PDA

View Full Version : So no one signed Browns ex-LT Ross Verba

G. Host
05-02-2006, 10:39 PM
I figured some team before draft would sign him to a one year contract.

According to the Tampa Tribune, the Bucs are one of three teams who have talked with veteran free-agent left tackle Ross Verba, according to an Internet report. Verba sat out last season after he bought himself out of his contract with the Browns but failed to land another job. The other teams reportedly expressing interest in possibly signing Verba are the Cardinals and Packers.

Interesting that none of the teams which saw him the most, the AFC, are interested in signing him.

pintonick96
05-02-2006, 10:44 PM
How long have fans been waiting for us to sign him and we haven't? My guess is we wont.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-03-2006, 02:00 AM
After the way he handled his contract situation and some of the comments he made last year, I can't see Marv Levy being interested in him, either.

Considering the way that the Bills are bringing in guys who are primarily right tackles: Gibson, Butler, and even Pennington; and the other offensive linemen that they have, I wouldn't be surprised if they are not contemplating moving Peters to the left side more than they are letting on right now. I know that they are denying it--and they may leave Peters on the right side because at least he and Villarial are used to playing side-by-side--but, if they can sign Peters to a contract extension, I think that move is coming and will happen no later than next season when Villarial may be expendable/replaced.

Night Train
05-03-2006, 02:23 AM
If I remember correctly, Verba thought he was worthy of some huge contract and teams just ignored him.

Sounds like he's still not listening to teams who want to offer him a 1 year deal.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-03-2006, 07:21 AM
Aside from the one contract issue, Verba is a good guy. Good player too.

I am sure Marv would be interested in signing him, and might still be, but my guess is that Randy Lerner and Phil Savage called other GMs last offseason and effectively got Verba blackballed for the year.
Since Marv was not here then, I can't imagine that he wouldn't bring Verba in for a visit if he felt Verba would improve the team.

At this point, I would be concerned with him being in condition to play.

GarnOFreak
05-05-2006, 08:40 PM
yeah but if you remember the situation between him and the Cleveland FO....the head coach promised him a raise and renogotiated contract for the next season and was then canned. The new FO folks said, "we don't have to honor promises made by the prior regime". and he got so mad that they wouldn't honor the deal he decided to buy out his contract. He was considered a top 10 LT in the league at the time (even though he is no spring chicken), just that no one really had a lot of money to throw around for a high-priced LT. It was just after the Browns signed LJ Shelton to a deal to be their LT insurance policy and leverage against Verba...yeah, that worked about as well as having chosen Tim Couch as their #1 overall pick did their first year back in existance. Verba deserves another shot with somebody, he's not 40-something and he only took one year off, that's not that uncommon( plus, players usually come back hungrier after missing the game for a year). Problem is no one will break the bank for him, so why not at least offer him Marcus Price money and go from there? At least throw our hat in the ring....

Scumbag College
05-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Verba will be 33 on Halloween. I can't see anyone offering him top 10 LT money for a long term contract after sitting out a year. If he's still looking for that, F- him. If he's not, why not offer a two year deal with alot of incentives?

!Papacrunk!
05-06-2006, 09:07 AM
I guess he thought it was a good idea at the time to buy out his contract, yeesh--hindsight 20/20 kind of thing.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-06-2006, 09:30 AM
That guy doesn't sound like the smartest guy in the world.

PromoTheRobot
05-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Harleys...Strippers...and Jack. Ross is living the dream right now, as long as his money holds out. Somehow I doubt he's in playing shape.

PTR

patmoran2006
05-07-2006, 12:31 PM
After the way he handled his contract situation and some of the comments he made last year, I can't see Marv Levy being interested in him, either.

Considering the way that the Bills are bringing in guys who are primarily right tackles: Gibson, Butler, and even Pennington; and the other offensive linemen that they have, I wouldn't be surprised if they are not contemplating moving Peters to the left side more than they are letting on right now. I know that they are denying it--and they may leave Peters on the right side because at least he and Villarial are used to playing side-by-side--but, if they can sign Peters to a contract extension, I think that move is coming and will happen no later than next season when Villarial may be expendable/replaced.

I agree. And I also think that they may be working on a long-term contract for him right now and will move him to the left side AFTER he inks his deal. Obviously, a starting left tackle will earn more money than a right one.

That's what Im thinking may be going on anyway.

But then again, does that push Gandy to the right side? Sorry, I dont see Gibson starting at RT and I doubt McFarland or especially Butler is either.

I think this is Villarrial's last season in Buffalo. He's old, gets banged up too much and is expensive. I think by 2007 we'll see Duke Preston in his spot, if not sooner.

acehole
05-07-2006, 02:35 PM
But then again, does that push Gandy to the right side? Sorry, I dont see Gibson starting at RT and I doubt McFarland or especially Butler is either.
<<<

Pat I do see Aaron as right tackle. The coaches inserted him there in camp. If he is in shape he can not only play but dominate. The Bills really don't know if he (Peters) can play LT. They really should give him an incentive based deal. They can base it on sacks against and playing time at either position...more money for left tackle less for right.

Everybody is happy there.

The gaurds were allways my concern. A lot of sacks came up the middle or the center and guards...I think our biggest need is RG. Chris just don't cut it in my book.