10 years, 90 million for spikes? transition tag question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

10 years, 90 million for spikes? transition tag question.

just out of curiousity.. lets say spikes is slapped with the transition tag, meaning the bungles can match any offer, and if they dont, they lose him with no compensation from us.

what if buffalo was to offer spikes, oh say, a 10 year, 90 million dollar contract. obviously cincy isnt going to match that. so then we sign him, and totally redo the deal to something realist, like say 6 years, 30 million.

can or has anything like that ever been done? what is to keep someone from doing that. we have the cap room, and once we renegotiate his contract, we will get the cap room right back.

i know it is probably crazy talk.. but seems like it could be done.

/shrug.

by the way. the transition tag is pretty smart imho for teams to use. it takes the work away from the whole thing. you let the other team do all the negotiating, then u just swoop in with a final figure on what it is going to take to sign the guy, take it or leave it.

maybe we should do that with price.. maybe he wont get quite as much as he thought. just a thought
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • clumping platelets

Bills would be guilty of misconduct.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

so what is that? a 2 minute minor, or a 5 minute major?

:shelby:
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

ok.. so what if the first year of the deal was structured so that we could deal with it. then we redid the deal after the first year?

Comment

• clumping platelets

If the Bills can deal with it, why couldn't the Bengals?

I'm gonna check but I believe there are provisions in the CBA dealing with transition/franchise that prevent your scenario from happening

Comment

• dman4
            • Jan 2003

If you put the transition tag on a player they have to get paid in the top 5 for the position. Isn't that correct??? I am a Packer fan and have come to this site over the last month or so. The Packers also like Spikes but... I think that no team is willing to salvage the future for 1 player. We have Favre and he is great but... some people think we should restructure his contract so we have more money now. What happens is... that we will have to pay later. I think that teams see what happened to Baltimore and probably don't want to go down that path. Mortgage the future for 1 Super Bowl ring... What is more important being competitive for 10 years or 1 Super Bowl ring. I would think being competitive b/c money is what talks(ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc). This is my opinion. I think that Green Bay's philosophy is try to find good veteran's who can provide leadership for 1 to 2 years and build team through the draft. Sometimes it does not workout(ex. Hardy Nickerson).

Comment

• kgun12
              • Jul 2002

Dman4 you make a good point about staying competitve. I know everyone wants a SB victory in Buffalo as well as I do. After the Bills lost to Dallas the sencond SB, we were playing the Washington at home. I was sitting next to some Redskin fans whose team went down the crapper after they beat us in SB 26, they all said they would rather have there team be good on a regukar basis than win the SB and stink for awhile. THAT being said I think it is easier for you and those Redskin fans to say that after you WIN ONE! I wish I knew what that felt like!
              Last edited by kgun12; 02-10-2003, 01:51 PM.
              Retired Air Traffic Controller
              USAF VETERAN
              DAV

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

i want a ring.. mortgage the future.. i will deal with 5 4-12 seasons to get ONE SB WIN!!!

we have suffered too long.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                  In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                  i want a ring.. mortgage the future.. i will deal with 5 4-12 seasons to get ONE SB WIN!!!

we have suffered too long.
                  Sounds nice , but....

Ralph and co need to look at this through season ticket sales. Sure, blow it all at once for the ring- But unless you and 80,000 freinds all plunk down season ticket commitments for the 5 consecutive 4 win seasons, it ain't gonna fly.

They need to keep that place full- and building a compeditive team over the long haul is the only way it will happen.

Comment

Working...
                  X