X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

TD vs. Marv Draft: Difference in Philosophy

Here's my 2 cents on this years draft compared to the last few years.

While Marv didn't care for BPA's early on, he leaned towards drafting role players who he thought best fits the system they have in place while TD would've drafted BPA's with the hope that his coaches could find a way to make them fit into the system.

While Marv didn't care about reaching, TD did but always had the courage to gamble on players based on their talent level. Marv has a system in place. He drafted based on that. I guess the system weighed heavier than a players talent.

Both drafting mentallity were different and although either ways could work, in the end it's all about the coaching. I was impressed by the way TD went through the FA and sometimes the draft but he was horrible at choosing coaches. He took coaches based on their ability to say "YES sir". Inspite of having above average talent, neither GW or MM knew how to piece things together.

I've always maintained that the fins' biggest acquisition was Nick Saban. Didn't matter who the players were. A great coach can always put his players in situations to win. I'm not saying that Saban is a great coach yet, but he seems to know how to build a team and I'm pretty sure ,he knows his football.

We can judge Marv all we want based on this draft. In the end ,it'll boil down to whether he picked the right coach who knows how to run a team. I'm not sold on Dick but I'm not ready to crucify him either. We shall see if our staff knows how to build a team soon enough.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: TD vs. Marv Draft: Difference in Philosophy

At the end of the day, you are exactly right. TD's biggest mistakes were the coaches. The Bills will either succeed or fail over the next few years based on the job Jauron and his staff does.

The biggest issue that Jauron will face will be getting some production out of the quarterback position. Whether that be JP, Nall or somebody else.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS
      The biggest issue that Jauron will face will be getting some production out of the quarterback position. Whether that be JP, Nall or somebody else.
      It's all up to Faichild. TD would've taken Linert and told Faichild, "find a way to make him fit into your deep passing game".
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        It's all up to Faichild. TD would've taken Linert and told Faichild, "find a way to make him fit into your deep passing game".

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
          ....but he was horrible at choosing coaches. He took coaches based on their ability to say "YES sir". Inspite of having above average talent, neither GW or MM knew how to piece things together.....

....We can judge Marv all we want based on this draft. In the end ,it'll boil down to whether he picked the right coach who knows how to run a team. I'm not sold on Dick but I'm not ready to crucify him either. We shall see if our staff knows how to build a team soon enough.
          I completely agree!

The thing that gives me hope that Jauron will do a better job of coaching than he did in his first stint in Chicago is that a lot of very good HCs over the years failed in their first head coaching job or were very lucky to keep their jobs initially if they weren't fired and Jauron very candidly admitted, when he was hired by the Bills, that he learned a lot from the experience that he didn't know going in and there were things he would have done differently. I think that is what can help a coach to become a better HC when he gets a second job.

Still, it all boils down on what the HC is able to get his staff and his players to do on the field. He's got to get everyone to produce up to their potential.
          Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
            • Sep 2003

You can bet TD would have drafted Leinart. Not because we needed a QB, but more because he would want his buddies at ESPN talking about what a great pick he made.

PTR
            10 Commandments of the D
            1. Never stop Rocking.
            2. Legalize all drugs.
            3. Quit your day job.
            4. All Religion should be taxed.
            5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
            6. F**k her gently.
            7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
            8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
            9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
            10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

Working...
            X