X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

How do you feel about this team

Well now the roster is pretty much set. The staff is set. We all have an opinion about this team.

We knew the 2005 result. Do you recall what you felt about this team around this time last year, ignoring what happened afterwards?

I was hopeful. I thought Mularkay was a good coach then. I didn't like Teague and Anderson. I was not sure about Gandy. But I hoped that Losman had ability not needing a top flight OL and I thought the coaching staff saw that. I thought we had a chance of playoff.

Deep down, however, I had serious concerns about the QB switch. I was not sure Losman was ready and I believed releasing Bledsoe was a big mistake as far as playoff was concerned. I really didn't expect any contribution from the 2005 draft because we had no 1st rounder and Roscoe may not be the right guy for us.

Well 2005 turned out to be far worse than I imagined. Losman was not ready - that alone killed any chance of our playoff hope. But O-Line regressed. Both of our TEs didn't recover from previous injury and became a non factor. Moulds imploded. McGahee regressed. Most of all, our defense nose-dived: no one stepped up to replace Pat Williams; Spike hurt; Clements regressed badly. Hence the 5-11 record.

Now looking into 2006 season, my expectation is very low to start with: I don't expect a playoff season. Heck I don't even expect them to challenge for a playoff spot. But player wise I see some hope because I know we are getting younger and I know these guys will be with us for a few years. I really don't have any deep concerns like I had with last year. Instead levy gives me hope, a hope to see these young guys grow in front of my eyes.

I also like to see what the coaching staff is made of. Honestly I don't know any one of them that much.At the moment I can only trust Levy's judgement - he's one hired them all.
  • Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Re: How do you feel about this team

See my avatar. See my sig.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

I feel better now.

Losman was an unknown but Bledsoe had to go. Our Draft stunk (Parrish,Everett). I was starting to realize TD couldn't cut it as GM and knew we weren't that good, despite the 6 game winning streak in 2004. Mularkey (The Meathead) had no plan on offense and we weren't going anywhere.

I don't expect much, going into this upcoming season but at least these guys have a plan and seem to be going in the right direction. Fairchild has a plan on Offense. Fewell will run an attacking Cover 2 on D. April is still here to oversee the best ST's in the NFL. We had a draft where 5-6 players can probably help us.

Probably 1 more off-season to patch up some holes but it's getting better and I'm pleased with the progress.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SquishDaFish
        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
        • Jun 2005

I feel 100% better. We got the cancer that was ruining this team out of the front office. Now Im in the mindset of giving Marv his time of 2 years. But like Ive been saying if I dont see an improvment on the field this year showing signs of going in the right direction. Just signs of going in right direction then im done with this team.

Comment

• BFLOBILLSBURGH
          • Mar 2005

I am excited about the direction the team is headed. We are finally getting some young players in FA rather then some has beens. I like the Triplett signing. Royal and Reyes should help our run blocking and hopefully Willis shows up this year.

I do hope that Fairchild uses a backup running back more ecspecially now that we have ATrain. Hopefully there is still something left in his tank, we know he likes playing for Jauron.

As for Losman, there is no question he will play better then last year. I know he has the physical ability, just look at the first half of the Dolphins game and the Chiefs game. He played great. Just from those two games, I can see that he will be able to play in this league. I don't see anyway Fairchild or Jauron can justify using Holcomb in the new O system. JP is the only QB who can throw the ball downfield. I can't figure out why everyone doesn't see that without a running game last year, JP was going to struggle. Just look at the Steelers- as the running game goes, Ben gets better. We didn't have that last year, hopefully this year we will.

OLine- fat Mike is gone, Peters and Gandy at the tackles will be better then anything we have had in years. Fowler, Villareal and Reyes up the middle should be above avg. Lets just hope they stay healthy.

As for the D, Whitner will make an impact early, and our D Line will be better no question about it. Next year we will have to address the DE position but this year we will have to deal with what we have. I do think that we will get better as the year goes on, which is why our schedule sucks having 3 division games early. But we will still kick the Jets ass.

Everyone must realize that this team needs to win by running the ball and defense.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

There is a more rooted sense of security now than there was this time last year. My confidence in the Bills was unrealistic last year because I was grossly overconfident in Losman's ability to step right in and Mularkey's ability to be a game day coach. I'm still happy we got rid of Bledsoe, as the ultimate goal is to win a Super Bowl and we were NEVER going to win a SB with him around (glad Parcells hasn't figured that one out yet). I truly think the Spikes injury did more damage to the promise of our season than any other single factor, but we wouldn't have been much better than 9-7, even if he stayed healthy. The wins will probably not be numerous this year, but at least now I can say we are on a sound, logical path to success. It would have been a lot sounder with those extra two picks we should have had last weekend, but it still looks pretty good. For now, I'll still swear by Levy. Beats swearing by TD.

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

I was optimistic a year ago. Obviously I was wrong. I'm optimistic now, although I think we are earlier in the rebuilding process than I thought a year ago. My optimisim now is not for a great season in 2006, but hopes that finally we are moving in the right direction. There will remain a cloud over the Bills however until the team settles of a QB and that QB proves to be a winner.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Our D is much better, our coaching staff and front office are much better, and our team chemistry - with Moulds, Adams and Milloy gone - should also be much better.

We have more depth at most positions, although we are still thin at LB and DE, and we have added younger, more motivated players.

The QB situation is still unsettled, but if Levy and Jauron have some patience with JP, I think our offense will be pretty good by midseason.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

I'm glad that we have some kind of direction. Seems like there's a plan/goal in place and our staff are making moves towards that goal. TD would make moves and cross his fingers and hope for the best.

Whether or not we have the right staff (my biggest worry over having the right players) is another question.

Mikey, you should start a countdown to training camp in your sig. I can't wait to be there.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Jauron733
                    • Apr 2006

The one major thing that still has me concerned and needs to be worked out is the quarterback position. I think the main thing this year is to grow as a team and to let the quarterback grow with it. I think that can actually happen this year- but it takes a lot of guts on behalf of everyone to actually allow a qb to grow on the job. I feel as though this group has the guts for it.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                      Pinkerton's son
                      • Feb 2006

I'm sure I'll be repeating or rewording many things people have already said but thats the way forums go sometimes..

I was also extremely optimistic last year, I am an optimistic person. I had extremely high hopes for JP, and kindof still do. He hasnt done anything to show me that he is a TERRIBLE quarterback. Inexperienced, yes. That is obvious. But not terrible.

O-line - it must have been an omen last year, but when I was at the Bills Training camp kickoff party my cousin and I were leaving and saw this hulk of a man limping toward somewhere, and it was Mike Williams. I was astounded that he was hurt already. That was apparently the beginning to a disastrous year for him and, for the most part, our whole line. I believe the pickup of Reyes is our very best FA acquisition, and see our line being serviceable this year.

As GHZ said, the bills getting some younger players (players, not management, they both have one foot in the grave). Our rookies seem very promising, and its always positive for those rookies to be learning a new system at the same time as all the defensive leaders, like Vincent and Fletcher and Spikes. Our LB's arent getting any younger, but Spikes is in the prime of his career and should dominate this year. Fletcher had a good year last year and is always near the ball.

All in all, I may expect less than I did last year, but I am more upbeat because I really think I see where Levy is going with this. He definitley knows what he wants, and is building his team. I just hope he knows what hes doing, and I have every inclination to think he does.

LETS GO BUFFALO!!!

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                        • Aug 2005

I think that our season could look a lot like the Dolphins last year. Struggle for a while then pick it up towards the end of the year. This is assuming that they let JP stay in there and work through the troubles that are no doubt going to happen at first, and the young players are able to contribute as much as we all think they will. Then with a good draft next year focusing on DE, WR (Dwayne Jarrett would be nice), LB (replacement for Fletcher), OLine, and dare I say RB we could be sittin pretty with one of the best defensive backfields in the entire league. I dont know what the free agency market looks like for next year either, but with a good offseason next year we should be looking great. I really think everything hinges on JP because if he struggles we could be forced to take Brady Quinn.
                        SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

I think that the offense will be under a magnifying glass this coming year. We addressed the defense in this year's draft. Any deficiencies in the offense will be addressed in next year's draft. The QB position will be heavily evaluated, but I think McGahee will also. His play this year may determine if he ultimately stays or goes. Evans and Nance may become cornerstones on our WR corp - maybe Parrish also if he steps it up. We will also need to replace Fletcher and Posey next year. Crowell has stepped up and will probably be part of the lineup, but we may need another...but other than that, just grabbing solid players to build up and have solid depth until they are ready to play has to be the main goal of our front office.

Comment

• goodkarma
                            • Aug 2003

I think this year's team is better than last, but that doesn't mean much. In fact, I still don't see this team winning more than 2 divisional games, and not more than 4 or 5 all year. Our offensive line is a big problem, we've got so much confidence in our 1st round QB that we signed a guy the Packers cut loose after 3 years to compete for the starting spot, and the defense still has major questions (spikes?), especially at DT where we field 2 new players, one of which will be a rookie.

Comment

• CAbills
                              • Jul 2004

Is there any possibility of Crowell taking Posey's position of is Crowell just a weak side linebacker?
                              Lets Go Buffalo!
                              Boiler Up!

Comment

Working...
                              X