PDA

View Full Version : PTI guys support Marv and our draft.

Buffalogic
05-01-2006, 05:05 PM
Tony and Mike agree that it doesn't matter what the draft gurus say, Marv knew what he wanted and he went for it. Just because McCargo is considered a reach doesn't mean he actually is. A few years ago Dwight Freeney was considered a big reach and look how that turned out for the colts.

Don't believe all the negative media, they don't know half as much about our team as the average poster on this site. I know we filled obvious needs and I was pleased with the players and talent that we got and also where we got them.

I like this draft. Marv's first draft had a lot less question marks then any of the drafts in the TD era. And for that we must rejoice.

SquishDaFish
05-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Totally agree. Glad to see some TV persons agree with me. Great thread and Post Wagon.

patmoran2006
05-01-2006, 05:14 PM
I dont see how anyone could NOT support the Bills draft.

They had a deplorable defense last season, and they drafted to get a lot bettter in the MIDDLE of the defense at both DT and Safety.

THey took two safeties and two Dt's in their first five picks, what's the beef?

They got a SURE starting SS from day one in Whitner, a "pretty much starter" in McCargo at DT, Vincent's 2007 replacement in Simpson and a good rotational DT in Williams, who worst-case is at least better than Sape and is very likely an upgrade over Bannon.

Anyone who bashes this draft is a total IDIOT and anyone who know me knows I'm not always favorable to Bills personell moves.

SquishDaFish
05-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Great posting PAt. Its weird to be agreeing with you lol

casdhf
05-01-2006, 05:19 PM
DT, OT and S were our 3 biggest weaknesses. we spent 8 picks on those positions. I won't complain.

J TES
05-01-2006, 05:46 PM
I dont see how anyone could NOT support the Bills draft.

They had a deplorable defense last season, and they drafted to get a lot bettter in the MIDDLE of the defense at both DT and Safety.

THey took two safeties and two Dt's in their first five picks, what's the beef?

They got a SURE starting SS from day one in Whitner, a "pretty much starter" in McCargo at DT, Vincent's 2007 replacement in Simpson and a good rotational DT in Williams, who worst-case is at least better than Sape and is very likely an upgrade over Bannon.

Anyone who bashes this draft is a total IDIOT and anyone who know me knows I'm not always favorable to Bills personell moves.
Its not about the players that were drafted, its about value, and Buffalo's two most valuable picks, they got bad value. I almost feel bad for Whitner. He's a solid SS prospect but as long as Losman sucks, he'll always be remembered as the guy Buffalo took instead of Lienart. You can make all the excuses you want about how his "arm strength isn't good enough for the cold December winters", "he's a all hollywood", yada yada yada. Well guess what it doesnt matter. Lienart when called upon, has been dropped in a pretty good situation to succeed. And with those recievers, Edge, what looks to be a good o-line Denny's putting together I cant see how he wont. So for as long as Buffalo continues to put crap behind center, Whitner will always be lumped in with Lienart, and he's probably gonna lose that battle. Who's to blame for this? Levy. Levy was caught with his pants down saturday. Spare me this character crap. Levy wanted Huff all a long, and didnt think for a second that he would have been gone. When Oakland took Huff at 7, Levy had no idea what to do, so he resorted to taking the next best player at the same position even though it was BAD VALUE. Is Whitner a bad safety? Absolutly not. Is Whitner going to have a rough time in B-LO as long as Losman, and whomever they put back there sucks? Yes. Would it have been easier if Buffalo traded down, added a pick, and Lienart not being on the board? Yes. And it would have presented VALUE. Oh and if this rumor is true about Levy grading Lienart out as a second rounder, I would be very affraid about the future of this team. Lienart a 2nd rounder and Whitners the 8th best player in the draft? Sorry but Yikes. Thats scary.

Oh and I wouldnt be handing the FS job over to Simpson just yet. His technique and recongnition skills need to greatly improve. He bites hard on play fakes, and needs to play with more discipline. He also struggles to get of blocks, so I wouldnt put him up in the box. He could also improve his lower body strength. H e does have great ball skills, and fills hard against the run. He has decent range in coverage, and he's very physical. He's a good prospect, but he's no where's near ready to play.

John Doe
05-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Things could not have fallen better for the Bills - it was a superb draft. They got the players that they had targeted throughout.

Bill Brasky
05-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Tony and Mike agree that it doesn't matter what the draft gurus say, Marv knew what he wanted and he went for it. Just because McCargo is considered a reach doesn't mean he actually is. A few years ago Dwight Freeney was considered a big reach and look how that turned out for the colts.

Don't believe all the negative media, they don't know half as much about our team as the average poster on this site. I know we filled obvious needs and I was pleased with the players and talent that we got and also where we got them.

I like this draft. Marv's first draft had a lot less question marks then any of the drafts in the TD era. And for that we must rejoice.

Surprising since these guys are halfwits a lot of the time...

Yeah, I feel really sad for these people who are banking on what ESPN and goons like Mel Kiper are "saying".

If we all listened to Mel Kiper as the end-all be-all, we'd still think Ryan Leaf was the 2nd best QB when he was drafted...

