05-05-2006, 12:40 AM
Ruff is up for Coach Of The Year! I think he should get it. :up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2433471

PUCKER
05-05-2006, 01:59 AM
:mad: So nobody thinks he should win it??? :zapper:

pyrrhonist
05-05-2006, 04:52 PM
He should get heavy consideration, but I doubt he'll win it.

Don't worry too much about no one posting in these types of threads, man....I had my preseason predictions up long ago, and I was the only one posting in it. :cry:

MTBillsFan
05-05-2006, 09:14 PM
He has to win it, outside of a few very faithful fans, I'm not sure that anyone really gave us a chance to make the playoffs.

chernobylwraiths
05-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Well, I think the Sabres did much better than expected. I think he should get it, but remember the LAST time a Sabres coach won coach of the year. :;

pyrrhonist
05-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I honestly think someone like Ron Wilson is ahead of Coach Ruff. Look at the adversity the Sharks dealt with up until Joe Thornton arrived. Ruff did a great job, but the Sabres never really struggled all season, until the very last month or so.

That being said, who knows what the criteria is for the Jack Adams. :huh:

PUCKER
05-05-2006, 09:30 PM
I honestly think someone like Ron Wilson is ahead of Coach Ruff. Look at the adversity the Sharks dealt with up until Joe Thornton arrived. Ruff did a great job, but the Sabres never really struggled all season, until the very last month or so.

That being said, who knows what the criteria is for the Jack Adams. :huh:

True,but Ruff put a team together of in the NHLs eyes - nobody and we were not expected to do so well or make the playoffs. :up:

YardRat
05-05-2006, 09:34 PM
I think he should get it...but then again, I'm a homer :D

Billscusey
05-05-2006, 10:21 PM
NO QUESTION!!! Not only has he coached this team to amazing success, but he made something out of nothing (no offense, I am a Sabres fan too, but let's be honest, everyone counted this team out early in the season!). Before tonight's game, I thought he should win it, after tonight's game, I think he should win it NOW!!

pyrrhonist
05-06-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, after now going back and reading who the candidates are......

Peter Laviolette, Carolina Hurricanes; Tom Renney, New York Rangers; Lindy Ruff, Buffalo Sabres

It's going to be a close call. All 3 of these coaches took teams that most didn't give a chance in Hell to the playoffs. And, since the award is supposedly only based on the regular season, you still have to consider Renney a threat. If it were considering the playoffs, too (Which I honestly feel they do sometimes), then it's just between Laviolette & Coach Ruff. We shall see how it how plays out in June.

chernobylwraiths
05-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Well, after now going back and reading who the candidates are......

Peter Laviolette, Carolina Hurricanes; Tom Renney, New York Rangers; Lindy Ruff, Buffalo Sabres

It's going to be a close call. All 3 of these coaches took teams that most didn't give a chance in Hell to the playoffs. And, since the award is supposedly only based on the regular season, you still have to consider Renney a threat. If it were considering the playoffs, too (Which I honestly feel they do sometimes), then it's just between Laviolette & Coach Ruff. We shall see how it how plays out in June.

I believe that Ruff had to work through a LOT more this season. Miller hurt early, Briere and Dumont out for extended times with sports hernia, Hecht missing time. Renney would only be a threat because of being from NY. His team has a superstar on it in Jagr, but it failed down the stretch and lost its division when it had a little adversity. Laviolette would have a better chance IMO than Renney, but his team didn't seem to go through any adversity and also did poorly down the stretch when it could have won home ice throughout.

JD
05-08-2006, 01:26 PM
I believe that Ruff had to work through a LOT more this season. Miller hurt early, Briere and Dumont out for extended times with sports hernia, Hecht missing time. Renney would only be a threat because of being from NY. His team has a superstar on it in Jagr, but it failed down the stretch and lost its division when it had a little adversity. Laviolette would have a better chance IMO than Renney, but his team didn't seem to go through any adversity and also did poorly down the stretch when it could have won home ice throughout.
Exactly. Sabres have no stars. Just a solid T-E-A-M.