• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

My take on the Clements trade conversations

I think we could get a pretty good OT for him... right now I haven't done enough homework so I can't really drop any names... but the point is, eventhough we as Bills fans realize how overrated Nate might be, that doesn't mean other teams out there realize this. I'd be willing to bet the Bills could really pull off a good deal for him, if they tried.

However, I think the best thing the Bills can do at this point is Franchise Nate for this season, have him play for a contract. Youbooty, McGee, King... none of these guys are ready to be a #1 corner in this league yet and this team cannot afford another huge gap in a pivotal position.

Of course, the big gamble is whether or not Nate plays well this year. If he tanks, which is very likely, teams might not give the Bills good compensation next season if they want to trade him... if he plays well, it can pay huge dividends for this franchise.

At this point next year I don't think Gandy or Villarial will be serviceable, which is why I think the Bills could be well positioned to trade NC for a good OT or maybe even an OG.
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Re: My take on the Clements trade conversations

We need a good all around guard that we can plug in on either side.

I'll say it again, get rid of Nate for the best guard possible, and that team's 4th/conditional 3rd next draft.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
      • May 2003

Originally posted by jfreeman
      I think we could get a pretty good OT for him... right now I haven't done enough homework so I can't really drop any names... but the point is, even though we as Bills fans realize how overrated Nate might be, that doesn't mean other teams out there realize this. I'd be willing to bet the Bills could really pull off a good deal for him, if they tried.

However, I think the best thing the Bills can do at this point is Franchise Nate for this season, have him play for a contract. Youbooty, McGee, King... none of these guys are ready to be a #1 corner in this league yet and this team cannot afford another huge gap in a pivotal position.

Of course, the big gamble is whether or not Nate plays well this year. If he tanks, which is very likely, teams might not give the Bills good compensation next season if they want to trade him... if he plays well, it can pay huge dividends for this franchise.

At this point next year I don't think Gandy or Villarial will be serviceable, which is why I think the Bills could be well positioned to trade NC for a good OT or maybe even an OG.
      You're really going to sit here and tell me that the fans know more about Nate Clements than the scouting departments of NFL teams? Wow. I think the Bill's can get a good deal for him because he is a good player not because he is overrated.

I also feel that if Clements truly wants to be the highest paid at his position, then he is on his way out of here. Why franchise him? It is not as if one more inexperienced player at a critical position is going to make that big of a difference. It is not as if this team is ready to make a move. If Nate is asking for more than he knows he is worth then he also has to know that he will be playing elsewhere, maybe as soon as this year.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Alright.. Freeman your my boy and I agree with you a hell of a lot more than I dont.. But on this particular case, i'm with you on WANTING to trade him.

But.. It's not happening.

Buffalo had it decided to trade Nate had its window of opportunity to get value and that opportunity has all but passed. Sure they can still trade him but what are they going to get for him?

Plenty of teams needed CB's before April 29. Now at least for the time being they are contempt. The Bengals needed a CB, Drafted one in the first round. So did San Diego and Seattle. Catch my drift?
        I highly doubt a team that just invested in a first rounder is going to trade for him.. Plus MOST teams dont have the cap room to pay out a HUGE signing Bonus Nate will want to agree too.

I"m not saying a trade is IMPOSSIBLE, it is.. But its EXTREMLY unlikely.. I think if he was getting traded, it would have happened this weeekend.

NOw for his future in Buffalo..
        I think marv is going to have him play this season out, Nate will end up signing the franchise offer because realistically he has no other option other than to not play.

I DONT think Nate will sign a long-term deal anytime soon, in fact, I'd be UTTERLY shocked if that happened.

I think what Marv will do is have him play this season out then re-evaluate at after the season (its also a BIG reason we drafted youboty)... Marv will offer him a long-term deal on what HE thinks is fair and on how Nate plays.. As long as he's a bill, he will NEVER be among the 3-4 highest paid at this position long-term..

Nate will probably refuse the offer as he knows/thinks he'll get more elsewhere.

At that point, I think Marv tags-and-trades him.

Nate is going to remain a Bill, at least for 2006. I predict pretty confidently this is his last season. I KNOW he wants to be highest paid corner in the league, and I THINK he doesnt want to be in Buffalo either.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
          • May 2003

And if he starts threatening to hold out? I think Nate is already gone man. You may be right, we should have traded his ass this weekend. Of course you know Marv is going to give him evry opportunity, just like he did with Moulds, and it will cost us. Oh well. The point is, Nate has to want to be a Buffalo Bill and I think you're right Pat, he wants out of here.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Drive 4 Five
            You may be right, we should have traded his ass this weekend.
            Yeah, it would have been smart to trade him leaving our secondary with rookies and Terrance McGee, who is barely able to keep up with #2 WR's at this point in his career

Originally posted by patmoran2006

I think what Marv will do is have him play this season out then re-evaluate at after the season (its also a BIG reason we drafted youboty)... Marv will offer him a long-term deal on what HE thinks is fair and on how Nate plays.. As long as he's a bill, he will NEVER be among the 3-4 highest paid at this position long-term..