The Bills get ripped for getting guys they needed, but nobody ripped Kiper for saying Leaf was the 2nd best player in the draft when he came out.

CAbills
05-01-2006, 06:18 PM
I just think of it this way, Tom.D went for the big splash and marquee names all 5 years he was here where did we end up? Five years out of the playoffs and the last season a 5-11 record. I remember all the "experts" gave us an A for his 2002 draft and that worked out REAAAL well.

I trust Marv, smart players, football junkies, good kids, who have not yet reached there football potential, being as alot are underclassmen.

Bill Brasky
05-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I was not extremely happy with this draft.

I gave it a C.

But for national "media gurus" who know jack squat about this team and almost never speak or read about it to turn us into a laughing stock is absurd.

Shows how mature these "experts" are when their judgement is questioned.

And though it's being blown into this big disaster, the only idiots who are bashing us nonstop are the ******s over at ESPN... that being said, I don't think it's as big of a deal as we think.

Most real football fans realize it wasn't a great draft for us, but it also did address some pressing needs.

BTW: it's even more comical that according to "ESPN expert rankings" the players the Pats drafted were extreme reaches, but the Bills "reach" and Marv is a senile idiot.

justasportsfan
05-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Its not about the players that were drafted, its about value, and Buffalo's two most valuable picks, they got bad value. .Donahoe was a great value GM. You like the results?

Huff wasn't there at 8. So what would you rather do ? Panic and take Ngata or Bunkley even though they are not the players you want just so that you have value? If our d jumps from 29th in the league to top 10, what does that say about value?

I am not saying that our draft will result in wins. I won't however call this draft a bust either until I see how these draft pans out on the field.

Bill Brasky
05-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Donahoe was a great value GM. You like the results?

Huff wasn't there at 8. So what would you rather do ? Panic and take Ngata or Bunkley even though they are not the players you want just so that you have value? If our d jumps from 29th in the league to top 10, what does that say about value?

I am not saying that our draft will result in wins. I won't however call this draft a bust either until I see how these draft pans out on the field.

I don't know if the D will leapfrog in the stats that much, but you've also go to remember that last year our leader was out the whole year, that had a big reason with the drop off.

justasportsfan
05-01-2006, 06:30 PM
I don't know if the D will leapfrog in the stats that much, but you've also go to remember that last year our leader was out the whole year, that had a big reason with the drop off.I'm not saying it will jump that far either. The thing is, we did something about that 29th ranked D with players we wanted. Whether it pans out remains to be seen.

Bill Brasky
05-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Agreed.

I just wish the OL would have been addressed with better talent, both through the draft and FA. I really think the OL is a bigger concern than the D was. If our O didn't have so many 3 and outs last year, it would have kept our D off the field instead of leaving them out to hang for 40+ in a lot of games.

If you guys watched the games last year, the D played well for the first half of games, but it was obvious they just got worn out after being on the field so much, and a lot of that has to do with the offense being absolutely terrible, and quite frankly I think the O has gotten slightly worse than it was last year.

This team is still light years away from the playoffs, but I think most of us realize this is more than a 1 yr process.

John Doe
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
I am not saying that our draft will result in wins.

That's OK - I'll say it for you.

This draft will result in wins.

justasportsfan
05-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Agreed.

I just wish the OL would have been addressed with better talent, both through the draft and FA. I really think the OL is a bigger concern than the D was. If our O didn't have so many 3 and outs last year, it would have kept our D off the field instead of leaving them out to hang for 40+ in a lot of games.

If you guys watched the games last year, the D played well for the first half of games, but it was obvious they just got worn out after being on the field so much, and a lot of that has to do with the offense being absolutely terrible, and quite frankly I think the O has gotten slightly worse than it was last year.

This team is still light years away from the playoffs, but I think most of us realize this is more than a 1 yr process.

Didn't Willis lead the league in rush yards up to a certain point? His nos. dropped when Moolarkey started putzing around with the line up and the team started to fold and gave up on him.

Maybe our line was serviceable with the right coaching. :idunno:

Bill Brasky
05-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Didn't Willis lead the league in rush yards up to a certain point? His nos. dropped when Moolarkey started putzing around with the line up and the team started to fold and gave up on him.

Maybe our line was serviceable with the right coaching. :idunno:
He might have, but the first few games on our schedule were against very poor rushing D's.

I can't even recall how many games last year where Willis avg'd less than 3 YPC... and when you have a guy who racked up the #'s he did in his first campaign, that is just a testament to how poorly your blocking is.

I think a lot of it has to do with Willis as well, he has a tendancy to get lazy and not play so hard... how else can you explain the guy's track record so far here, he hasn't busted 1 long run since he's been here but that is another topic for another time...

But can't disagree with you on the coaching... I've said time and time again that eventhough this team lacked a lot of talent on both Lines, coaching was the ultimate downfall of this team... the coaching staff single-handedly cost this team several games last year.

Nighthawk
05-01-2006, 07:21 PM
The Bills did much better than I thought they would in this draft and I think our team will be better for it. Good draft by M&M.

Michael82
05-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Nice thread! :up: