PDA

View Full Version : QB weighs retirement decision

The_Philster
05-01-2006, 03:52 PM
With the NFL draft over, 43-year-old Doug Flutie is expected to announce this week if he will end a career that included a Heisman Trophy and took him through three pro football leagues. more (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-patriots-flutie&prov=ap&type=lgns)

It's about time :clap: He hasn't been able to complete a season with that arm since 98

Meathead
05-01-2006, 03:54 PM
i wish we had got him in his prime that woulda been fun

The_Philster
05-01-2006, 03:59 PM
i wish we had got him in his prime that woulda been fun
agreed :bf1: I enjoyed his play in 98..his arm just wore out too quickly as time went on

Kerr
05-01-2006, 04:03 PM
I'll be glad I won't have to hear about every little single thing he does from the frontpage. He almost gets as much publicity as T.O on the front page. :rolleyes:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Goodbye little shrimp! it's about time! and good riddance! and thanks for dividing up our locker room while you were here you little cry:baby: :laughing:

justasportsfan
05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm sure Phil would love for him to come over for a day and retire a bill :snicker:

The_Philster
05-01-2006, 08:36 PM
I'm sure Phil would love for him to come over for a day and retire a bill :snicker:
:mad: :puke:

I knew you couldn't resist making some kind of smartass comment ;)

patmoran2006
05-01-2006, 08:40 PM
For 16 games at this point he blows. But if I need a backup to win me ONE game I'd still take him over most of these high profile backups

Mr. Cynical
05-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I will never forget that naked bootleg for the TD against Jax in the final seconds of the game. It is too bad we didn't get him to replace Kelly in '96 instead of wasting time with Collins/Hobert. Those 2 years would probably have made a difference in his arm strength, which is the only knock on him (moreso than his height) He has more "it" in his little pinky than most QBs have in their entire bodies.

He should retire though...it was a nice career but he's done.

Slim
05-01-2006, 10:11 PM
I will never forget that naked bootleg for the TD against Jax in the final seconds of the game. It is too bad we didn't get him to replace Kelly in '96 instead of wasting time with Collins/Hobert. Those 2 years would probably have made a difference in his arm strength, which is the only knock on him (moreso than his height) He has more "it" in his little pinky than most QBs have in their entire bodies.

He should retire though...it was a nice career but he's done.

The last good-years the bills ever had were with him.

ddaryl
05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
The last good-years the bills ever had were with him.

I'll take the the 1st year we grabbed Bledsoe over any year DF was in town. Bledsoe tore it up here in his 1st 8 games. That stretch alone trumped anything DF tried to do in Buffalo or his NFL career.

I don't find the occasional flash to be worthy of any sort of extreme praise. DF was never consistent enough in this league, and good teams had little trouble game planning against him.

The guy is 5' 8". Shortness does not make an average at best QB great... but people love to think so. The occasional flash is fun to watch, but that flash was NEVER going to win a championship, because like I said above.. good teams, and great temas coulds easily contain him.

Slim
05-02-2006, 11:08 PM
I'll take the the 1st year we grabbed Bledsoe over any year DF was in town. Bledsoe tore it up here in his 1st 8 games. That stretch alone trumped anything DF tried to do in Buffalo or his NFL career.

I don't find the occasional flash to be worthy of any sort of extreme praise. DF was never consistent enough in this league, and good teams had little trouble game planning against him.

The guy is 5' 8". Shortness does not make an average at best QB great... but people love to think so. The occasional flash is fun to watch, but that flash was NEVER going to win a championship, because like I said above.. good teams, and great temas coulds easily contain him.

Ya... Bledsoe got us to the playoff's.

Mr. Cynical
05-03-2006, 02:05 AM

The occasional flash is fun to watch, but that flash was NEVER going to win a championship, because like I said above.. good teams, and great temas coulds easily contain him.

And what SB did Dredsoe win? He was just as easy to contain as the season wore on.....he was stonefooted, inaccurate, slow to make decisions and had no touch. Only could throw the rocket deep ball. So teams just blitzed the crap out of him and eventually he'd toss the INT or take a ton of sacks.

DF in his prime was twice the QB Dredsoe ever was IMO.

ddaryl
05-03-2006, 04:07 AM
And what SB did Dredsoe win? He was just as easy to contain as the season wore on.....he was stonefooted, inaccurate, slow to make decisions and had no touch. Only could throw the rocket deep ball. So teams just blitzed the crap out of him and eventually he'd toss the INT or take a ton of sacks.

DF in his prime was twice the QB Dredsoe ever was IMO.

LMFAO... DF has only one 16 NFL season on his record. Yeah such a great QB that only SD trusted him to play the position for them full time that one year. What was SD record that year ? 5-11.... sure wreaks of greatness LOL.

Neither Did Flutie. It was our D that won games for us, and they pulled DF for the Titans game because they didn't (and no other NFL team ever has) have any confidence in him for the playoffs. A game RJ had won before the ST's foul up.

DF was a backup QB, a change of pace player who could steal ya some games wwhen the starter went down. That is it !!!

Bledsoe wasn't better, but I will still enjoy the 1st half of the Bledsoes 1st year over anything the midget did.

