PDA

View Full Version : SI.com: McCargo a good fit

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2006, 12:00 PM
4. John McCargo, DT, Buffalo: For all those critics who have been skewering Bills general manager Marv Levy for picking McCargo 26th overall, think about this: A lot of teams thought McCargo was the third-best defensive tackle in the draft after Ngata and Brodrick Bunkley. The Bills need a quick, penetrating defensive tackle to fit into their new, attacking defensive system, and that's what McCargo does well. Like Ngata, he'll be playing with plenty of talent around him in the front seven, and that will only help his development.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jeffri_chadiha/05/03/draft.luck/index.html

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-04-2006, 12:04 PM
I think McCargo is the player I am most interested in seeing in the preseason.

If he is a solid player, I would feel much better about our defense as a whole.

EDS
05-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I think McCargo is the player I am most interested in seeing in the preseason.

If he is a solid player, I would feel much better about our defense as a whole.

Agreed. McCargo, Anderson or Williams need to step up big time in order to insure that the interior of the defense does not get abused.

jmb1099
05-04-2006, 12:25 PM
What??? This guy is awful! We reached! Espn hates him! I've never seen him play so I hate him! He sucks! We're doomed! SI is nothing but a hack magazine! I can't believe you posted this! McCargo is the end of our team being in buffalo! Its all Marv's fault, he's even responsible for global warming. Damn! Daaaaaammmmmnnnnnnn!
Just thought I'd prepare you for the responses that are coming to this thread that haven't arrived yet. I am excited to see this guy play. Good find MM

The last buffalo fan
05-04-2006, 12:36 PM
excelente!! :bf1: Bravo sensei!!! :up:

BigZ
05-04-2006, 12:57 PM
What??? This guy is awful! We reached! Espn hates him! I've never seen him play so I hate him! He sucks! We're doomed! SI is nothing but a hack magazine! I can't believe you posted this! McCargo is the end of our team being in buffalo! Its all Marv's fault, he's even responsible for global warming. Damn! Daaaaaammmmmnnnnnnn!
Just thought I'd prepare you for the responses that are coming to this thread that haven't arrived yet. I am excited to see this guy play. Good find MM

:roflmao:

:beers:

bigbub2352
05-04-2006, 01:03 PM
i think McCargo is gonna be a solid prospect, as well as williams, i wouldnt mind seeing Tim Anderson gone and maybe grabbing a vet DT i really think Timmy is a bum i played alot of ball in my life and never did i see someone on there back more often than him, i hope i am wrong but it would be nice to have a steady defensive tackle vet steadying the youngsters

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2006, 01:04 PM
I have never spoken up since after the draft, because I did not want to let my initial reaction due to pre-draft hype and expectations affect my opinion of the draft. After letting a few days pass by to cool down and evaluate objectively, I've come to these conclusions.

1. We did reach on Whitner at #8.

Not that he's not a good player, or that we don't want him. But at #8 with Leinhart still on the board, we could've traded down a few spots and still get Whitner, raking in an extra pick in the 3rd round or something, anything would've been better than nothing.

On the other hand, even if we did reach for Whitner, we got a player we really wanted. So maybe I did pay a little more for a DVD at Suncoast than I could've at Walmart, but at the end of the day I got exactly what I wanted. I could care less about the extra two bucks I spent on it.

2. Trading up for McCargo was a brilliant move.

Knowing what we know now, McCargo would not have been there in the second round. We had an extra 3rd anyway so why not trade up to grab a guy whom we think fits in our new Cover-2 scheme.

3. Youboty, Simpson, and Williams were great value.

These guys were all projected to be at least 2nd rounders. When they fell to us there's no way we'd pass on them.

4. The Left Tackle spot worries me.

Brad Butler played across from D'Brick, so his numbers could be skewed. But then again it could be the McCargo and Mario/Lawson argument, that because he's that good, D'Brick got less attention and padded numbers. But regardless of who's starting at LT, Gandy or Butler or others, I'm not convinced we have this problem solved just yet.

Those are just my thoughts. :miyagi:

Mahdi
05-04-2006, 01:06 PM
What I find amazing is that he tallied 35 tackles, 10 TFL, and a sack in just six games in his last year. Those are good stats for an entire NFL season.

Nighthawk
05-04-2006, 07:07 PM
People are starting to realize that the Bills had a very good draft and are giving them their due props. I can't wait to see this defense next year...should be an improvement over the slop we watched last year. Good job by the Bills!

HHURRICANE
05-04-2006, 07:54 PM
4. The Left Tackle spot worries me.

Brad Butler played across from D'Brick, so his numbers could be skewed. But then again it could be the McCargo and Mario/Lawson argument, that because he's that good, D'Brick got less attention and padded numbers. But regardless of who's starting at LT, Gandy or Butler or others, I'm not convinced we have this problem solved just yet.

Ohhh, I'm with you here!!

patmoran2006
05-04-2006, 07:58 PM
I'll make this real easy for you.
Butler is NOT starting.. Unless Gandy gets hurt or McFarland shocks the hell out of the Bills, Gandy is starting at LT in 2006.

he wasnt that bad in 2005.. the problem is, I dont think he has much upside either.

LT will be our top priority next year, along with QB depending on how this season plays out.

YardRat
05-04-2006, 08:01 PM
I think the Bills like Gandy and are willing to stick with him unless someone infinitely better becomes available.

If he's good enough for Mouse, he's good enough for me.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-05-2006, 05:20 AM
Excellent find, Mr.Miyagi! Good article. I've got to pos rep you for that...

:roflmao: I'd pos rep you twice for this if I could!!!

I'll make this real easy for you.
Butler is NOT starting.. Unless Gandy gets hurt or McFarland shocks the hell out of the Bills, Gandy is starting at LT in 2006.

he wasnt that bad in 2005.. the problem is, I dont think he has much upside either.

LT will be our top priority next year, along with QB depending on how this season plays out.

You hit the nail on the head again, Pat.

Offense will be the top priority next off-season. Depending on what happens with Losman and/or Nall this season, QB may or may not be a priority. Offensive line certainly will be. If they sign Peters to an extension and move him to left tackle, they may not look to take someone as high there, but they will be drafting an offensive lineman early I believe. I think they would have gone for an offensive lineman this year if they had not had to trade up for McCargo and Youboty and Simpson weren't still on the board in the 3rd and 4th rounds like they were. According to Chris Brown's blog on BB.com, it appears that they were looking at K.Boothe, but Oakland grab him just before the Bills would have. I don't think they will let that happen next year because they won't be as tempted to go for defense if the grades are even or close when picking offensive line or a defensive player.