PDA

View Full Version : Post-Draft Need

patmoran2006
05-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Alright.. (Im not much in a writing mood to over-elaborate). The draft is over and the majority of us, including myself are pretty happy with the Buffalo Bills draft.

Back to reality.

I know there are no "names" out there right now, but I hope come June 1st a few big fat run-stuffing DT's are out there.

Make no mistake about it, we NEED ONE in a HUGE way. I like McCargo, I think he's going to be a lot like.. Larry Tripplett, go figure. He's NOT starting as a rookie. I expect him to be the third man in the DT rotation. NOw before we go thinking "benchwarmer" a backup DT isnt much different than a starting DT. Tripplett didnt start in Indy but had a LOT of playing time, I expect the same with McCargo this year in Buffalo.

But McCargo, Tripplett and Tim Anderson doesnt equate to stopping the run. We need a big tackle who can tie up blockers on this team still or its going to be ugly out there.

I understand the Cover Two defense pretty well. I can also tell you that opposing offenses dont give a **** what defense we're trying to run, when they can simply run all over us.

Our run defense was 29th in the NFL last year. Believe it or not, I think at least for some of the year it's going to be even worse.

I hope we sign a good run-stuffing DT before the season starts.

Every other spot on the football team that wasn't addressed I can live with for 2006. But not in this spot.

Philagape
05-03-2006, 07:35 PM
::cough cough::

Dozerdog
05-03-2006, 07:42 PM
With the CBA issues, this year they have a June 1 "exception"....basically- for this year only you can cut a guy before June 1 but still apply the cap hit after June 1.

In the past (& future) June 1 or later you will see the big salcap cuts. But because teams can dump them now and apply it later (and the new elevated cap) - I have a feeling that there won't be a huge purge of players around June 1. What you see now is pretty much what you will get

patmoran2006
05-03-2006, 07:45 PM
THere will be some players, but not many, nowhere near as many as year's past.

ANd I think it will be ESPECIALLY thin at the DT position, because frankly there werent many "starting" DT's taken in the draft who are going to flat-out oust an aging veteran (which of course is beneifical to us).

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but given the good shape we're still in right now, one move I really wish we didnt make was cutting Sam Adams.

I would have loved to have him for another year and with a great prospect like McCargo, when he came out of the game all that much wouldn't be lost.

Dozerdog
05-03-2006, 07:55 PM
We want fast DT's now, not fat DT's.

acehole
05-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I don't know pat.....I think K Williams and Tim anderson will be splitting time there they are both at 300+. ALSO WE WILL NEED A STUD MIDDLE LINBACKER that can cover a bit which L fletcher is not really. Safty in this d does support the run quite a bit here as well. So how do we plan to stop the run? I don't know people were complaining that we let a big run stuffer probowl DT go in sam adams but I guess being 29th against the run isnt to probowlish now isnt it?

Alright.. (Im not much in a writing mood to over-elaborate). The draft is over and the majority of us, including myself are pretty happy with the Buffalo Bills draft.

Back to reality.

I know there are no "names" out there right now, but I hope come June 1st a few big fat run-stuffing DT's are out there.

Make no mistake about it, we NEED ONE in a HUGE way. I like McCargo, I think he's going to be a lot like.. Larry Tripplett, go figure. He's NOT starting as a rookie. I expect him to be the third man in the DT rotation. NOw before we go thinking "benchwarmer" a backup DT isnt much different than a starting DT. Tripplett didnt start in Indy but had a LOT of playing time, I expect the same with McCargo this year in Buffalo.

But McCargo, Tripplett and Tim Anderson doesnt equate to stopping the run. We need a big tackle who can tie up blockers on this team still or its going to be ugly out there.

I understand the Cover Two defense pretty well. I can also tell you that opposing offenses dont give a **** what defense we're trying to run, when they can simply run all over us.

Our run defense was 29th in the NFL last year. Believe it or not, I think at least for some of the year it's going to be even worse.

Every other spot on the football team that wasn't addressed I can live with for 2006. But not in this spot.

G. Host
05-03-2006, 08:23 PM
I don't know pat.....I think K Williams and Tim anderson will be splitting time there they are both at 300+. ALSO WE WILL NEED A STUD MIDDLE LINBACKER that can cover a bit which L fletcher is not really. Safty in this d does support the run quite a bit here as well. So how do we plan to stop the run? I don't know people were complaining that we let a big run stuffer probowl DT go in sam adams but I guess being 29th against the run isnt to probowlish now isnt it?

How about Crow? Crow played well at end of year. I am of course hoping that Spikes comes back at full strength.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Aren't Buckner and Jackson still out there? If they don't like what they see from Anderson and Williams--and I think Williams is the guy they want for the 1 gap spot--and they look to a bigger guy, the price on those two guys (and any other FA DTs) will probably be lower than it was before the draft....

I still think that they need to get another DT as well, but it's hard to tell what they may do in terms of what kind of guy they might look to add to the group that they have now. They have talked about playing McCargo at the 1-gap on passing downs and have said that they feel that he can handle his own there as he gets stronger, so maybe they don't see the 1 gap spot as being as big of a need...I don't know.

Fletcher played in this system with the Rams and did pretty well. He's older now, but by no means over the hill. If Spikes comes back to form, they may even consider moving him to the middle down the road, with Crowell filling his shoes on the weak side.

As for adding speed at linebacker, the pick of Ellison seemed curious until I read up a little on him. He's an OLB who, as a converted safety, has safety speed. Because he's moved around, he's still raw, but I could see them keeping him as a ST player as they develop him to move into a position in the LB corps (Posey's?) next year.

Ellison's situation got me to thinking about Wire--a good ST guy, which you know Marv likes--who is too slow and poor in coverage to make it as a safety in the Cover 2, but who played LB some in college. Is it possible that they might ask him to bulk up to take a shot at making the team a LB? Even if he added 15 pounds, he would still be a pretty fast LB and would not lose much of his ST value. And, having been around awhile, he knows enough about playing in the NFL and what he'd be up against to be able to make the switch quicker than a kid coming in from college.

Captain gameboy
05-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Super fast linebacker.
Great resume until 2005.
Available. Maybe.

Ahmed Brooks. Supplemental draft.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Super fast linebacker.
Great resume until 2005.
Available. Maybe.

Is he the LB from UVa? If so, he'd be a good pick-up to groom as a replacement for Fletcher and would fit in the with the Bills' "kiddy corps" (no offense meant!) of younger players on defense that they just took in this draft.

Drive 4 Five
05-04-2006, 08:52 PM

Back to reality.

We have Tai Tupai. He's 330+ What's the problem? How do you know he isn't the proverbial "run stuffer" you're looking for? We have three tackles on our roster listed over 300 lbs. and Triplett, McCargo, and Williams are just a bit lighter. Besides, since when did it become imperative to have HUGE tackles on your team to be successful?

Take a look at Jacksonville. They have two of the best in the game in Stroud and Henderson. 312 and 328 respectively. New England's Richard Seymor is listed at 310. Tommie Harris of the Bears is listed at 300.

I think you're overreacting. As usual.

goodkarma
05-04-2006, 09:36 PM

I agree, safeties are in for lots of tackling. Whitner can takle, right?

Mahdi
05-05-2006, 12:34 AM
I dont think we will be signing any big run stuffing DTs. No Cover 2 teams in the NFL have any big run stuffing DTs, its not a requirement in this system. I think the Bills need more than anything else, a dominant DE. I think this D is one DE away from being complete.

Mahdi
05-05-2006, 12:35 AM
I agree, safeties are in for lots of tackling. Whitner can takle, right?
Both Whitner and Ko Simpson are great tacklers. I think Ko will have a shot to start.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-05-2006, 02:58 AM
Super fast linebacker.
Great resume until 2005.
Available. Maybe.

The more I think about this suggestion, the more I like it, if the Bills can get him with a third-round pick or lower.

We all realize that next season Whitner, Simpson and Youboty are going to be starting in the secondary for the Bills and that McCargo and Williams, if not starting, will be playing significant minutes in the DT rotation this year. If the Bills could add Brooks, next season Brooks and Ellison, who also has great speed, will be ready to start and/or play significant minutes and would allow the Bills to replace Posey and, perhaps, Fletcher--giving them a young corps of speedy linebackers who would fit the Cover 2.

And, by only giving up a third round pick or lower to get Brooks, the Bills would still have their top two picks (and that's not taking into consideration what they might get, if anything, for Clements) to use to fill their needs on the offensive side of the ball--regardless of what positions those might be.

That would allow that young defense to grow up as a unit, which could be augmented, as need be, with one or two key free agents.

X-Era
05-05-2006, 08:21 AM
Super fast linebacker.
Great resume until 2005.
Available. Maybe.

Love the kid, Marv wont go after a guy with bad character.

X-Era
05-05-2006, 08:27 AM

Back to reality.

I gotta disagree here.

I think the big DT's simply tie up 2 blockers. They PLUG holes. Im not so sure that if you want to stuff the run, you need big DT's. We had big DT's in Adams at least and at some level Edwards. What I remember seeing was DT's that didnt get off their blocks and RB's simply ran past them.

My point is, we are going to a fast, penetrating, type defense. Fast is the key. If our DT's have strength and athleticism to get off their block and then the closing speed to get to the holes and tackle. We may be better than last year right out of the gate.

I think what we may suffer from all over the field early is people being out of position. I think the new system will take time to learn.

But, in a way, I agree with you. Right after the draft, my first thought was what now. We have a ton of cap cash. We arent done with our offseason yet folks. Whne cuts come down and caps dry up, we still will be sitting pretty with cash.

Anyways, my first thought was to add a guy like Brenston Buckner. One more quality DT would give us a quality wave.

Speed, tackling, and athleticism is what we have now.

oldno711
05-05-2006, 08:29 AM
Super fast linebacker.
Great resume until 2005.
Available. Maybe.

I love the idea. I think he'll bounce back in a big way...he's a freak.

btw - it's Ahmad