Maybe from a personal love of Doug Futile you can say he was 2xs the QB Bledsoe was, but the stats and facts say DB was at worst his par, and when DB was prime Flutie couldn't sniff his strap

The_Philster
05-03-2006, 04:41 AM
Ya... Bledsoe got us to the playoff's.
Bledsoe didn't have the benefit of the top defense in the league when he was here. This IS a team game, after all.

ticatfan
05-03-2006, 08:06 AM
After the last few years , people in buffalo would'nt know a good QB if you fell over it. DF was the only guy to give you a chance.

justasportsfan
05-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Bledsoe didn't have the benefit of the top defense in the league when he was here. This IS a team game, after all.huh? Wasn't the D no. 2 in the league and ST no.1 in his last year?

BTW, if it wasn't for DF, you'd have 1 gig of jills pictures in you hard drive instead of 200 gigs. He did save the franchise ya know. :snicker:

justasportsfan
05-03-2006, 08:21 AM
. A game RJ had won before the ST's foul up.

What? Rob won us that game? Yeah right, DF won us that game against the fins in the wild card game too until that OL foul up that got him sacked in the last play of the game. NOT.

DF was nothing more than a back up. Rob was nothing more than a bust. While it's funny you say no team would have the confidence in Flutie to play in the playoffs, the biggest idiots are the ones that would trust Rob to play in one. I would rather have that back up play for my team over that china doll.

ddaryl
05-05-2006, 05:54 AM
What? Rob won us that game? Yeah right, DF won us that game against the fins in the wild card game too until that OL foul up that got him sacked in the last play of the game. NOT.

DF was nothing more than a back up. Rob was nothing more than a bust. While it's funny you say no team would have the confidence in Flutie to play in the playoffs, the biggest idiots are the ones that would trust Rob to play in one. I would rather have that back up play for my team over that china doll.

I never said RJ was the answer, but DF was just as much not the answer. At least in the Titans game RJ had us in a position to win. I never believed DF could do it in an NFL playoff enviroment, and their is not one single piece of proof out there that says he could've, cause no NFL team had enough confidence in him, and they could easily see how playoff caliber teams were very capable of game planning against him

I personally would have never signed Flutie to begin with. His NFL career wreaks of inability. So did RJ's but i nhindsight not a bit of it mattered... They both sucked.

Flutie never did amount to much in the NFL. His stats, his W-L record and everything else screams the obvious. Only those persons who need to have an underdog story find DF to be great. He never was great accept in the occasional flash, and that means diddly squat in the long run.

What I find monumentalily funny is how people on Bills forums still bring up his names in posts. He doesn't deserve that from Bills fans, he just didn't do nothing that worthy here besides cause grief.

justasportsfan
05-05-2006, 08:57 AM
I never said RJ was the answer, but DF was just as much not the answer. At least in the Titans game RJ had us in a position to win.

RJ had one good drive, that's it. The team played hard when DF was the qb. That's a fact.

I never believed DF could do it in an NFL playoff enviroment, and their is not one single piece of proof out there that says he could've, cause no NFL team had enough confidence in him, and they could easily see how playoff caliber teams were very capable of game planning against him

I personally would have never signed Flutie to begin with. His NFL career wreaks of inability. So did RJ's but i nhindsight not a bit of it mattered... They both sucked.

Flutie never did amount to much in the NFL. His stats, his W-L record and everything else screams the obvious. Only those persons who need to have an underdog story find DF to be great. He never was great accept in the occasional flash, and that means diddly squat in the long run.

What I find monumentalily funny is how people on Bills forums still bring up his names in posts. He doesn't deserve that from Bills fans, he just didn't do nothing that worthy here besides cause grief.

I agree, DF is gone . He was nothing but a back up who thought he had what it took to be a starter in his head. RJ on the other hand was a surfer who thought he was a qb IN HIS HEAD.

While you talk like RJ was the better option in a playoff game, the bills would've never made it to the playoffs in the first place is if RJ was the qb from the start of the season.

I never thought Flutie was much of a qb but if you are gonna compare him to RJ, I'll take him over that piece of crap. You want to talk about how he did in SD, RJ did nothing wherever he went. He even retired earlier than DF. That's how bad of a qb he is. No one wanted him even as a no. 3 for crying out loud.

While you say he shouldn't even be mentioned anymore, all the more the loser RJ shouldn't even be talked about in the NFL. Like I said, if it wasn't for that midget, we wouldn't even be talking about this because the bills wouldn't have existed anymore.

I'll take DF over RJ anyday. It's funny how you want to talk about w-l record and then not mention RJ's stats. NO one should even attempt to talk about RJ in a positive manner.

this isn't about me trying to defend DF as a starter, it's about people trying to compare both. Facts are facts, DF the midget back up was a better qb than Robosack could ever dream.

ps - hAHA! Phil was a Johnsonite but he's never given me a neg rep when discussing both qb's. That's funny. Sorry if the truth hurts. ROB was one of the biggest mistake in bills history.

RJ as playoff qb- What a joke. Van Pelt was a better qb than that china doll.

Oh no, you're not gonna neg me again are you? :lol: