PDA

View Full Version : Marv sheds some light on the draft...

JJamezz
04-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Draft Recap 1 and 2 from bb.com

http://www.buffalobills.com/multimedia/index.jsp?FILE_300=http://play.rbn.com/?url=nfl/nfl/open/bills/demand/05billsvision/043006recap2.rm&proto=rtsp

Some interesting things:

* Wasn't 'Marvs' draft.. and while they didn't always agree right off the bat, they came to a consensus with each pick. Everybody had input.

I wonder how much more input the scouts & other guys had, as opposed to when TD was here - I imagine this was quite a different situation. I'd LOVE some insider info on that one.

* They went in with secondary, oline and dline as priorities. In the later rounds, there were defensive players they had ranked equally to the olinemen they took, but since they went D early, they went O late.

* Intelligence is important - its not the only thing, but smarter players respond better to coaching, they grasp it better. But they better be able to run fast too... ;)

* In years past, younger underclassmen might be a consideration, not really the case anymore.

* Oline and QB are positions that take time to develop - exceptions like DBrick are rare.

Leads me to wonder if this idea led to going D early... maybe the intention all along was to address OL in free agency, and pickup some serviceable, but experienced linemen that were already 'developed'. If that IS the case, I would hope they're not done looking - I think one above average player (nobody in particular) who ends up a June 1 casualty, could make this line a lot better than it looks now.

* Marv wanted to wait on McCargo, but the consensus was there was such a dropoff after him, and they were 15 spots or so away from their original 2nd rounder, that they jumped on him.

* They wanted Kyle Williams so badly, they talked about taking him earlier - Marv said the Youboty pick, but I have to think he meant Simpson in the 4th - could you even IMAGINE if they had taken him in the 3rd?!?! So after taking Williams in the 5th, an unnamed team (2 or 3 spots behind) called and said 'Doggone you guys, we were going to take him.'

* Marv and Jauron stressed how every team is always very happy with their draft - no matter where they pick, they're not going to choose players they don't like. That's obvious, but I thought it was interesting.

* Marv, 'We bought the ingredients, now we need to bake the cake.'

* Whitner was graded 'about #10' on their board. Marv said, one he liked best was Cutler, and he was still there too (grinning).

* Kyle Williams - great motor, goes all the time. Hates to always make comparisons, but he's like a Phil Hansen. Smart, loves the game, fantastic team oriented guy. Kollar said he made more plays than Wroten.

* When Marv was doing Bears games, he was enamored with their approach to defense.

* Adams didn't fit their style of defense, and with Milloy not here, they needed to build the core, the middle of the defense - very much so.

* Marv could sell ice cubes to an eskimo... I could listen to the guy all day.

Jersey1031
04-30-2006, 10:20 PM
* Marv could sell ice cubes to an eskimo... I could listen to the guy all day.

Hah...

Mr. Cynical
04-30-2006, 10:22 PM
* When Marv was doing Bears games, he was enamored with their approach to defense.

Dick's defenses:

As DC in Jax, it ranked 19th, 15th, 24th and 25th.
As HC in Chicago it ranked 30th, 16th, 13th, 25th and 12th.
As DC In Detroit it ranked 20th.

Being enamored with that defense is not a good thing IMO.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=91013

Jersey1031
04-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Dick's defenses:

As DC in Jax, it ranked 19th, 15th, 24th and 25th.
As HC in Chicago it ranked 30th, 16th, 13th, 25th and 12th.
As DC In Detroit it ranked 20th.

Being enamored with that defense is not a good thing IMO.

But this is Perry Fewell's Def...

ublinkwescore
04-30-2006, 10:31 PM
some people just don't understand that HCs are really just figureheads in today's game.

Mr. Cynical
04-30-2006, 10:33 PM
some people just don't understand that HCs are really just figureheads in today's game.

This post couldn't possibly be more wrong.

whyamIabillsfan?
04-30-2006, 10:53 PM

This statement could not be more wrong. Head coaches can make or break an NFL franchise. Look at the Patriots with Bill Belicheck. Your gonna tell me that he is a figurehead??? Nick Saban looks like he is turning around the Dolphins. I dont think that Dick Jauron is going to be able to work miracles with this team.

I also want to remind everyone that 2 years ago after Gregg Williams was fired, the Bills had a chance to hire Charlie Weis. Instead they went with Mike Mularkey. Looks like they went wrong there. The Bills have made so many bad decisions for as long as I can remember. If the Bills would have hired Charlie Weis, I guarentee that the Bills would not be in the hole that they are in today.

northernbillfan
05-01-2006, 03:44 AM
This statement could not be more wrong. Head coaches can make or break an NFL franchise. Look at the Patriots with Bill Belicheck. Your gonna tell me that he is a figurehead??? Nick Saban looks like he is turning around the Dolphins. I dont think that Dick Jauron is going to be able to work miracles with this team.

I also want to remind everyone that 2 years ago after Gregg Williams was fired, the Bills had a chance to hire Charlie Weis. Instead they went with Mike Mularkey. Looks like they went wrong there. The Bills have made so many bad decisions for as long as I can remember. If the Bills would have hired Charlie Weis, I guarentee that the Bills would not be in the hole that they are in today.
Good post, welcome to the Zone.

Thanks for the concise breakdown JJ.

jamze132
05-01-2006, 04:08 AM
I don't think it really matters who our couch is right now, Donahoe screwed him for the next 2-3 years.

ICE74129
05-01-2006, 06:45 AM

And I want to remind everyone...who hired those GM's and HC's? WAY past time for a new owner

Gunzlingr
05-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Great post JJ

Michael82
05-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the highlights, JJ. Very cool.

I agree with you, too. I love listening to Marv. He gets me pumped up. :drool: :clap:

madness
05-01-2006, 11:49 AM
yeah, we had a chance to hire Weis. Zero chance. Weis was going home to ND and nobody was stopping him.

Mr. Cynical
05-01-2006, 01:29 PM
And I want to remind everyone...who hired those GM's and HC's? WAY past time for a new owner

:mex: