PDA

View Full Version : SI Quarterback Controversies

Gunzlingr
05-04-2006, 03:03 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0605/gallery.qbs/content.9.html

The Bills used a first-round pick on Losman in 2004, so they want to see him succeed. But the former Tulane star hasn't gotten the job done, so the 32-year-old Holcomb and Nall, a former Packer, will get a shot. Look for this battle to go deep into training camp, with the possibility of a three-way shuffle lasting into the regular season.

STAMPY
05-04-2006, 03:07 PM
competition is good. it brings out the best in everything. competition is good for business. It will bring out the best or worst in JP. Im all for it. If he can't beat out kelly or nall. it speaks volumes

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I don't understand why so many people jump on JP's throat for "not getting the job done." He spent the first year on the bench, and 8 games in the second year. How much time has he had to "get the job done"? No one ever jumped on Eli Manning when he went 1-10 in his first 11 games. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
05-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I don't understand why so many people jump on JP's throat for "not getting the job done." He spent the first year on the bench, and 8 games in the second year. How much time has he had to "get the job done"? No one ever jumped on Eli Manning when he went 1-10 in his first 11 games. :rolleyes:

because no one pays attention to Buffalo. All these people know is that JP was the starter at the beginning of the season, he only won like 2 games, and the Bills finished 5-11. The fact that the coaches mismanaged the situation and the rest of the team sucked is completely lost on people who didn't actually pay attention.

Of course, for some reason it never occurred to them to not comment on something they don't know jack **** about.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-04-2006, 03:39 PM
While I agree we haven't given JP a complete opportunity to succeed, 8 games is a healthy dose of playing time. The issue was that JP regressed in the three games following the opener. Overthrowing horribly. Making horrible reads. Not looking like a NFL QB. He didn't show signs of improvement from week to week. In the second half of the year, we couldn't make a judgement because it was musical QBs.

That said, my main beef with the QB competition this year is that the competition is not quality.

One more thing. If you think Giants fans weren't calling for Eli to be pulled after 3 or 4 games, you are flat out wrong. The difference is NY had a strong willed, smart, tenured head coach who didn't yield to the fans and media.
If JP had been given 16 games under center, the franchise would be in much better shape right now. I don't care if Mularkey was being pressured by TD or Ralph or whoever....he should have had the stones and smarts to stick with JP no matter what. He set back JP's development more than just 8 games. Let's just hope the damage is not irreversible.

STAMPY
05-04-2006, 03:43 PM
theres a difference between playing bad, taking your bumps

and throwing for less than 120 yards. That is disgusting.

justasportsfan
05-04-2006, 03:48 PM
He set back JP's development more than just 8 games. Let's just hope the damage is not irreversible.

I can see Marv uttering all his famous quotes like "where would you rather be..." to try and give JP new motivation and JP going "WTF , wish I was w/ Farve"

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
If we hadn't drafted JP that year, we could've been:

1. Still stuck with Drew (no future) :ill:
2. Drafted Matt Schaub that year :naughty:
3. Drafted Aaron Rodgers last year :ill:
4. Starting Craig Nall. :coocoo:

I'm still willing to give JP a chance. :miyagi:

Michael82
05-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Look for this battle to go deep into training camp, with the possibility of a three-way shuffle lasting into the regular season.

I really REALLY hate the sound of this. It sounds like another Mularkey type blunder. :ill:

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2006, 04:21 PM
It isn't going to happen. Jauron will decide on one guy and stick to him throughout the season.

Just look at Cade McNown. :ill:

Hamilton Billsfan
05-04-2006, 04:28 PM
If we hadn't drafted JP that year, we could've been:

1. Still stuck with Drew (no future)
2. Drafted Matt Schaub that year
3. Drafted Aaron Rodgers last year
4. Starting Craig Nall.

I'm still willing to give JP a chance.

Well Said!

The last buffalo fan
05-04-2006, 04:30 PM
While I agree we haven't given JP a complete opportunity to succeed, 8 games is a healthy dose of playing time. The issue was that JP regressed in the three games following the opener. Overthrowing horribly. Making horrible reads. Not looking like a NFL QB. He didn't show signs of improvement from week to week. In the second half of the year, we couldn't make a judgement because it was musical QBs.

