PDA

View Full Version : At least Jauron & Co. agree with me on one thing

ghz in pittsburgh
04-30-2006, 09:44 PM
For the type of defense they want to play, we have virtually no safeties that can do the job.

Huff might be the guy they were looking at, but deep down I think they set sight on Whitner because he's more physical than Huff. I actually believe that had Huff been available at 8, they would've traded down, knowing they would get at least one. But with Huff gone, they just don't want to take a chance that would ruin the whole draft plan.

Why is safety so important? Look around the league, all of the top defensive teams (Steelers, Bears, etc.) have at least one outstanding safety. I read an article last year stating that the responsibility of the safeties has been steadily increasing in NFL the last 6-7 years. They are now being asked to do virtually everything: rushing the passer, stopping the run, covering WRs, covering slot guys/TEs, providing help, doing stunts, you name it. It affords the defensive coordinators great flexibility in hiding schemes and attacking offenses, especially those with a QB like Peyton Manning who's great at pre-snap reading.

The Bills finally move in the direction of the modern era of defense. They are laying the foundation. We still don't know if McCargo can play the one, or two and being a force. And I still have reservations about our linebacker corp (how many sideline to sideline guys we have? Fletcher is good but not really considered fast).

As far as reaching goes, I couldn't care less. All I care about is getting quality players that pan out. The Steelers had not traded down for the sake of getting an extra pick for as long as I remember, like the last decade. You do your home work, zero in on your targets and execute - why risk losing what you plan on picking?

I'd also like to comment on the difference between Levy's draft and Donahoe's past draft. To me, it looks like Levy listens or gets the scouting Dept listening to the coachs more, resulting a draft concentrated on area of needs whereas the Donahoe's theme is always on talent. I liked this approach better.

Of course the final proof is always on the field and it will be a couple of years down the road. There are a few picks that I'm not crazing about but I don't have the kind of information they have. Now it's up to Jauron and Co. to show us what they got.

Italian Stallion
04-30-2006, 10:07 PM
well said man.......i completely agree

heres to all the new Bills!!!

tampabay25690
05-01-2006, 12:04 AM
For the type of defense they want to play, we have virtually no safeties that can do the job.

Huff might be the guy they were looking at, but deep down I think they set sight on Whitner because he's more physical than Huff. I actually believe that had Huff been available at 8, they would've traded down, knowing they would get at least one. But with Huff gone, they just don't want to take a chance that would ruin the whole draft plan.

Why is safety so important? Look around the league, all of the top defensive teams (Steelers, Bears, etc.) have at least one outstanding safety. I read an article last year stating that the responsibility of the safeties has been steadily increasing in NFL the last 6-7 years. They are now being asked to do virtually everything: rushing the passer, stopping the run, covering WRs, covering slot guys/TEs, providing help, doing stunts, you name it. It affords the defensive coordinators great flexibility in hiding schemes and attacking offenses, especially those with a QB like Peyton Manning who's great at pre-snap reading.

The Bills finally move in the direction of the modern era of defense. They are laying the foundation. We still don't know if McCargo can play the one, or two and being a force. And I still have reservations about our linebacker corp (how many sideline to sideline guys we have? Fletcher is good but not really considered fast).

As far as reaching goes, I couldn't care less. All I care about is getting quality players that pan out. The Steelers had not traded down for the sake of getting an extra pick for as long as I remember, like the last decade. You do your home work, zero in on your targets and execute - why risk losing what you plan on picking?

I'd also like to comment on the difference between Levy's draft and Donahoe's past draft. To me, it looks like Levy listens or gets the scouting Dept listening to the coachs more, resulting a draft concentrated on area of needs whereas the Donahoe's theme is always on talent. I liked this approach better.

Of course the final proof is always on the field and it will be a couple of years down the road. There are a few picks that I'm not crazing about but I don't have the kind of information they have. Now it's up to Jauron and Co. to show us what they got.

Ok I have lived in TAMPA for 3 years now and i follow the BUCS pretty much besides the BILLS......To have a great cover 2 defense. YOU NEED....A safety very athletic that can play in the box and cover the pass......A great Weak side LB, we have...WHy do u think Darrick Brooks was so good so long, and 2 DT that can get pressure in the middle. THESE are 3 keys to a great cover 2 defense.........