PDA

View Full Version : Further evidence that Ralph is not senile

Saratoga Slim
05-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Jacksonville's owner is now giving some props to Ralph for being the first of the small-market owners to grasp the issues posed by the CBA for small market teams.:

http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories/2006/05/01/daily30.html

"It turns out," Weaver said, "that Ralph was right, and he was far ahead of many of us."

Glad to see it, will be good to have some more friends at the table.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-03-2006, 07:02 PM
That's a relief

dolphan117
05-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Funny since Ralph himself said he didnt understand it.

The_Philster
05-03-2006, 07:07 PM
Funny since Ralph himself said he didnt understand it.
Yeah..when they were given 45 minutes to digest the provisions before they had to vote on it :rolleyes: I'd wager the majority of the owners didn't understand it..Ralph was the only one who said so

dolphan117
05-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah..when they were given 45 minutes to digest the provisions before they had to vote on it :rolleyes: I'd wager the majority of the owners didn't understand it..Ralph was the only one who said soWhere does this 45 minutes figure come from? The owners were all working on the CBA for weeks, then on Sunday the players granted one last extension and submitted a final proposal that the owners had 4 days to go over until they finally voted on Thursday. I have hear this talk of 45 min before and I didn't understand it then either, even if they only had less than an hour to go over the final revision they had still been talking about everything for at least the last 4 days and in more general terms the last several months.

Stewie
05-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Where does this 45 minutes figure come from? The owners were all working on the CBA for weeks, then on Sunday the players granted one last extension and submitted a final proposal that the owners had 4 days to go over until they finally voted on Thursday. I have hear this talk of 45 min before and I didn't understand it then either, even if they only had less than an hour to go over the final revision they had still been talking about everything for at least the last 4 days and in more general terms the last several months.

Hey dude: Billionaires don't work on stuff. They read final proposals, sign off, and play golf.

Jersey1031
05-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Hah, that's great...

Ingtar33
05-04-2006, 01:42 AM
I said this, and you all tore Ralph (and me by proxy) a new one.

It smelled fishy when it was voted on... grew fishier when I heard the details. The true trick to this deal was the lack of revenue sharing for luxury boxes and both stadium and individual team advertising, and when the final deal had neither, I suspected they had found a way to bamboozle the lower revenue teams.

Ralph, did vote against it because he didn't understand it, mostly due to the fact no one could have in the 45 minutes they were given to review it and vote. But his later comments were correct, after he had a chance to look at it.

The other low revenue teams are discovering they should have voted against it too. Classic bait and switch by NY, Was and Dal

G. Host
05-04-2006, 01:47 AM
Lack of revenue sharing on luxury boxes and both stadium and individual team advertising should have made it a deal breaker. Teams like Washington get a huge amount of corporate sponsors and now smal teams need to match jump in salary cap or be called 'cheap'. The original concept of 'local money' now has been spread out to hurt smaller teams.

Michael82
05-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Props to Ralph for being one of the leaders of the small market teams. He's going to help get this changed before it's too late, especially now that the small market teams who voted for it realized what they actually voted for. :ill:

Dr. Lecter
05-04-2006, 12:15 PM
I know some of us defended Ralph from the start.

Michael82
05-04-2006, 01:27 PM
EXACTLY!

Forward_Lateral
05-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Bottom line, the owner's panicked in fear of an uncapped year, and basically would sign any agreement put in front of them.

dolphan117
05-04-2006, 01:38 PM
I know I aready asked this once but where does the 45 min come from? Not trying to be rude I just have never heard it explained and they had been working on this CBA for the beter part of a month.

justasportsfan
05-04-2006, 01:40 PM
I know I aready asked this once but where does the 45 min come from? Not trying to be rude I just have never heard it explained and they had been working on this CBA for the beter part of a month.when Ralph was interviewed on TV right after that CBA meeting , he stated that they had 45 mins. to read the new proposal. The CBA signed was not the original proposal.

Jeff1220
05-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Ralph was ripped by the media for not understanding the proposal, yet Weaver, Brown and others are also now amitting the same thing.
In my opinion, Ralph had a pretty good grasp of what the CBA was about when he voted "no" but wanted some time to be sure that his gut feelings were indeed correct before ripping Kraft/Snyder/Jones in front of the media.

Mr B
05-04-2006, 02:06 PM
All the Ralph bashing started with the media and the people who are dumb enough to believe every word of their slanted reporting.

Some of it may have been funny but what it really shows is people's lack of respect for the elderly today. Older people may be slower but they should never be considered stupid. Especially by people with half of their life experience and wisdom. Half the young kids today can't ven find New Orleans on a map.

Gunzlingr
05-04-2006, 02:26 PM
and then there were 3....

At least Ralph knows who his friends are.

The_Philster
05-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Bottom line, the owner's panicked in fear of an uncapped year, and basically would sign any agreement put in front of them.
Bingo...if I remember correctly, a bunch more were gonna vote no but decided to vote yes just to get the deal done

ICE74129
05-04-2006, 05:33 PM

And I stand by nothing has been done...YET. Yet being the operative word. IF the sharing gets evened out and ralph can sell to a new owner and the new owner get revenue sharing, I will post that I was wrong. I have done so many times so this won't be the first. But until I see the thing actually ironed out the way ralph claims it needs to be....you know my opinion on the subject.

justasportsfan
05-04-2006, 05:36 PM
And I stand by nothing has been done...YET. Yet being the operative word. IF the sharing gets evened out and ralph can sell to a new owner and the new owner get revenue sharing, I will post that I was wrong. I have done so many times so this won't be the first. But until I see the thing actually ironed out the way ralph claims it needs to be....you know my opinion on the subject.

you were wrong in judging him to quickly. PERIOD.

:peace:

ICE74129
05-04-2006, 05:42 PM
you were wrong in judging him to quickly. PERIOD.

:peace:

No I'm not.

justasportsfan
05-04-2006, 05:45 PM
No I'm not. at least Pat was man enough to admit it.

justasportsfan
05-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Phil keep sending me rep please :D

Dr. Lecter
05-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Isn't a committee to explore change a pre-requisite to change occurring?

!Papacrunk!
05-04-2006, 06:13 PM
This thread title kills me, I guess we all have our moments of clarity or lack there of

dolphan117
05-04-2006, 08:35 PM
when Ralph was interviewed on TV right after that CBA meeting , he stated that they had 45 mins. to read the new proposal. The CBA signed was not the original proposal.Thanks, people kept tossing 45 min out there and I had never heard it explained.

Turf
05-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Ralph basically singlehandedly kicked everyone's ass and did everything he could to keep football in Buffalo.