That said, my main beef with the QB competition this year is that the competition is not quality.

One more thing. If you think Giants fans weren't calling for Eli to be pulled after 3 or 4 games, you are flat out wrong. The difference is NY had a strong willed, smart, tenured head coach who didn't yield to the fans and media.
If JP had been given 16 games under center, the franchise would be in much better shape right now. I don't care if Mularkey was being pressured by TD or Ralph or whoever....he should have had the stones and smarts to stick with JP no matter what. He set back JP's development more than just 8 games. Let's just hope the damage is not irreversible.

No way Jose!!!!. He faced nothing but good defenses. I like KH, but as a backup plan. I don't know nothing about the packer one, Nall. JP was fine, we were the *****es.

Michael82
05-04-2006, 04:32 PM
It isn't going to happen. Jauron will decide on one guy and stick to him throughout the season.

Just look at Cade McNown. :ill:
:rofl: I hope he does, but I don't think it's his MO.

Remember the Bears? Since when did they stick with a QB? Cade McNown....Jim Miller....Shane Matthews :ill:

Michael82
05-04-2006, 04:33 PM
I just hope that Kelly Holcomb really pisses the coaches off and gets cut during Training Camp. :ill:

Gunzlingr
05-04-2006, 04:44 PM
:rofl: I hope he does, but I don't think it's his MO.

Remember the Bears? Since when did they stick with a QB? Cade McNown....Jim Miller....Shane Matthews :ill:

Injuries had a lot to do with that if I remember correctly.

ICE74129
05-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Here is the deal...

It takes about 30 games for a QB to 'develop'. Walsh said It I think and Brian Billick said the same thing a few months ago (saying he got it from walsh...I THINK).

8 games isn't SH@#. Sorry, no. Esp when in game 2 you were yanked for a series or two and the same in game 3. The Playcalling sucked, the OL sucked, the Defense couldn't stop a pack of malnourished Girl scouts.

JP was mishandled all season long. They tried to 'win now' but didn't have the horses to do so while still trying to develop a QB. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

This QB battle won't last past the 2nd game of preseason. DJ, Marv and Fairchild all know rotating QB's doesn't work. Like Gunz said, DJ in Chicago and his QB rotation mostly came from injuries.

From Marvs pre draft comments I THINK JP is the guy they want to win this. Will he? Who knows? But I think Marv, DJ and Fairchild thinks he has the best physical tools needed to make this offense run.

It is up to JP. Be a leader, be so damn good you win the job outright. The only caviot is we read how Holcomb got the meat of the snaps in the first camp. That won't fly if they want to have an 'honest' QB competition.

We go into the season with Holcomb as the starter... we WILL Be drafting in the top 3.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Good post, ICE. I agree with you on this.

I've noticed a bit of a change in Marv's comments and DJ's comments about the QB situation since they first took over--a subtle change, but a significant one.

If you listen to their early comments, they really seemed concerned about the QB situation and sounded like they felt that the situation was dire. Even after Nall was signed, they were talking about the three QBs competing and one of them having to step forward, etc., but it didn't sound like they were convinced that they had "their man"--someone who could do what they felt was needed from the position. But, if you listened to Marv's comments immediately pre- and post-draft, he actually said in one of his press conferences that they already have their "man" on the roster and now it's just up to him to step up and that the competition will hopefully make him better.

That tells me that they saw what they want in one of the three QBs during the recent mini-camp and they are just looking for the guy who has that to step up and show it. I don't think they would put it that way if the guy that they were talking about was Holcomb, which means that it is either Losman or Nall. And, I'd put my money on it being JP--again because of the way that it was said. They kind of knew what they were getting when they signed Nall because DJ had seen him when he was with Detroit and Chicago. But, they didn't really know what they had in Losman, just what they had heard and perhaps seen on film. Now, they have had a chance to see JP working in mini-camp and had a chance to see what he brings to the table physically. Now, he's got to step up and, hopefully, the competition will not only make him do that, but motivate him to get better--but that's what Marv is saying, in almost exactly those words, which is what makes me come to the same conclusion as ICE. I think that Marv and DJ want JP Losman to being their QB, but it is going to be up to him to demonstrate that he can do it.