Nate will probably refuse the offer as he knows/thinks he'll get more elsewhere.

At that point, I think Marv tags-and-trades him.

Nate is going to remain a Bill, at least for 2006. I predict pretty confidently this is his last season. I KNOW he wants to be highest paid corner in the league, and I THINK he doesnt want to be in Buffalo either.
            This is exactly what I see happening as well.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

I think we could get a pretty good OT for him... right now I haven't done enough homework so I can't really drop any names... but the point is, eventhough we as Bills fans realize how overrated Nate might be, that doesn't mean other teams out there realize this. I'd be willing to bet the Bills could really pull off a good deal for him, if they tried.

Hey, you stole my thread. But I like it because you agree with me.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

BTW.
                Maybe I'm nuts.. AS disgusted as I was with the deplorable defense last year. I thought McGee was the SINGLE biggest bright spot, and I venture to say that if he CONTINUES to improve in '06, he'll be as good a corner as Nate, meaning we wont need a new "shutdown" corner, McGee will be it.

I think he can be THAT good, and Im not talking about kick returning.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• jamze132
                  Don’t hate…
                  • Jun 2003

Who's to say that Clements isn't excited about the future of our defense now that the draft is over? Maybe he will sign a longterm contract with Buffalo.

Heres my take:

Clements is tagged this year but yet to sign the tender. He really has no choice but to, and damn, $7+ mil? come on. Anyways, he will sign, eventually. I don't think he wants to sit out a year. He has a couple of options. 1. Play like he did last year and hope that Buffalo trades or lets him walk. 2. Play like he can and make everyone in the secondary alot better through competition and get a nice contract in Buffalo.

I am hoping that he gets a fire lit up under his ass, signs longterm, and starts making Probowls.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                    Sab and TD are insignificant
                    • Sep 2002

Yeah, it would have been smart to trade him leaving our secondary with rookies and Terrance McGee, who is barely able to keep up with #2 WR's at this point in his career

This is exactly what I see happening as well.
                    Terrence McGee outperformed Nate last year.

He's ready to be a #1 CB IMO...
                    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• casdhf
                      • Jul 2002

player for player trades don't happen. The best we could get for him would be a draft pick.
                      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                        • Sep 2003

Trades can still happen alot of teams that may be on the cusp of the playoffs and beyond that may be a DB away may trade a high pick next year to get Nate. I would be willing to trade him for a "HIGH" pick or picks next year. Let's be realist we are not going to become Superbowl contenders overnight. Play JP for the whole year and evaluate, Play the rooks in the secondary and get the experience! Next year draft OL/DE/LB etc... based on performance of the 2006 season and then we will start the improvement process. I like this years draft alot! a young secondary that will grow together, I bet Marv does the same with the Oline next year. Marv may acutally have a plan!

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                          • May 2003

Yeah keep rolling your eyes. This coming from the guy who believes that Bill's fans know more about Nate Clements than NFL Scouting Depts. Anyway...

My point is...if you put your spectacles back on and put the doobie down, is that with so many new players (and many of them getting younger) we are not making a move anyway so if we have a chance to trade Clements and get more value during draft time, why hesitate to pull the trigger when you are going to have to trade him anyway?

In case you forgot News Flash, Nate never signed that franchise offer. You dig? Unless by some miracle, that he was just over-f**king-whelmed by what he saw from the Bills this past draft weekend, Nate will not be a Buffalo Bill for much longer.

Comment

• Kerr
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Somone explain to me again why Turtle was lined up against Mark Clayton in the tampa game? Talk about a mismatch in terms of height. He should have been lined up on Galloway.

As for as clements go, i'd trade him for a good LT too if any were available.

Comment

• Buckets
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Drive 4 Five
                              Yeah keep rolling your eyes. This coming from the guy who believes that Bill's fans know more about Nate Clements than NFL Scouting Depts. Anyway...

My point is...if you put your spectacles back on and put the doobie down, is that with so many new players (and many of them getting younger) we are not making a move anyway so if we have a chance to trade Clements and get more value during draft time, why hesitate to pull the trigger when you are going to have to trade him anyway?

In case you forgot News Flash, Nate never signed that franchise offer. You dig? Unless by some miracle, that he was just over-f**king-whelmed by what he saw from the Bills this past draft weekend, Nate will not be a Buffalo Bill for much longer.
                              I'LL GIVE YOU TWO EXAMPLES WHERE WE KNEW A LITTLE MORE THAN THE EXPERTS, PRICE AND HENRY.

Comment

Working...
                              X