PDA

View Full Version : More On Giants' Interest In McCargo

LifetimeBillsFan
05-01-2006, 02:27 PM
The following are comments published in the NY Daily News on Sunday. As you read them, keep in mind that no GM is ever going to say that the guy he got wasn't the one he really wanted or had highest rated, nor can you expect out-going Giant GM Ernie Accorsi to admit that he screwed up his last draft before retiring.

from an article entitled: Giant curveball---
http://www.nydailynews.com/04-30-2006/sports/story/413461p-349591c.html

"Ernie Accorsi couldn't leave his job as GM of the Giants without making a couple of final draft-day trades. And while neither of the two he made this year was a blockbuster, one certainly was a surprise....

...But he'll be sitting behind Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck on the Giants' depth chart. Given that depth, defensive end was hardly a need.

But Accorsi said the Giants were eyeing a group of five players for their first-round selection, and Kiwanuka had the highest grade of them all.

"If it was close, we would have gone with need," Accorsi said. "But it wasn't close."

The group included North Carolina State defensive tackle John McCargo, Miami cornerback Kelly Jennings and Miami receiver Sinorice Moss, whom the Giants eventually selected in the second round. Alabama linebacker DeMeco Ryans was likely in that group, too.

The Giants were confident that at least one of them would be available at 32, so they gladly switched first-round picks with the Pittsburgh Steelers (who took Ohio State receiver Santonio Holmes) and picked up an extra third- (No. 96) and fourth-rounder (No. 129).
McCargo and Jennings were already gone by the time the Giants selected, but Accorsi said they would've taken Kiwanuka anyway...."

[My comment: What was he going to say--that they would have picked for need if the guy that they wanted was still on the board but he wasn't or that Kiawanuka wasn't rated that much higher or that they wouldn't have taken Kiawanuka anyway? Of course not! But, regardless, we have Giants GM Ernie Accorsi admitting that McCargo WAS a player that they were considering taking at # 32 spot. Straight from the horse's mouth--a good enough source for you?]

In an article that appears in the same publication today, the Giants are now denying that defensive tackle was a position of need and that they are happy with their selection of Barry Cofield in the 4th round to fill the spot vacated in their starting lineup by the loss of starting DT Kenderick Clancy. Can you spell SPIN? If the fact that they didn't take a DT early to fill that spot, why is the media asking about it and why are they now denying that it was a need?

Here are a couple of quotes from the article:
"The most obvious hole in the Giants' lineup heading into the draft was at defensive tackle. And even though they addressed it in the fourth round yesterday at Radio City Music Hall, it turns out the Giants didn't think it was a very big hole at all.

That's why the Giants spent the first day of the draft taking the best available players - like first-round defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka - and waited until yesterday to start filling their needs. And they began that in the fourth round with Northwestern defensive tackle Barry Cofield, the first of their four second-day picks....

"We didn't think it was the hole that a lot of you people did," GM Ernie Accorsi said of the media. "Obviously if we felt that way we would've done something earlier. We have good young players that can do the job. I don't see where it's a crisis."

That explains why the Giants did nothing more than flirt with some of the available free-agent defensive tackles, such as Grady Jackson and Brentson Buckner - a flirtation Accorsi declared over. They're happy to try clogging the middle with Cofield, a slimmed-down Duckett (6-6, 315) and a bulked up Seawright (6-6, 340) - a risk considering those are three players with almost no experience...."

[If this was so, why did Accorsi say that McCargo was part of the group of five players that they were considering taking with the # 32 pick just the day before in the article cited above? And, why did the Giants actively pursue Ryan Pickett before he signed and bother with Jackson or Buckner at all? I'm not calling you a liar, Ernie, but I don't believe you--'cause I can see the smoke that's coming from your pants!]

"Cofield played both defensive tackle spots in college, but will begin as the nose tackle in the Giants' defense. Duckett is penciled in as the starter at that position, but Tom Coughlin warned, "Damane knows it's time for him to have some production here, or else."

[Sounds like Cofield and Duckett are playing the same position that the Bills are saying that they want McCargo to play doesn't it? It doesn't sound like Coughlin has a whole lot of confidence in Duckett, either, does it? Kind of sounds like Marv talking about JP, huh....]

"We pretty much went for need," Accorsi said. "We have filled just about everything that we thought was critical on our team."

[First he says that they liked Kiwi better than the other guys they targeted because they rated him higher, even though he doesn't play a position of need and will have trouble getting on the field. Then, he says that they didn't see DT as a position of need. And, now, he says that they went for need with their picks and filled everything they thought was critical. If they took a DT and they drafted to fill critical needs, then wasn't DT a critical need? If they took a DE they didn't need when they were considering a DT that they did need and they were drafting for need, wouldn't they take the DT over the DE if they could have? Sounds like Ernie either doesn't know what to say or what he has already said or is spinning the BS faster than even he can keep up with to cover his butt! Compared to Ralph Wilson, Ernie's the one who sounds more senile to me!]

Here's the line to the article, read between the lines for yourself:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/413599p-349702c.html

Michael82
05-01-2006, 03:24 PM
I never thought it made much sense for the Giants to draft Kiwanuka. They didn't need a DE. They already got two very solid ones. DT was a big need. I think that they traded down because they felt that they were the only ones interested in McCargo, until the Bills proved them wrong. :snicker:

casdhf
05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
I dunno anything about this guy ... someone tell me