• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kerr
    Hall of Fame Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Was McCargo the pick all along?

You think Levy and Modrak never intended to draft ngata or bunkley? I think that it's become evident they are good politicians because they tried to make everyone believe that bunkley or ngata would be the pick based on how much they were raving about them in their conference. They liked this and that and thought each was a good fit the scheme.

Now I found this little piece of text from Lenny P's tip sheet from the 24th.

"But the hard-working McCargo, who has fully recovered from a stress fracture in his left foot that sidelined him for five games in 2005, is definitely on the rise. Several scouts now list him as the third-best prospect at tackle, behind only Haloti Ngata of Oregon and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. And unlike those two, McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside."

Seems like even Lenny P would agree that McCargo was the top DT for the Bills cover 2 scheme.
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Was McCargo the pick all along?

I still think Bunkley was the top guy. McCargo might be something, by the Bills own admission there wasn't much on him. He was a JR and missed quite a bit of games.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

um.. if bunkley was their guy, they would not have passed on him.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• RedEyE
        • Jul 2002

Yeah, if the Bills really wanted Bunkley, they would have drafted him.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

I dont know if Bunkley was never their guy, but they obviously thought enough of McCargo to trade up for AND draft a safety with the 8th pick.

That tells me that Bunkley wasn't rated as high as we thought.. They ended up what some call a "reach" for a safety rather than the DT nearly everyone figured they'd be taking at 8.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Kenny
            • Aug 2004

My only problem I have with this draft is the Whitner pick. I have no problems with the McCargo pick (once Whitner was taken, because it had to be done).

And though Im just an 'internet' junkie, who isnt in the know with the GMs around the league, it's still hard to justify that Whitner pick.

Pre-draft, I dont think a single mock had this guy rated in the top10. When the draft came along, the first half of the draft came out to be pretty much what EVERYONE thought. Player wise, guys went to the teams that most of us thought.
            Williams, Bush, (either Young or Leinart), Brick, Hawk, Davis, Huff... All went before us, like practically everyone knew they would.
            Even after #8, there really werent much surprises...

It was just OUR pick that seemed odd. Which makes me think that 'fans' rankings of players pretty much matched up to what 'experts' and GMs of teams ranked players... Except of course, the GM of the Bills.

I just sure hope Levy knows what he was doing.

Comment

Working...
            X