PDA

View Full Version : My review of the 2006 Off season so far (and 2007 outlook)...

OpIv37
05-04-2006, 03:11 PM
This will be long but I'll try to sum it up at the end. I considered doing this by position but it seems to me that it would be easier on a move-by-move basis.

FO Moves:
Marv Levy, GM- losing TD was a good thing. Marv knows football but has never been a GM and has been out of the game for almost a decade (plus he's 80).
Dick Jauron, Coach- Mularkey had to go but Jauron has a losing record. This is a questionable move- the upside is that he has HC experience, unlike the last two morons
Perry Fewell, DC- knows the Cover 2, never been DC before.
Fairchild, OC- depends who you ask. I don't know what to make of this move.

Bills lost:
Justin Bannan- Not a contributor
Ron Edwards- Not a contributor
Sam Adams- I'm 50/50 on this one- Adams had attitude problems but still has a couple good years left, plus we're short on DT's. (if McCargo can start, I'm OK with this)
Lawyer Milloy- Old and lost a step. Not a huge deal
Eric Moulds- good or bad, it had to be done. I'm not sure that we have a true #1 receiver, but I can't hold Moulds' departure against Marv.

I can't think of any other starters/contributors that we lost. On the whole, this wasn't so bad- losing Moulds and Adams could be problematic if no one steps up, but neither one was on their game last year and I just don't see it being a huge concern. We're probably better off with the cap money.

Franchised:
Nate Clements, but he still hasn't signed the franchise tender. I'm sick of his **** and would like to see what we can get for him- at the same time we don't have anyone good enough to replace him. The franchise tag was the lesser of two evils.

Bills re signed:
Terrence McGee and Angelo Crowell (this was actually during the season last year but both GREAT moves IMO)
Ryan Denney- WTF?
Josh Reed- again, WTF?

The good news about the Denney and Reed contracts is that they're backloaded, so if they don't perform they don't get much money. And Reed is almost a necessary evil because he's the only possession receiver we have. I really don't have a lot of faith in either of these guys- they're potential that's never been reached.

Free Agent Signings:
Aaron Gibson- a gamble but a cheap one. I don't expect much but at least he adds experienced depth to a shaky line.
Fowler- definitely an upgrade over Teague
Larry Tripplett- great signing, best DT on the team
Robert Royal- should help the O a little
Matt Bowens- IMO more of a ST signing than a defensive one- expect contributions on ST but not as a S.
Tutan Reyes- a stack of old tires would be an improvement over Bennie Anderson, plus he's cheap.
Davis- I really don't know about this one, but he's a vet presence now that Moulds is gone.
Peerless Price- again, WTF? I don't expect much out of him, but again, he's cheap
A-Train- an improvement over Shaud.
Craig Nall- I guess it doesn't hurt to have him, but I really don't see what the FO is trying to accomplish here. It just makes no sense.

Fowler, Reyes, Tripplett and Royal should definitely contribute. Price and Gibson are obvious gambles.

Draft:
I'm starting to think I may have overreacted to these picks a little, but I'm still not thrilled with this draft. S is a bigger need than most of us realized and Marv wanted McCargo and did what was necessary to get him- but taking a S at 8 and losing a pick to get McCargo may not have been the best way to manage the draft. I'm also still concerned about the OL, which was neglected until the 5th round.

So, to sum up:
RB's: Improved marginally with the addition of A-train
QB's: Added Nall but no difference here- It's all on JP
WR's: Lots of speed- someone has to step up and be a true #1, Reed signing questionable
TE's: Royal and the return of Everett should improve this unit- depends on how Fairchild uses them
OL: Bolstered with two decent FA signings and a few late draft picks- still needs depth- marginally improved but I'm not completely sold on it yet

ST- there is no reason for concern on this unit- it will be the same as last year

DL- If Tripplett and McCargo can start next to each other, this unit will be markedly improved. Otherwise, it's the same **** as last year. It's dependent on a rookie, which makes me nervous
LB- Spikes return should bolster this unit
DB's- depends if Clements is in camp and if Whitner can start. Influx of rookies should add depth if nothing else.

Coaching- big ? with Jauron. I'm nervous about this.

Bottom Line:
IF....
JP plays up to his potential AND
one of the WR's steps up AND
Jauron is as good as Marv thinks he is AND
our First Round draft picks can start and contribute from Day 1 AND
the off-season moves bolstered the OL AND
TKO is 85% or better AND
Clements returns to his old form AND
the team doesn't suffer too much from learning a new system AND
some of the questionable signings like Reed, Denney, Price or Gibson pay off,
this team will have a good season.

But that's a lot to ask. Some of those things will happen, but probably not enough to get this team winning.

Captain gameboy
05-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I have no problem with the Jauron move. I think he's a sleeper who had no real chance in Chicago.

I would like the "interim" tag to be put on Marv.

I think this franchise needs youth and energy.
I don't want Marv to run the 2007 draft, and absolutely not the 2008 draft.

He had a nice run as head coach, but it wasn't good enough given the talent.
GM is not a reward position, they have gold watches for that.

I don't think he has anything to give that a lot of other, younger execs don't have.

OpIv37
05-04-2006, 03:20 PM
I have no problem with the Jauron move. I think he's a sleeper who had no real chance in Chicago.

I would like the "interim" tag to be put on Marv.

I think this franchise needs youth and energy.
I don't want Marv to run the 2007 draft, and absolutely not the 2008 draft.

He had a nice run as head coach, but it wasn't good enough given the talent.
GM is not a reward position, they have gold watches for that.

I don't think he has anything to give that a lot of other, younger execs don't have.

if that's the case, hopefully it's someone inside. The fans don't have the patience to live through another change of direction with a new GM.

Captain gameboy
05-04-2006, 03:24 PM
if that's the case, hopefully it's someone inside. The fans don't have the patience to live through another change of direction with a new GM.

Sure they do, as long as it gives the impression of continuity, which, given Marv's class, he could certainly ensure.

A nice PR press conference with him announcing a younger replacement whom he has recommended and approved of is just what the org needs.

It could be sold as his viewpoint in a new generation of NFL exec.
Like a mini-Marv.

We need the office to get younger, and sooner rather than later.

justasportsfan
05-04-2006, 03:38 PM
OP, Tripplett is not a DE. typo.

OpIv37
05-04-2006, 03:40 PM
OP, Tripplett is not a DE. typo.

thanks, fixed

Vanilla Thunder
05-04-2006, 03:40 PM
i realy like the signing of a-train. i think marv looked like an old fool on draft day but i hope i am wrong about that

OpIv37
05-04-2006, 03:51 PM
i realy like the signing of a-train. i think marv looked like an old fool on draft day but i hope i am wrong about that

the draft filled some holes, but through reach picks and questionable management. It can also be argued that those weren't the biggest holes on this team.

If both McCargo and Whitner can start and contribute this season, then Marv was right. Right now, the draft was questionable to say the least....

Drive 4 Five
05-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Op. This team has improved. You said this several times thoughout your post. Granted the improvement is marginal at best but the good news is we have an infusion of young talent to look forward to with this year's draft crop, and we are in great cap shape. And we know there are players on this team that have yet to live up to their full potential. What more do you want? There is only so much you can correct in one season.

There is no way anyone can predict at this point what all the change in front office and player personnel will be bring, but we will have a good insight into this before this season is finished. Until then we will have to wait and see. The slate is clean. This is a brand new start and you have got to be excited about that.

YardRat
05-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I think Nall's going to end up being the starter.

Drive 4 Five
05-04-2006, 08:30 PM
I think Nall's going to end up being the starter.

Possibly. Have you seen anything that would give you that indication or are you just making assumptions?

BAM
05-04-2006, 08:37 PM
NALL boiiiiiii!

Good post OpIv. I printed it out and read it while I took a smash.

YardRat
05-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Possibly. Have you seen anything that would give you that indication or are you just making assumptions?

Not an assumption...rather a semi-educated guess. I may change my opinion when mini-camps and training camp gets under way and all three get to perform under similar circumstances with the same set of teammates.

If Marv and Jauron were sold on JP, they wouldn't have felt the need to bring in another QB and tell him he had a shot to compete for the starting spot. Same with Holcomb. Buffalo had a pretty good situation in the QB department...a young, physically-talented first rounder with a boat load of potential and a proven veteran back-up type. All you need to round out the position is a serviceable third-stringer to carry the clipboard on game day and get some reps in practice so the others can rest their arms.

The simple fact alone that they felt compelled to bring in another QB is damning enough, but add to it the reality that Nall is more of a pocket passer than a scrambler indicates what type of QB the new regime wants under center.

Take Mike Gandy at LT, for example. Apparently Marv, Dick, and Mouse are comfortable with Gandy starting, so they neglected to bring in any LT's of significance to 'compete' with him for his job.

Nall wasn't signed just to be a third stringer or camp fodder.

OpIv37
05-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Op. This team has improved. You said this several times thoughout your post. Granted the improvement is marginal at best but the good news is we have an infusion of young talent to look forward to with this year's draft crop, and we are in great cap shape. And we know there are players on this team that have yet to live up to their full potential. What more do you want? There is only so much you can correct in one season.

There is no way anyone can predict at this point what all the change in front office and player personnel will be bring, but we will have a good insight into this before this season is finished. Until then we will have to wait and see. The slate is clean. This is a brand new start and you have got to be excited about that.

I think there have been some good offseason moves and some very questionable off-season moves. I don't think there is an area of the team where we've clearly gotten worse, but I'm not sure if the improvement is enough. Despite some questionable signings, I think for the most part this team may have started down the right path.

Jauron still concerns me though, just based on his record in Chicago. The new coaching staff and JP are the really big ?'s that make me nervous. OL and DL have improved- it's just a question of whether or not it's enough.

billsburgh
05-04-2006, 11:24 PM
From what I've read so far, Jauron is highly regarded by alot of players that have played under him in the past. Just because he has been a head coach before, it has to be somewhat of an improvement over dumbass Mularkey.

justasportsfan
05-05-2006, 09:35 AM
If Marv and Jauron were sold on JP, they wouldn't have felt the need to bring in another QB and tell him he had a shot to compete for the starting spot. .My guess is, he wants another Kelly-Reich qb situation. Both were young and complimented each other and grew to learn the system together. KH is gonna be gone soon (guess). Too old unless he flourishes like Gannon did in his old age in the NFl. I doubt it though.

Drive 4 Five
05-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Not an assumption...rather a semi-educated guess. I may change my opinion when mini-camps and training camp gets under way and all three get to perform under similar circumstances with the same set of teammates.

If Marv and Jauron were sold on JP, they wouldn't have felt the need to bring in another QB and tell him he had a shot to compete for the starting spot. Same with Holcomb. Buffalo had a pretty good situation in the QB department...a young, physically-talented first rounder with a boat load of potential and a proven veteran back-up type. All you need to round out the position is a serviceable third-stringer to carry the clipboard on game day and get some reps in practice so the others can rest their arms.

The simple fact alone that they felt compelled to bring in another QB is damning enough, but add to it the reality that Nall is more of a pocket passer than a scrambler indicates what type of QB the new regime wants under center.

Take Mike Gandy at LT, for example. Apparently Marv, Dick, and Mouse are comfortable with Gandy starting, so they neglected to bring in any LT's of significance to 'compete' with him for his job.

Nall wasn't signed just to be a third stringer or camp fodder.

I agree that Nall was not brought onboard simply to be camp fodder. Levy made it quite clear he likes what Nall brings to the table.

Where I disagree is the notion that he was brought in because of the lack of faith in Losman. That is purely speculation on your part.

That is how you handle a young QB. You don't just hand the job to him. He has to earn it and you bring guys in to push him.

Drive 4 Five
05-05-2006, 02:40 PM
I think there have been some good offseason moves and some very questionable off-season moves. I don't think there is an area of the team where we've clearly gotten worse, but I'm not sure if the improvement is enough. Despite some questionable signings, I think for the most part this team may have started down the right path.

Jauron still concerns me though, just based on his record in Chicago. The new coaching staff and JP are the really big ?'s that make me nervous. OL and DL have improved- it's just a question of whether or not it's enough.

I wouldn't worry about Jauron being the right coach for this team. Not at all. If Levy thinks he can be the man to lead this team upward then I'll settle for it. Levy knows a thing or two about coaching. Donahoe apparently does/did not. We're talking about the guy who wanted to run off Bill Cower and instead ended up signing his own walking papers.

When you say that you are not sure that the improvement is enough I agree. Of course it isn't enough. How can it be? This is going to take some time no matter how sick we are of having a losing team. If you have this expectation that we could string together 9 or 10 wins you're going to be sorely disappointed. 6 or 7 wins is more likely.

You said it yourself, we made a little improvement and you think we're headed down the right path. My friend that will just have to do. In the meantime you really have to change this negative outlook. It's not good for you and it isn't good for the rest of us.