PDA

View Full Version : That RB that NE got!

Patrick76777
05-01-2006, 09:52 AM
He's going to be sooooooooo good.

Before the draft started I thought he was going to tear it up. Then Friggen NE got him. Not happy.

what's the name, Laurance Marhoney or something?

Novacane
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
According to the draft guides they took him around 30 picks early but I don't hear any of the "experts" ripping them

tat2dmike77
05-01-2006, 10:01 AM
According to the draft guides they took him around 30 picks early but I don't hear any of the "experts" ripping them

Cause NE can do no wrong in the "experts" eyes. They could of drafted a punter in the first round and all the experts would be saying Oh what a genius move by the pats.

Gunzlingr
05-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Didnt' they pass on DeAngelo Williams for him? But they are the Pats they can get away with that sort of thing.

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2006, 10:03 AM
He was a 1st round prospect.

Captain gameboy
05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
I saw that kid in the Music City Bowl.
He was hyped beyond belief.
He looked OK, but spent a lot of time looking for holes rather than hitting them.

I had the impression he was trying to break one on every play because he was declaring for the draft right after the game.

Anyway, he ran for 109 on 26 carries, but didn't look world class, or anything near the hype. He played for a run first/last/always program.

He'll probably be fine, but he reminded me a Antowain Smith with a bit more spped and quickness, but didn't water my eyes.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Laurence Maroney from Minnesota.

He could be VERY good. It's hard to judge Minnesota's players sometimes because they play on that carpet in the dome up there, but Maroney is the reason that Marion Barber III left school early--Maroney had flat out beaten him out for the starting RB job.

Maroney's not a very shifty runner--more of a straight line guy--but if the hole is there when he hits it, he can FLY through it. He's not the biggest or most powerful runner, but he's bigger than Williams and faster than White. Minnesota doesn't pass much to their RB, so it's hard to say what kind of a receiver he is. Reminds me of Michael Bennett a little: not as fast as Bennett, but has better vision and footwork--I like him better at the same stage of their careers. Like I said, he could wind up being very good....

Going so high to the Pats makes me think that the injuries that Dillon had last year might be more serious than the Pats want anyone to know. Age and his recent injuries may be starting to catch up to Dillon.

tat2dmike77
05-01-2006, 10:12 AM
The best play for mauronney was when Minn was playing Mich and he ripped off a long run at the end of the game to set Minn up for the game winning field goal.

Ickybaluky
05-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Well, according to Peter King (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb.draft/index.html) Mike Shanahan likes him. He quotes Shanahan as saying:

"I think the Patriots got a steal. An absolute steal. I think he's going to be the best back in the league."

That is pretty high praise.

tat2dmike77
05-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm not saying that NE didn't get a good pick NE39

But that coming from shannahan doesn't mean much I mean after all he did waste his 3rd round pick last year on clarett

Ickybaluky
05-01-2006, 10:24 AM
But that coming from shannahan doesn't mean much I mean after all he did waste his 3rd round pick last year on clarett

Just like he "wasted" a 6th on Terrell Davis?

tat2dmike77
05-01-2006, 10:27 AM

Come on NE39 thats like comparing SPAM to sirloin steak

TD produced in the league and would of produced for a long time had it not been for injuries.

Clarett is a bum. He had one good season here in columbus. Very few people thought he would get drafted and when he did he just proved that he is still the old clarett.

Ickybaluky
05-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Come on NE39 thats like comparing SPAM to sirloin steak

TD produced in the league and would of produced for a long time had it not been for injuries.

Clarett is a bum. He had one good season here in columbus. Very few people thought he would get drafted and when he did he just proved that he is still the old clarett.

Buy he has a track record for finding RB in this league. Orlandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns, Bell. Denver has consistently been one of the best running teams in the NFL under Shanahan. Don't you think he knows a little bit about running the football.

The Clarett pick was classic Shanahan, as he loves to gamble on talent with questionable character. It burns him from time-to-time, but his overall track record is good. The guy knows offensive football.

ublinkwescore
05-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Well, according to Peter King (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/04/30/mmqb.draft/index.html) Mike Shanahan likes him. He quotes Shanahan as saying:

"I think the Patriots got a steal. An absolute steal. I think he's going to be the best back in the league."

That is pretty high praise.

Cough:BS:Cough

ublinkwescore
05-01-2006, 10:39 AM

Isn't it kinda hard to 'waste' a 6th rounder?

I mean it's rare that people drafted that late ever amount to anything more than training camp fodder.

BillsNick
05-01-2006, 10:53 AM
I watched a few of his games this year, and every game I was amazed at this guy. I was sure he was going to be Edgerin James' replacement in Indy, but the friggin Pats, again, pull something out of their :moon: