. Chicago was great at DT because of WHO was there, not their size.

But here is the reality... no one knows and we won't know until september. I will say this and be on it ALL YEAR LONG... NO EXCUSES. NONE! This Defense better be a top 5 since we spent so much on it. We have the system, the coaches for the system and now the players that have been kept/ Picked specifically for that system. ZERO excuses.

Bert102176
04-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Jets had a great draft, the Patriots as always did really well, and well even the the fins Blo they had a decent draft for the amout of picks they had

casdhf
04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I think the Bills taking whitner really messed up the Dolphins... leading them to take Allen about 10 picks too soon, just like we did with Whitner.

dplus47
04-30-2006, 09:14 PM
I think the Bills taking whitner really messed up the Dolphins... leading them to take Allen about 10 picks too soon, just like we did with Whitner.

honestly--i'm not saying this cuz i'm a phins fan, because i'm also a buckeyes fan and LOVE whitner as a player--saban recruited allen out of high school and likely would have picked him over whitner, injury questions and all. i might have been a little bummed had this actually happened, but saban loves those SEC guys.

whitner is going to be a fan favorite in buffalo if you all can get over where he was drafted.

ublinkwescore
04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
That is HUGE speculation. We reached for players because marv was scared they wouldn't be there. The Lions wern't taking Whitner even though Millen said he liked him. Sorry, no.

No one can prove FACTUALLY that NYG were going to take McCargo, so we can stop that speculation as well. And even if they did, there were other DT's to be had that could come in and play cover 2 D. Bunkley was the guy that came to mind at oh...#8.

We failed to upgrade and solidify LT which was a clear cut need, instead marv is going to hope the below average Gandy can handle the job. Again, make sure Royal is over there, Gandy will need the help. I think Reyes is an upgrade over Anderson but that is like saying Mike Williams is an upgrade over a local High school kid. That isn't hard to upgrade over Anderson if you get my drift.

What gets me is we could have taken Bunkley, Justice and Still got the DB's etc in rounds 3-7 that we got and STILL it would be an upgraded secondary.

I feel we might have had an ok draft IF the first two guys pan out. That is a BIG if so far. Not much film on McCargo for various reasons. Whitner has knocks on him as well. I have no issue saying we are running this Defense or offense and putting players in it that fit the system. I just feel a guy like Bunkley fit the system and wouldn't have cost us another 3rd rounder that could have helped this team.

I feel our DT's are still undersized considering the talent level. There isn't a tommie harris or A McFarland on this team, and I don't see McCargo being the skill of either at this time. Chicago was great at DT because of WHO was there, not their size.

But here is the reality... no one knows and we won't know until september. I will say this and be on it ALL YEAR LONG... NO EXCUSES. NONE! This Defense better be a top 5 since we spent so much on it. We have the system, the coaches for the system and now the players that have been kept/ Picked specifically for that system. ZERO excuses.

This was Marv's first draft as a GM in the NFL. I'm sure he'll look back and critique it to see if he can find any ways to still get the talent in the early rounds, and try to find those diamonds in the rough in the latter rounds.

Give the guy a break. He didn't do a bad job at all considering his experience at his current position. Look on the bright side, we should have a ball hawking secondary that WILL score points for us. That is what I am most looking forward to. I'd be willing to bet you that this draft will put us back on the map for scoring Defense like we were the year before last (our 9-7 year under Mularkey).

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 10:50 PM
New England; Top Draft of the East, replaced Dillon, got a top WR, got the top FB, went a little nuts at the end going K so quickly and some other odd picks but after last year I trust Belichek and Co.

NY Jets; Great Day 1, went a little off in day 2. Really failed in my opinion to finish off the OL (didnt take Gilles for reasons beyond me) or take a good solid RB (LenDale in rd 1). E Smith, Schlegel, B Smith, Pociask were all bad picks imo.

Miami; Took Allen a little high but like somebody pointed out Saban loves the kid, and he should be a good talent although I think Saban went for the safe pick than grabbing a true playmaker in rd 3. Hagan was an excellent possession receiver pick who should excel as a slot for years to come. Toledo I saw as a reach pick and could of been had 2 rounds later probably. Evans Im not high on, but Wright and Aromashadu were great 7th round picks.