PDA

View Full Version : Rick Gosselin grades the draft

socalfan
05-04-2006, 03:06 AM
For those of you who like to read such stuff...enjoy. By the way Rick Gosselin generally scores in the 85% range when predicting the draft outcome of the first round.

And Ice, say what you will about the Jets draft, but Rick looks at more than the first round in grading.

Draft Grades (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/050106dnspogosselingrades.88f75981.html)

clumping platelets
05-04-2006, 03:45 AM
The Colts reached for Dwight Freeney.......I remember hearing that.......Patriots reached for Richard Seymour......I'll weigh in more about the Bills draft soon

Jan Reimers
05-04-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm amazed that one of the "experts" actually gave us a really good grade. Hope it's not the kiss of death.

Saratoga Slim
05-04-2006, 08:22 AM
only 8 teams got a "B" or better. I like this guy.

ddaryl
05-06-2006, 07:03 AM
I love this mock draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/02/16/mock.draft2.part1/index.html

Look at the #18 and #20 positions, now try finding Donte Whitners place in this mock.

nailed this one eh ?

dolphan117
05-06-2006, 03:08 PM
<TABLE class=dwsmodule cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=dwsmodule style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/sports/logos/football/circlelogo-was1.gif </TD><TD class=dwsmodule style="BORDER-RIGHT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid">Washington: (http://www.forecaster.info/dallasnews/football/draft-team.cgi?Wsh&DraftID=11) With only one pick in the first four rounds, it was tough for Washington to build up any momentum. The draft for the Redskins is just a light exercise on the calendar between Presidents Day and the Fourth of July.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Nice

Michael82
05-06-2006, 03:11 PM
The Colts reached for Dwight Freeney.......I remember hearing that.......Patriots reached for Richard Seymour......I'll weigh in more about the Bills draft soon
The Seahawks reached for Lofa Tatupu. :snicker:

dolphan117
05-06-2006, 03:11 PM
I love this mock draft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/02/16/mock.draft2.part1/index.html

Look at the #18 and #20 positions, now try finding Donte Whitners place in this mock.

nailed this one eh ?To be fair it says at the top of the page that its a pre combine mock. So much changes after the combine and pro days there almost isnt any point in doing a pre combine mock.

G. Host
05-06-2006, 03:22 PM
For those of you who like to read such stuff...enjoy. By the way Rick Gosselin generally scores in the 85% range when predicting the draft outcome of the first round.

Sounds like he is a HOMER. Since when is Dallas home to the Bills?

Billsrock4life
05-06-2006, 04:07 PM
I'm amazed that one of the "experts" actually gave us a really good grade. Hope it's not the kiss of death.

i know right, i was expecting a C or a F.

ICE74129
05-06-2006, 04:42 PM

G in all honesty, do you not realise how many Bills fans are in dallas? Tulsa? Etc? The Bills backers gathering in 03 I believe in Dallas was HUGE!

Nighthawk
05-07-2006, 03:27 PM
This was a very reasonable review of the Bills draft. I just don't believe people know how good the Bills did in the draft. Everybody will take notice a year or two from now.

socalfan
05-07-2006, 07:25 PM

Read more than just his opinion of the Bills draft. He is pretty even handed, and gives some good insight into some of the clubs (someone already pointed out Washington). In any event, he writes a sports column for the Dallas newspaper and I presume he is a Dallas Homer.

G. Host
05-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Read more than just his opinion of the Bills draft. He is pretty even handed, and gives some good insight into some of the clubs (someone already pointed out Washington). In any event, he writes a sports column for the Dallas newspaper and I presume he is a Dallas Homer.

I was being sarcastic. Some people have said that anyone thinking it was a good draft was a HOMER.

socalfan
05-07-2006, 08:25 PM
I was being sarcastic. Some people have said that anyone thinking it was a good draft was a HOMER.

Oh. Sorry, I don't get most of the sarcasm on the board.

patmoran2006
05-07-2006, 08:51 PM
I think the Bills had one of the 10 best drafts of anyteam in the league.

However, they do like it or not have the potential to have a "bust" class as well.

When your a safety with the 8th pick in the draft when many think we should have traded down, unfortunately it comes with high expectations.. and when a team trades UP back into the first round to take you a DT you're going to come with lofty expecations as well.

For the time being, I'm willing to give these two guys the benefit of the doubt because I'm a fan of both players. However, with two guys who were considered "reaches" by man, this is a very "boom or bust" draft for the Bills, IMO

socalfan
05-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I think the Bills had one of the 10 best drafts of anyteam in the league.

However, they do like it or not have the potential to have a "bust" class as well.

When your a safety with the 8th pick in the draft when many think we should have traded down, unfortunately it comes with high expectations.. and when a team trades UP back into the first round to take you a DT you're going to come with lofty expecations as well.

For the time being, I'm willing to give these two guys the benefit of the doubt because I'm a fan of both players. However, with two guys who were considered "reaches" by man, this is a very "boom or bust" draft for the Bills, IMO

What is your measurable criteria for boom and bust?

patmoran2006
05-07-2006, 09:14 PM
When you are picked higher than MOST people projected you to go, and it happens TWICE in the first round.. Then that qualifies for "Boom or Bust" criteria.

Donte Whitner being a marginal starting safety as the 8th pick instead of the middle or late first round qualifies as a "boom or bust" kind of player, just like Mike Williams did when drafted in 2002.

And before this goes any further, I have been a BIG supporter of the Bill draft this year. I like the draft as well and have defended it vigorously in print.

But even I admit that drafting Whitner at 8 and McCargo in round one (and giving up a first day pick to get him) is risky. I happen to think that both players are going to turn out just fine and if that happens where they were drafted means nothing.

BUT.. If for some reason it turns out we're wrong about the ability of these guys and a PAIR of 1st rounders turn out to do little to help the team, then that is where I get the "boom or bust" theory from.

Bling
05-07-2006, 09:24 PM
The Seahawks reached for Lofa Tatupu. :snicker:

Steelers had a steal in Roethlisbeger
Saints had a steal in Reggie Bush
New England has a steal in Wilfork
Arizona had a steal in Dockett
Arizona had a steal in Boldin
Atlanta had a steal in Schaub
Kansas City had a steak in Derrick Johnson
Miami had a steal in Chambers
Miami reached on Carey
Buffalo reached on Losman

Quit using these stupid lucky picks.... You're bound to find a couple if you got over 1500 draft picks/FA signings in the last 4 years. It's like the same idiots that say you should draft a QB in the later rounds because Brady and Montana were not 1st rounders

socalfan
05-07-2006, 09:43 PM
When you are picked higher than MOST people projected you to go, and it happens TWICE in the first round.. Then that qualifies for "Boom or Bust" criteria.

Donte Whitner being a marginal starting safety as the 8th pick instead of the middle or late first round qualifies as a "boom or bust" kind of player, just like Mike Williams did when drafted in 2002.

And before this goes any further, I have been a BIG supporter of the Bill draft this year. I like the draft as well and have defended it vigorously in print.

But even I admit that drafting Whitner at 8 and McCargo in round one (and giving up a first day pick to get him) is risky. I happen to think that both players are going to turn out just fine and if that happens where they were drafted means nothing.

BUT.. If for some reason it turns out we're wrong about the ability of these guys and a PAIR of 1st rounders turn out to do little to help the team, then that is where I get the "boom or bust" theory from.

I believe my question wasn't clear. Let me try again. In three years when looking back at this draft how do I know if you would consider it a boom? How would I know that you would consider it a bust. What is your criteria for making the decision?

I have never heard of a draft being a boom or bust, just a player. So, I am asking you what defines a boom draft and a bust draft.