As far as his performance last year goes, I just do not feel that he was given a chance to succeed--by the coaches or some of his teammates. I don't think that will be a problem this year because this is a very different front office and coaching staff and the players in the lockerroom know that undercutting a teammate won't go unpunished. And, JP will have to win the job from the competition that he will be getting in camp--so he won't be getting the "free ride" that bothered some of the players last year.

Now, JP is going to have to get the job done. And, it would not surprise me if he gets benched if he doesn't. But, I think they will give him every chance to succeed and, if they do need to bench him because he struggles, they will take the first opportunity to get him back in the lineup if he bounces back in practice and his replacement struggles. But, I think that he is the one that they want to see succeed if he possibly can.

If JP can show enough to make it through a full season, he may still struggle, but he will be getting close to that point when suddenly the "light bulb goes on" for a young QB and the good ones start to "get it" (which is an experience that a number of NFL QBs have described happening for them over the years). Because his development was stunted by injury as a rookie and mishandling last year, that may not happen for JP this season, but he still has to show that he can step up and continue to improve enough to merit being a starting QB in the NFL--enough to be in a position to finally "get it" when the time comes (usually around that 30 game mark that ICE mentioned).

If that doesn't hapen for Losman (or Nall) the Bills almost certainly WILL be drafting a QB next year, if they don't sign one as a free agent.

ddaryl
05-05-2006, 06:05 AM
It may take JP a few more years. Some just take more time.

I'm hopin Nall or JP can win this battle and leave little doubt. I like Holcomb, but not as our starter, he just doesn't have the arm.

If Nall wins it then JP can be groomed for another year or even 2,and it could make all the difference. The question is how impatient are the fans, I feel the coaching staff will play the JP card for at least 2 more years. His contract numbers are not that large, and JP can be kept and allowed to develope slowly if Marv and Co. deem it worthwhile to do so.

I support the patience angle when it comes to JP.

TacklingDummy
05-05-2006, 07:34 AM
theres a difference between playing bad, taking your bumps

and throwing for less than 120 yards. That is disgusting.

How about throwing for less then 76 yards in back to back games?

TacklingDummy
05-05-2006, 07:39 AM
The fact that the coaches mismanaged the situation and the rest of the team sucked is completely lost on people who didn't actually pay attention.

I disagree about the rest of the team sucking.

If the Bills could of got good QB play out of the QB position they could of easily of beaten Tampa, New Orleans, Miami, NE, Carolina, Jets.

11-5 looks alot better then 5-11.

ICE74129
05-05-2006, 08:05 AM
It may take JP a few more years. Some just take more time.

I'm hopin Nall or JP can win this battle and leave little doubt. I like Holcomb, but not as our starter, he just doesn't have the arm.

If Nall wins it then JP can be groomed for another year or even 2,and it could make all the difference. The question is how impatient are the fans, I feel the coaching staff will play the JP card for at least 2 more years. His contract numbers are not that large, and JP can be kept and allowed to develope slowly if Marv and Co. deem it worthwhile to do so.

I support the patience angle when it comes to JP.

I agree with you a ton D, but not on this one. it is a make or break year for JP. Either he wins it or they will move him next offseason and draft a guy to develop behind Nall. Ralph, Marv and DJ just aren't going to wait.

That said, I feel JP has apperantly shown them something these last couple of months because as LTBF pointed out, Marv has definately changed his tone.

I remember something leading up to the draft about protecting our YOUNG QB's, letting the YOUNG guys feel more comfortable in the pocket or something like that. Holecum (yeah that was on purpose) isn't 'young'. He will be 34 this year and WAY on the downside in his career. Hell his skills have regressed since coming over from Cleveland. Marv and co arn't turning this team over to him. If they do, they guarantee losses and a loss in ticket sales.

I feel it's JP's to lose.