PDA

View Full Version : Should the bills have taken Matt Lienart at #8??

Kerr
05-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Recently Marv in particular has taken some heat for not selecting a frachise qb like Matt Lienart.One should recognize that marv was a part of drafting triad consisting of himself, modrak and jauron. Back to Lienart, It's been said his arm strength was not a concern because he's made all the throws at USC, and has been often compared to Tom Brady in terms of deceptive arm strength. Somehow I find that if lienart were selected he wouldn't be openly received without some criticsm such as being another california qb(rob johnson) who doesn't understand blue collar life in buffalo(completely ridiculous reason not to take a player). I don't know about leinart, but rj came from a blue collar family(PA), yet he was blasted for being nothing but a pretty boy fun in the sun california dude.

Discuss.

justasportsfan
05-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Marv stated he liked Cutler best out of the three qb's and he still passed on him. So I doubt taking Matt was even a consideration.

carybillsfan
05-01-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm not sold on JP or Nall or the other idiot, who I refuse to name. But we had to many holes to fill on a so-so qb prospect. Lienart is 3 years away from starting, it just too hard to tell how good he is.

OpIv37
05-01-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm glad we didn't take him. I'm not sure Whitner was the best choice at 8, but he should still make an impact his first season. Matt Leinart will not.

Plus, I think we need to give Losman a real shot with a decent OL and decent offensive system before we give up on him, and we should see what Nall has.

Kerr
05-01-2006, 01:05 PM
I too think losman should get a shot and will eventually win the job, but for conversation purposes, I wanted to see everyone else thought about it becuase leinart is supposed to be the most nfl ready qb of the bunch.

justasportsfan
05-01-2006, 01:08 PM
I too think losman should get a shot and will eventually win the job, but for conversation purposes, I wanted to see everyone else thought about it becuase leinart is supposed to be the most nfl ready qb of the bunch.
I doubt he has experienced the speed of the NFL though which most rookies talk about when they get there.

Bill Cody
05-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Marv is right- if we were going to draft a QB Cutler was the best fit for us because Leinart's soft throws would never work in windy, cold Buffalo.

Mr. Pink
05-01-2006, 01:11 PM
With as many holes as the team had, taking Leinart woulda been a mistake IMHO. That being said, with the QBs we do have on this roster I see us drafting a QB next year. I'm still POd that Omar Jacobs was allowed to fall in the 5th round and we didn't take a chance on him considering I do in fact see us having to take a QB next year. Unless we all go "well, give JP another year to develop."

Unfortunately I'm not sold on any of the QBs on this roster. For different reasons on each guy, and the one of the three that I hate the most is the most able to lead us to victories. That being that Holcomb guy.

Kerr
05-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Marv is right- if we were going to draft a QB Cutler was the best fit for us because Leinart's soft throws would never work in windy, cold Buffalo.

But doesn't Tom brady supposedly have a weak arm too? Leinart's arm has been underrated, he says. I've never seen him have much trouble throwing the ball when he's killed the bills up in buffalo.

dannyek71
05-01-2006, 01:20 PM
we should have drafted him, then immediatly traded him to the highest bidder.

MVP
05-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Simply NO!

OpIv37
05-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Unless we all go "well, give JP another year to develop."

as far as I'm concerned, if JP gets significant playing time this season and does not improve tremendously, he should be cut.

If he doesn't get significant playing time, the new coaching staff is as bad as the old one (barring an injury of course- can't hold that against the coaching staff).

Kerr
05-01-2006, 01:35 PM
as far as I'm concerned, if JP gets significant playing time this season and does not improve tremendously, he should be cut.

If he doesn't get significant playing time, the new coaching staff is as bad as the old one (barring an injury of course- can't hold that against the coaching staff).

You're right. This is JP's last year to make progress. Otherwise, I'm hoping the bills start trading picks to move up into the brady quinn sweepstakes.

dannyek71
05-01-2006, 02:29 PM

Also assume that he is not getting sacked 2nd step into the 3 step drop as well.

Michael82
05-01-2006, 03:25 PM
:no:

Typ0
05-01-2006, 03:36 PM
You're right. This is JP's last year to make progress. Otherwise, I'm hoping the bills start trading picks to move up into the brady quinn sweepstakes.

if we don't get decent play out of the QB position we won't need to trade up.

casdhf
05-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I was hoping we'd draft him. Just because I think he'd put Buffalo on the map a little mroe than Losman/Holcomb/Nall

Drive 4 Five
05-01-2006, 05:31 PM
J.P. Losman had better show some significant improvement this year. No doubt about it. We should have a good idea if Losman is or isn't the man this year and if we were wrong then we eat **** and start looking again, but no way we jump the gun and draft Leinhart. Unless of course your GM is Pat Moran. OpIv is right though. If the current coaching staff starts shuffling QB's then we'll know they are as incompetent as the other jerk off (who is now in Miami-Ha Ha Ha). We go with Nall or Losman and we stick with them. That's it.

SquishDaFish
05-01-2006, 05:46 PM
JP! JP! JP! JP!

thebuffalobills4
05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
ok we did not need him,even marv said that we did not need matt linart.and remeber what he said when he was going to bring in a qb for the competion?marv already did and that was craig nall....

Dozerdog
05-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I would have loved that pick.

But if we did that, then we woudn't have drafted defense all day long. We would have drafted OL all day-

Then we would be losing games 35-21 all season instead of losing them 14-12 all season long.

patmoran2006
05-01-2006, 06:22 PM
I"ve been very supportive of the Bills draft.

but I would have taken Leinart, and went with a guy who just has "winner" written all over him for the next decade, IMO..

I think the way the draft went down and some players at spots we liked fell, we coulda got Leinart and still addressed some other needs.

Doz, I do agree with you. I think if we took Leinart first we would have taken Eric Winston second.

Drive 4 Five
05-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Matt went to the ideal team in my opinion. Fitzgerald, Boldin, and James? Alot better than Evans, Reed, and McGahee. If Leinhart came here then everyone would be calling him a bust after one season anyway because he would undoubtedly struggle on this team. Some of our fans don't even appreciate the fact that J.P. Losman has not even had a fair chance to prove himself yet before they have already declared him a loser, questioning his intelligence, his character, his sexuality and everything in between.

I think he will do quite well in Arizona and quickly meaning we will have to read (by those same fans) how we made a HUGE mistake for having not drafted him, blah blah blah and blah blah blah.

TigerJ
05-01-2006, 11:34 PM
I think Levy was right not to draft Leinart. I've had enough of trying to build a team from the QB outward. It may be a risk, but I want to see Buffalo take the time to learn exactly how much upside the QBs on the roster (particularly Losman) have before giving up and moving on.

G. Host
05-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Holcomb or Nall or the other idiot*, who I refuse to name, but defense is the key to rebuild first and OL as much as they can before infusing it with new talent next year.

Drive 4 Five
05-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Oh well. Besides, Marv himself said he liked Cutler better.

tampabay25690
05-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Well if most of you know football, have you ever seen Matt Leinert throw in snow or wind. NO you havent Arizona will be a perfect fit for him he doesnt have a great arm at all and would be a mess throwing in Buffalo in Nov and Dec. It was a great call not to draft him

doug45
05-03-2006, 09:26 PM
You're right. This is JP's last year to make progress.

We say this every year, and every year we waste one more year waiting for someone to pan out. That is why we needed to take a first round QB as soon as possible because like everyone has said it takes time to get them ready. If JP is as bad this season as he was last we will be one more year behind. Plus at this point he has no one to push him to get better, The other two QB's will be in no way in the running to push him out.

doug45
05-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Some of our fans don't even appreciate the fact that J.P. Losman has not even had a fair chance to prove himself.

He was the starter last year. In the NFL in this day and age you can not take years to prove yourself. If he plays as bad this season and now we don't have a replacement that we are brining up we will have to start from scratch again in a 2 or 3 year process. If this guy is the best saftey in the world it will not make as much of a difference as a good QB. If the offence can not score points you lose.