PDA

View Full Version : FROM THE BENGALS WEBSITE: Looks like we have a chance at SPIKES!

lordofgun
02-11-2003, 08:58 AM
From the Bengals' own website! They're only planning to transition tag him!

---------------------------------

The Bengals are expected to make Spikes a transition free agent any day in the next 10. When asked if the Bengals can afford to put nearly $9 million into what is essentially two inside linebacker spots (middle linebacker Brian Simmons’ $3.8 million per year added to the $4.8 million transition tag), Lewis said, “Possibly. It’s a good thing to have two good players at the position. We want our guys to develop and we like our player. We think he has a good future. He has an option, we have options.”

Spikes has been lukewarm publicly about coming back to the Bengals despite the changes Lewis has brought in his first four weeks as coach. Lewis is looking for a sign that if the Bengals tender him the $4.8 million offer for this year, Spikes will realize there’s a 99.9 percent chance he’s going to be here because the Bengals can match any offer, and that he’ll buy into the offseason workouts instead of sitting out.

Lewis understands that the negative comments of players have been spewed in desperation, but his administration is clearly going to have a low threshold for such outbursts.

“They have been frustrated. We’ve got to change the frustration. It’s time to mature and move on,” Lewis said. “We want to have guys that want to be here. If they’re not happy with that, then there are 31 other teams. There are a lot of good players to go around.”

http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=1694#cont

don137
02-11-2003, 09:23 AM
I agree that it is a good sign. I disagree with the writer when it states that with a transition tag label there is a 99.9% chance he will stay because Spike deserves and will get franchise tag type money for his position and since the Bengals only transition tagged him indicates to me that they don'y think Takeo is worth the extra dollar or they don't want to tie up so much money at linebacker with Simmons. After the Bengals lose Takeo, hopefully to Buffalo, the Bengals FO will do there typical "it was not in the best interest of the team to give one player and one position that much money blah, blah blah.

kgun12
02-11-2003, 10:20 AM
Don I'm not sure they don't think he is worth it. I think it's one of two things. 1. They let someone else do the negociating. (they have been known to do this) 2. That's why the Bengals have the worst record over a decade!

JJamezz
02-11-2003, 10:39 AM
I'll say one thing, Lewis has a lot of balls coming into that situation and telling players that have been part of the league's laughing stock for several years to 'mature and move on..' All this from a guy who's been w/ the team for what, three weeks? What makes him think he's not gonna crash and burn like the rest of them...

That said, I realize he HAS to say stuff like that, I just think he's a little cocky.

Romes
02-11-2003, 10:50 AM
The Cincinnati reports that the Bengals are expected to transition tag him today. http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/02/11/wwwben2a11.html

Look at this quote from Lewis.
"He's going to have an opportunity to be a Bengal," Lewis said Monday when asked if Spikes would be designated. "At some point, we're going to have to, as they say, fish or cut bait - both of us, one way or another. I think everything will work out there fine."

That quote does not exude confidence about the Bengals re-signing Spikes.

Oh and JJ, great signature. I can't wait to see Spikes in that visor. :up:

Mr. Miyagi
02-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Nice sig, JJ! :up:

Bulldog
02-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Based on the comments from Lewis, I think if Spikes really wants out of Cincy, his wish will be granted.

lordofgun
02-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog
Based on the comments from Lewis, I think if Spikes really wants out of Cincy, his wish will be granted.

:pray:

BLeonard
02-11-2003, 01:17 PM
I think that the Bengals really have no intention of signing him under the transition tag. This is to buy time so they can work out a long term contract. Think about it... They at least have to LOOK like they are trying to keep Spikes, so when they lose him, they can say, "We tried to get him to stay" and not look like the cheapskates they are. They could have ASSURED he was gonna stay by simply slapping the Franchise Tag on him. If I'm the Bills, I offer him a contract and call the Bengals bluff.

-Bill

Earthquake Enyart
02-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by JJamezz
I'll say one thing, Lewis has a lot of balls coming into that situation and telling players that have been part of the league's laughing stock for several years to 'mature and move on..' All this from a guy who's been w/ the team for what, three weeks? What makes him think he's not gonna crash and burn like the rest of them...

That said, I realize he HAS to say stuff like that, I just think he's a little cocky.

You have to be pretty damn cocky to take this job in the first place.

I love the tough guy attitude. If he went in mealy mouthed swinging his man boobs, how in the hell would he turn that ship around?

Tatonka
02-11-2003, 01:44 PM
IMHO, really all it would take is Takeo to call up espn and tell them that there is no way in hell he would play for a sorry ass franchise like Cincy for another minute.

from Lewis's comments.. that should be enough to make him "cut-bait" as it would make it publicly apparent that takeo doesnt want to be there.. yet again

JJamezz
02-11-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart

You have to be pretty damn cocky to take this job in the first place.

:lol:

That or an masochist... (picturing Mike Browns high heeled foot on Lewis' blindfolded and gagged head... eeewww)

TigerJ
02-11-2003, 06:58 PM
I'd call the Bengals bluff. Spikes is worth 5 million. If they match then I'd check to see if they have any other free agent that could help Buffalo and go after him. At least then Spikes would get paid more and Cincinnati would be less able to resign other free agents. Cincinnati wants to play hardball. Let's play hardball.

TigerJ
02-11-2003, 07:25 PM
I just checked. The Bungles really don't have anyone else who is a UFA that Buffalo would have any interest in. They do have Lorenzo Neal who is a good blocking FB. He's already made his dislike of the Bungles known. On defence they have Bernard Whittington a backup DE who might be big enough to move inside, but if he's a backup for the Bungles he's not going to make an impact for Buffalo. They also have Cory Hall, a safety who spent last season on IR. Don't know if he'w any good or not.