• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buffarama
    Football-Sport of the Gods
    • Jul 2002

Penquins Salary Dump

This move is an even stronger indication of what trouble the NHL is in. Bettman should lock everyone out next year.
    Pittsburgh probably has less chance of surviving than Buffalo, especially with a 40 year old arena. Who in their right mind would build a new NHL arena at this point in time?
    Add in Ottawa's plight. Add in the other half dozen teams up for sale. Add in a 40 million dollar loss in St Louis. Add in the Islanders tremendous debt.
    Now look at league attendance. The end of a weak TV contract.
    Short of a complete restructuring and lockout of players, and breaking of the players union, along with a serious dump of player salary and ticket prices the league won't survive.
    The only alternative to that is severe contraction of 7-8 teams.
    And even at that, the game rules and inconsistent officiating has to be addressed.
    I really don't see any of these things happening. The players union is too stubborn. I think the league will fold.
    Quite frankly, I think you may see a new league forming as the only way to save the game.
  • Earthquake Enyart
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2002

Pittsburgh dumped $7.5 mil of salary for $2 mil and got $4 mil in cash. A $9.5 mil swing for their budget.

I wonder if next year Mario will trade himself.
    Last edited by Earthquake Enyart; 02-11-2003, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X