PDA

View Full Version : Our needs are going to be really clear this next offseason

ICE74129
05-04-2006, 05:41 PM
With Dbrick and Mangold in New York, we need to address the pass rush greatly at LDE. I don't feel denny nor Kelsay will get the penetration and create the pressure needed from that position.

I think McCargo/ Tripplet will do fine. Schobel will start getting up there in years soon, just about the time D'Brick becomes a 10+ year All World LT. We are going to need to find ways to pressure the passer with the presumption Schobel will be neutralized. (and for those saying it won't happen...I remember Boscelli stonewalling Bruce smith with little to no help.)

OLB and Maybe ILB will need to be addressed esp if Spikes doesn't come back 100%. And keep this in mind, he might push that A Tendon so hard that he pops it again this year OR something else due to a muscle imbalance gives as well. Fortunately Crowell can step in. But Fletcher is getting old and Posey..well is posey.

Nate will need to be replaced I feel come this next offseason. Did we draft his replacement last weekend? We will see.

the #1 offseason priority is LT. Time to cut the crap and get a franchise type guy in here. RG needs to be addressed as well.

The million dollar question is, Will JP step up and play to his potential and lead this team to wins? If not, I say he is gone the first of next offseason and we will be using some of that nearly 30 mill in potential Cap room on another veteran that will be the clear cut starter. Unless Nall steps up and wins the job :lol:

The good things is we will have even more clear cut needs, TONS more cap room, if ralph has his way with the CBA he will have money to pay bigger bonuses as well.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-05-2006, 09:49 AM
I think you nailed every part of that, the big question is whether JP has what it takes this year if he gets a fair shot at it. If he does it then we dont have to look at Brady Quinn next year and we can focus on LT, DE, LB, WR, and possibly RB. If JP can do what we all think he can then this team could be looking at the playoffs in 2-3 years.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
I think you pretty much touched on everything, ICE. Good post!

I see Posey and Vincent being gone. Probably Denney as well. Maybe Fletcher, maybe not (if the Bills take Brooks in the supplemental draft, they will be positioning themselves for that possibility). Spikes could be moved to fill Fletcher's spot, with Crowell taking his sot or Posey's. Ellison will be groomed to play one of the OLB spots and will see a lot of playing time in his second season, even if he doesn't start.

What happens at QB determines the draft. If they fall on their faces, the Bills will pick very high and Brady Quinn could be the guy. If Losman starts to blossom, there will be no need to draft a QB high, although a young sub could be brought in to develop for a couple of years as a backup.

Offensive line will be the next highest priority--possibly even first round highest priority. If they think Peters can move to the left side and be really good and they can sign him to an extension, they may take a LT to work in on the right side for a year. Offensive guard is likely to be a high priority, too, if they do not go with an LT.

If the Bills trade Clements--and I now think they should--they can use that pick to get a replacement who can step in as a third CB, capable of stepping in for the starters in case of injury. A pass-rushing DE could be a priority in free agency or the draft as well.

Depending on what happens at WR this season, that's also a position that they might look to bolster, but a lesser priority than the aforementioned positions.

But, you hit it ICE--the needs will be very clear at this time next season. And, the team will be in a better position to fill the highest priority positions of need than this year, both in free agency and the draft.

Saratoga Slim
05-05-2006, 03:37 PM
good posts. the fact that we'll have a year of the new system under our belt will also help clarify the needs, as we'll have a better idea of which existing players can't hack it