PDA

View Full Version : Decision on Peerless may go to the wire

Dozerdog
02-11-2003, 08:16 AM
[Buffalo News] By the end of next week, wide receiver Peerless Price might have an idea if he has a future with the Buffalo Bills. The free agent-to-be is waiting to see if the Bills will designate him as their franchise or transition player. The Bills have until Feb. 20 to decide. Each tag is expensive. A franchise player is guaranteed the average one-year salary of the top five players at his position in the NFL. A transition player gets the average of the top 10 players at his position for one season. That means Price would get $5.01 million if the Bills franchised him or $4.53 million under the transition agreement.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030211/1019290.asp

lordofgun
02-11-2003, 08:53 AM
I haven't heard Peerless whining about the possibility of being tagged. I'm surprised about that. Or maybe he knows something we don't.

The Natrix
02-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I haven't heard Peerless whining about the possibility of being tagged. I'm surprised about that. Or maybe he knows something we don't.

a tag shows that the franchise thinks a lot about you, so I don't know why he would whine.

lordofgun
02-11-2003, 09:51 AM
A lot of players whine about being tagged.

The Natrix
02-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
A lot of players whine about being tagged.

but this is DA BILLS that we are talking about, not some crappy franchise!

Romes
02-11-2003, 11:03 AM
there are a ton of promising quotes from Price in this article.

"I'm optimistic," Price said Monday by phone at his offseason home in Atlanta. "I like playing in Buffalo and I definitely want to stay if everything can be worked out."

"I don't see [the franchise tag] as a negative," Price said. "The only way it's negative is if they do it to be spiteful, and I don't think that would be the case. I think it would show that they really want me back."

"Being the main guy is not a priority," he said. "When the Pro Bowl team came out and I wasn't on it, yeah, I was upset. No doubt about it. But I got over it quick. I just think everything will work itself out. I know if come back and do the same things and stay consistent, I'll be in the Pro Bowl."

Those are all very optimistic and make it sound like he will stay. However, there are a few disconcerning quotes in the article.

"I'm always optimistic," McGee said about negotiations with Buffalo in a Washington Post story about the Redskins' potential interest in Price. "But I think he'll be on the market."

"With Spurrier there, with the type of personality that he has and his type of play-calling, you'd look at it very closely," McGee told the Washington Post. "Although it's premature at this time, I would think that would be one of the places that would be ideal for (Peerless). It's definitely one of the places he'd look at seriously."

Make your own judgements about these.

"I wouldn't want to go out on the open market, but as it gets closer and closer it's becoming more of a reality," Price said. "It's more a feeling of uncertainty than excitement because you don't know what's going to happen."

"We'll just see what happens. If I'm back in Buffalo next year, I'll be very happy. If I have to go somewhere else, I'll look forward to a new challenge. I just want to play, win games and have fun."

I think Price said the right things. His comment on the Pro Bowl is very relevant to the complaints many people had against him. On the other hand just by reading the article I already don't like his agent.

Mr. Miyagi
02-11-2003, 12:15 PM
I say franchise tag him. If he won't sign a long term deal that we put on the table for him, trade him away for 2 first round picks.

HotRod
02-11-2003, 08:59 PM
I like his pro bowl comment. After all, we know that the Super Bowl is much more important than the pro bowl.

PA Season Ticket Holder
02-11-2003, 10:01 PM
The agents could care less where the player ends up. They are looking for the biggest payday so they can get a bigger cut.

You would think the player works for the agent by the sound of them. Some athletes don't even need them. Once you're a star, you should be able to decide on your own on what you want.

HotRod
02-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
The agents could care less where the player ends up. They are looking for the biggest payday so they can get a bigger cut.

You would think the player works for the agent by the sound of them. Some athletes don't even need them. Once you're a star, you should be able to decide on your own on what you want.

That's sad, but true.

JefftheBillsfan
02-12-2003, 03:04 PM
It almost sounds likes hes maturing..