• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Inside Info on Bills First Round.

Take this for what it's worth.. If you want to believe it, then great.. If you don't, I really don't care either. Just thought some fans might want to know this.

According to a "source", the Buffalo Bills actually as late as Friday were planning on taking Broderik Bunkley with the 8th pick in the draft in round one.

This changed on Friday evening when Levy got wind that the Pittsburgh Steelers had a trade in place with the New York Giants to move up to Number 25 in the draft. The deal was contigent that one of two WR's were still on the board...The Steelers were going to take either Santonio Holmes or Sinorice Moss (surprisingly Chad Jackson wasn't on that list, maybe teams werent so hot for him after all).

Marv, Modrak and whomever went through their own mock and took a chance (which obviously paid off in their minds) that either Holmes or Moss would still be on the board at 25. When they came to that conclusion they switched their draft plans.

Whether you want to believe it or not (and I know a few dont, oh well), Marv also knew that the Giants were taking McCargo and figured that nobody would take him in the first round. This has ALL but been confirmed in several New York papers that the Giants had McCargo tabbed.

So instead of Bunkley and a reach for a starter at safety, the Bills brass decided that Whitner was a sure thing at safety and took him at 8, knowing that they could also get McCargo with the Giants moving down.

I also heard from a draft person very much in the know that the Bears were not the first team that the Bills called about moving up. They also contacted Tampa Bay (23) and Cincinnati (24) about taking over their spot.

IN a way, you can thank Sam Adams signing with the Bengals as the reason they got to take McCargo at 26 (unless of course you hate McCargo and think its a bad pick).

Anyways, just thought I would share this stuff with you guys. Like I said, believe what you like. I don't want nor feel the need to share with anyone my credentials, contacts, etc. Just thought this was something noteworthy to pass along to Bills fans.
    Last edited by patmoran2006; 05-03-2006, 05:29 PM.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Inside Info on Bills First Round.

If your user name was Skooby, I couldn't possibly believe you at this point, but it sounds plausible. If I can simplify for my own benefit, you're saying Buffalo wanted both a DT a strong safety early in the draft. The original strategy was to take Bunkley first and the best safety available with their second round pick, but they preferred Whitner and McCargo to Bunkley and the best available safety. The Pittsburgh Giants trade made Whitner/McCargo seem doable so they went for it. Have I got it?
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
      • Jul 2002

Unrelated to the first round, but something I heard today.

Ko Simpson slipped because of a real eyebrow raising Wonderlik.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
        • Aug 2005

that didnt hurt vince young any did it?
        SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• Dicknoze69
          Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
          • Jul 2002

I think it's entirely plausible. ESPN (who is usually in the know) seemed absolutely shocked that the Bills picked Whitner.

In fact, I think there was so little analysis of the pick right afterwards because of the level of surprise.

God give me style and give me grace
          God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• Captain gameboy
            • Jul 2002

Acutally, the number I heard was very Vince Young first time-ish.

The actual quote was:

Q...."Why did Ko Simpson fall so far?"
            A....."Believe the Wonderlik."

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by TigerJ
              If your user name was Skooby, I couldn't possibly believe you at this point, but it sounds plausible. If I can simplify for my own benefit, you're saying Buffalo wanted both a DT a strong safety early in the draft. The original strategy was to take Bunkley first and the best safety available with their second round pick, but they preferred Whitner and McCargo to Bunkley and the best available safety. The Pittsburgh Giants trade made Whitner/McCargo seem doable so they went for it. Have I got it?
              Absolutely 100% yes.
              And when Marv found out Pittsburgh could trade with the Giants (who I mean to say in original thread, not the Bears).. That McCargo became the guy for them and they went in that direction.

And I have no clue if they had taken Brod Bunkley who the safety they had in mind would have been. Id imagine Bullocks but that would be nothing but a guess.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                Absolutely 100% yes.
                And when Marv found out Pittsburgh could trade with the Giants (who I mean to say in original thread, not the Bears).. That McCargo became the guy for them and they went in that direction.

And I have no clue if they had taken Brod Bunkley who the safety they had in mind would have been. Id imagine Bullocks but that would be nothing but a guess.
                If you are right than this makes me feel alot better about our draft. Because from the outside it looked like chaos. If this was Marv's intention, okay. My only issue is if this was the plan than why were they fielding trades to get out of #8? Because Whitner was going to still be around at ...? just curious.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by gameboy
                  Acutally, the number I heard was very Vince Young first time-ish.

The actual quote was:

Q...."Why did Ko Simpson fall so far?"
                  A....."Believe the Wonderlik."
                  Ko Simpson had a 10 on the Wonderlic. It was on the Sporting News site.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Trust in Marv.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                      If you are right than this makes me feel alot better about our draft. Because from the outside it looked like chaos. If this was Marv's intention, okay. My only issue is if this was the plan than why were they fielding trades to get out of #8? Because Whitner was going to still be around at ...? just curious.
                      If you are Philly- and want Bunkley- and you think Buffalo is going to take Bunkley- then you call Buffalo and see if they will deal.

I think Philly also played this really cool. If Buffalo responded to trade overtures in any positive manner after sending out vibes they wanted Bunkley - they probably felt that the Bills were bluffing about Bunkley. They were right.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                        • Aug 2003

I actually think that pat is a very insightfule and imformative poster when he presents a topic, he just can get annoying when he hammers away at the same topic a thousand times

keep up the good work

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

I'll add to Pat's "Take it for what it's worth"...

A friend of a friend was in a bar with a Bills scout on draft day, and after the pick was made at #8 he received a text message from another scout that read "WTF r we doing?"
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                            • Aug 2005

that's very interesting
                            SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• G. Host
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by L.A. Playa
                              I actually think that pat is a very insightfule and imformative poster when he presents a topic, he just can get annoying when he hammers away at the same topic a thousand times

keep up the good work
                              I agree with LA's sentiment other than his first reaction sometimes is a bad Jerry Sullivan immitation.

Comment

Working...
                              X