PDA

View Full Version : Blitzing in the Cover 2?

Scumbag College
04-30-2006, 05:44 PM
I remeber the Super Bowl winning Bucs Defense using the Cover 2 and they didn't blitz too often. Now i know they're line was alot better than the Bills, but with the new Cover 2 D is it in the gameplan to blitz often?

I'm asking this because with three of the Bills first four picks they went with coverage DBs, and I just don't see the Bills generating alot of extra pass rush from the new additions on the D Line. (Although I like both the McCargo and Williams picks.) I would think they'd have to bring a LB or two on alot of pass plays to get much of a rush.

Dozerdog
04-30-2006, 05:49 PM
I think he idea is to generate pressure without blitzing-

more guys in coverage= more turnovers

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Ideally your front four are supposed to generate pressure, we probably wont see that this year, it will be a system learning year solely, prolly wont see it in good form till 07, 08.

Michael82
04-30-2006, 05:58 PM
I remeber the Super Bowl winning Bucs Defense using the Cover 2 and they didn't blitz too often. Now i know they're line was alot better than the Bills, but with the new Cover 2 D is it in the gameplan to blitz often?

I'm asking this because with three of the Bills first four picks they went with coverage DBs, and I just don't see the Bills generating alot of extra pass rush from the new additions on the D Line. (Although I like both the McCargo and Williams picks.) I would think they'd have to bring a LB or two on alot of pass plays to get much of a rush.
Did you see the Whitner highlight video? He did his best work blizting. :drool:

OpIv37
04-30-2006, 05:58 PM
I think he idea is to generate pressure without blitzing-

more guys in coverage= more turnovers

that must be why we re-signed Ryan Denney :rolleyes:

G. Host
04-30-2006, 06:01 PM
How are the hands of the DBs? Pressure results in interceptions, bad throws, 3 and outs & sometimes fumbles. Interceptions are the best but your DBs (who are not WRs) can catch.

Donte Whitner has been compared to Henry Jones which is certainly better hands wise than Thomas Smith.

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Whitner. Youboty and Simpson all have great hands and make plays on the ball consistently.

Dozerdog
04-30-2006, 07:07 PM
that must be why we re-signed Ryan Denney :rolleyes:Ray Lewis and Dwight Freeney were busy :rolleyes:

Bill Brasky
04-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Whitner. Youboty and Simpson all have great hands and make plays on the ball consistently.

Yes, but none of these guys are ready to start at the NFL level yet.

Whitner is the closest and he still needs a ton of work on his man-to-man skills

jmb1099
04-30-2006, 07:54 PM

Whitner is the closest and he still needs a ton of work on his man-to-man skills
And the guys that we had/have are ready to be done competing in the NFL. So do you stick with the the guys who know how to play but are physically unable to respond, or do you pick up some new physically able talent and teach them how to play? More upside with the young-ins.

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 08:12 PM

Whitner is extremely strong at man-to-man cover skills and even those are a very underutilized trait in the Cover 2 D, bc its mainly zone coverage for the safeties.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Ideally your front four are supposed to generate pressure, we probably wont see that this year, it will be a system learning year solely, prolly wont see it in good form till 07, 08.

I think it hinges greatly on Spikes return to normalcy. I'd love to see his butt brin the heat

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 08:25 PM
I think it hinges greatly on Spikes return to normalcy. I'd love to see his butt brin the heat

What does Spikes have to do with our front four getting pressure on the QB, although I greatly agree that I want to see him return to form.

jmb1099
04-30-2006, 08:26 PM

If anyone can ecover from an injury like that and take it out on the rest of the world, Takeo can.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 08:29 PM
What does Spikes have to do with our front four getting pressure on the QB, although I greatly agree that I want to see him return to form.

Because with his power, speed and athleticism (Before injury) the man is a beast. I would love to see him bring pressure and teams try to stop him. I think Crowell will end up being that guy.

Although, it might be interesting to see Posey be allowed to bring the heat. He did very well in Houston when he was allowed to blitz.

Now I say our biggest weakness is still LDE. We needed a pass rusher from LE in this draft.

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 08:32 PM
Because with his power, speed and athleticism (Before injury) the man is a beast. I would love to see him bring pressure and teams try to stop him. I think Crowell will end up being that guy.

Although, it might be interesting to see Posey be allowed to bring the heat. He did very well in Houston when he was allowed to blitz.

Now I say our biggest weakness is still LDE. We needed a pass rusher from LE in this draft.

Im still lost as to how yo can correlate Spikes recovery to our front four providing pressure, the LB's do not blitz often in the Cover 2 set and aside from that he's not part of the front 4, unless you reffering to him coming back and improving our coverage resulting in more coverage sacks?? :dunno:

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Im still lost as to how yo can correlate Spikes recovery to our front four providing pressure, the LB's do not blitz often in the Cover 2 set and aside from that he's not part of the front 4, unless you reffering to him coming back and improving our coverage resulting in more coverage sacks?? :dunno:

Sorry I was refering to the front 7, not front 4. My bad. and YES LBS do blitz in the cover 2. The base is to have them drop but Tampa, Chicago, Indy all have an lb blitz at various times. We aren't going to sit there most of the game and have 3 lbs just sit there.

DraftBoy
04-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Sorry I was refering to the front 7, not front 4. My bad. and YES LBS do blitz in the cover 2. The base is to have them drop but Tampa, Chicago, Indy all have an lb blitz at various times. We aren't going to sit there most of the game and have 3 lbs just sit there.

Oh I know they blitz, not often but they do blitz if they didnt then the D wouldnt be successful.

ICE74129
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Oh I know they blitz, not often but they do blitz if they didnt then the D wouldnt be successful.

Man I got totally off track there LOL! I couldn't figure out why the hell you were still asking about spikes then I remembered I didn't say front 7 :roflmao:

Mr. Pink
05-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Considering like Ice said, Posey was at his best in Houston when blitzing, is it a possibility that the Bills convert him to DE? I mean we all agree Kelsay and Denney can't/don't get it done, he may be an upgrade there, considering if Spikes is back on the field I don't see Posey seeing any playing time. Nor have any use on this team if Spikes returns.

Of course, Posey might not be able, have the moves to get away from offensive tackles at this level. However, to think either way is speculation. Anyone think this is a possibility?

G. Host
05-01-2006, 05:35 AM
Posey is not big enough to be a DE in 4-3 but they said they same thing about Dwight Freeney and people were proved wrong so I do not know.

I believe in Houston they played a 3-4 defense with one LB with his hand on the ground, a role Posey played.